Bugs

Hank Hill 0530

We are going to Alaska May 20. Are the mosquitoes bad enough to need repellent? I have heard that we do and that we don't.

If you are just doing a round trip cruise out of Seattle or Vancouver, you won't need repellent. There's enough wind along the coast that the mosquitoes don't hang around.

If you are taking a tour from Anchorage to Fairbanks, you probably won't need the repellent. We did a tour in May and didn't see any insects, but it depends upon when "the thaw" happened and how warm it has become in Fairbanks. We understand that July and August can be a real "feeding frenzy".

If you are just doing a round trip cruise out of Seattle or Vancouver, you won't need repellent. There's enough wind along the coast that the mosquitoes don't hang around.

If you are taking a tour from Anchorage to Fairbanks, you probably won't need the repellent. We did a tour in May and didn't see any insects, but it depends upon when "the thaw" happened and how warm it has become in Fairbanks. We understand that July and August can be a real "feeding frenzy".

Sigh... Exactly when we will be there. Ah, well. I may get a "hat net" and will definitely get some 100% DEET.

Yep. That's why we're going to Montana first. :) We visited Glacier National Park once before and are going back again before heading north. We figure taking it slowly will allow for side trips and such or, if we find someplace we really like a lot, we can just stay longer. We have a little teardrop trailer - mostly a queen bed on wheels - and we camp 3-4 days (rarely 5 unless there is a shower) and then get a room somewhere.I like that our teardrop has a door on each side. No crawling around. Just sit on the edge and swing in. Easy in and easy out. Important with a bad back.

This is a picture of our "big rig":

55adb6ff-33d0-4d12-b276-79a7255803a1_zpsc5cltxu3.jpg

Thrak, I love it. :D.

Tony