Star Baltics 5/11/15

Kaboochi

AWENINAZ , I was in a DOS, so got priority disembarkation, but I don't think that changed anything much, simply towards the front of the line; we got a letter from the concierge the night before that clearly indicated no issues if you booked excursions through them or another tour company. But you needed to bring your passport and tour tickets/info... There were NO issues booking through SPB and no threats by NCL because of it (as I have read others speak of). Only complaint I have is the same all the NCL booked people had; the immigration officers are slow and largely unfriendly... Key thing is to give them your tour ticket and I would suppose to book with a reputable company that you trust will handle the paperwork.

Edited by travelrevealed

Pools were open normal hours and were heated to 80-82F; adult only hot tubs in the front of the ship were never opened, but the hot tubs next to the pools were. As others stated, the temp outside was fairly cold, so the pools went fairly unused. Not sure on the slides, never saw anyone use them, I would guess they were closed--your lips would be blue before you hit the pool otherwise...

Thank you. I imagine even if the slides are closed, the kiddo will be happy to have the pool. I think the forecast is high 60's when we leave Copenhagen so hopefully that first sea day will be alright. Thanks much!

It is so good to read recent opinions on this Cruise on Norwegian Star, and especially reading about how good the ship's condition is. It really makes me want to be there now, although I still have to wait until July.

BTW, great reports about disembarking on St. Petersburg, I guess everyone guesses how that usually goes.

One question, I have also booked the two day NCL excursion in St. Petersburg, any thoughts on it? Was it good? Any idea how does it compare to excursions booked through private companies?

Another question, I have also booked the Berlin excursion through NCL. I read that it gets back quite late to Wanermunde (and the Star)... any problem finding something to eat that late with so many (hungry) people returning from the excursion?

Cheers :)

I have also booked the two day NCL excursion in St. Petersburg. Any idea how does it compare to excursions booked through private companies?

Another question, I have also booked the Berlin excursion through NCL. I read that it gets back quite late to Wanermunde (and the Star)... any problem finding something to eat that late with so many (hungry) people returning from the excursion?

We did 2 day St. Petersburg with a tour company, but I imagine the NCL excursion goes to the same spots more or less. We saw the NCL excursions (with their stickers on their coats) a few times. The ship excursions were much larger groups - 40+ compared to our group of 14. We were in a Mercedes van vs. a huge bus.

The train from Berlin got back about 8:45pm. Everyone on the train was on the Berlin excursion. The line to get back on board is long and time consuming. It was 9:30 by the time we were in our room. The Aqua MDR and the buffet were open until 10:30 and O'Sheehans was also open. We went to Aqua and had a nice meal after a very long day. The next day is a sea day so you can sleep in.

Could be him. Younger guy with a big smile and fast service. He seemed to have some experience on other ships. He mentioned the Breakaway and maybe going to the Escape in the Fall. Have a wonderful cruise.

That really does sound like it is him. He went to Breakaway after the Spirit. He is always smiling and joking. A really likeable young fella. I shall be going there to see if it is him on the first day of our cruise.

Thank you for your kind wishes, we are really looking forwards to going on this cruise of Norway all the way to the North Cape for the midnight sun on the shortest day. Our first ever cruise was on the Star in 2008 and it sold us on cruising with NCL.

It is so good to read recent opinions on this Cruise on Norwegian Star, and especially reading about how good the ship's condition is. It really makes me want to be there now, although I still have to wait until July.

BTW, great reports about disembarking on St. Petersburg, I guess everyone guesses how that usually goes.

One question, I have also booked the two day NCL excursion in St. Petersburg, any thoughts on it? Was it good? Any idea how does it compare to excursions booked through private companies?

Cheers :)

There are some differences between tour stops on NCL vs private operators, hence the reason we chose SPB--there is a ton of overlap, but it just depends what you want to see; I know the Russian Swan Lake ballet was important to us, but can't recall the specific tour stop differences, just that they do exist.

Berlin was a long day, and it was worth seeing the concentration camp. There was no issues getting food on the ship. They also give you something on the train ride--a buttered pretzel and box of water on the way out and a sack lunch on the way back--contained a sandwich made of "rocket salad" (no idea what that was) a piece of fruit, and candy bar, and a box of water--I did not eat much of it, but it was enough to hold ya over.

There are some differences between tour stops on NCL vs private operators, hence the reason we chose SPB--there is a ton of overlap, but it just depends what you want to see; I know the Russian Swan Lake ballet was important to us, but can't recall the specific tour stop differences, just that they do exist.

Berlin was a long day, and it was worth seeing the concentration camp. There was no issues getting food on the ship. They also give you something on the train ride--a buttered pretzel and box of water on the way out and a sack lunch on the way back--contained a sandwich made of "rocket salad" (no idea what that was) a piece of fruit, and candy bar, and a box of water--I did not eat much of it, but it was enough to hold ya over.

Rocket Salad is arugula

We skipped Berlin as we did not want to visit concentration camps. Warnemunde and Rostock were quaint towns, the 1st being a fishing village with cobbled walks, great bakeries and nice shops. It was a quick train ride to Rostock, which is a larger town with a huge market square, many outdoor cafes and the best bratwurst we have ever had. I think this port stop offers many tour options for all. We did it without a tour as it was very easy to navigate.

Great to hear so many positive comments about this cruise, thanks for sharing! Looking forward to it ourselves.

Does anyone one on this sailing remember seeing the Jazz Brunch, Murder Mystery lunch, or Chef's Table in the daily programs? Thanks!

Does anyone one on this sailing remember seeing the Jazz Brunch, Murder Mystery lunch, or Chef's Table in the daily programs? Thanks!

No Murder Mystery lunch offered on the Star - no Second City acts at all. I don't remember seeing the Jazz Brunch offered. The Chef's Table was advertised in the dailies, but still had space the morning of the last sea day so I don't know if it happened or not.

No Murder Mystery lunch offered on the Star - no Second City acts at all. I don't remember seeing the Jazz Brunch offered. The Chef's Table was advertised in the dailies, but still had space the morning of the last sea day so I don't know if it happened or not.

Thank you- guess we will have to wait and see what happens on our sailing!

We booked 2 half day tours with NCL and were extremely satisfied. The guides, 3 in their 20s were extremely detailed and their English was perfect. First day: Hermitage with the Gold Room. Our bus was divided into 3 groups of 13, a perfect size. 2 groups were in enlish and one was in German. We wore head sets and just listened to our guide. Many stairs but worth the up and down climbs. The jewels, gilded decore and furnitings we so enjoyed being there. The gift shops had beautiful quality painted boxes, the best we saw in 2 days. After our time there we went to a huge gift shop, got some snacks, a few free tastes of vodka and bought souviners. Very reasonable.

Second day: Katherine's Summer Palace. A must see! We were fortunate to be the first group in so we had plenty of time to explore the beautiful gold gilded rooms. The Amber Room was breath taking. By the time we moved outside to tour the gardens the lines enter were quite long and the tour crowds were many. The grounds also were breath taking, especially with all of the tulips, daffodils and other bulbs in full bloom. The drive was about 45 min each way and the guides provided an interesting commentary the entire time. I would highly recommend these tours.

We knew that 10 hour tours would become all muddled together and we are glad we picked 2 highlights to thoroughly absorb the information about what we saw.

The first day going thru immigration was slow Nd frustrating but we had plenty of time to check out the gift shops before we left. The 2nd day we sailed thru. So if the lines are long & slow, don't panic. You will make your tour. Hope this helps.

We're joining the Star in Copenhagen next Friday 12 June. Can anyone please tell me what power outlets are in the staterooms? I have to carry EU & UK for my trip. Do I need US too?

Thanks

We're joining the Star in Copenhagen next Friday 12 June. Can anyone please tell me what power outlets are in the staterooms? I have to carry EU & UK for my trip. Do I need US too?

Thanks

There is one 220 outlet and one 110 (US) outlet in the standard staterooms. They are located on a desktop area in the cabin and are not in the bathroom. There is an outlet in the bathroom for shaver only. Bring along the US adapter to utilize the second outlet. Have a great cruise.