Down to 3 hotels in South Beach

Mango Mike

Trying to decide on which hotel to stay at (1 night pre-cruise) in South Beach. We've researched over and over and have finally narrowed it down to 3, so we thought we might ask if anyone here has stayed (or knows about) any of these:

1) The Avalon (7th & Ocean Drive)

Standard queen room - $200/night

Ocean view - don't even ask

2) The Beacon (7th & Ocean Drive)

Superior king room - $293/night

Ocean view - $333/night

3) The Breakwater (10th & Ocean Drive)

Superior king room - $234/night

Ocean view - $273/night

Plus taxes and fees (and valet parking) on all 3 which will up the prices a bit.

Tripadvisor and other rating "sites" give all 3 of these places very good reviews (albeit, you'll always have those that are never happy no matter what).

Thanks

I like the Avalon because it includes breakfast and you can also head over to the oceanfront South Seas hotel and use their oceanfront pool or have breakfast there.

The people watching on the front porch of the Avalon is excellent.

As for oceanview rooms, the hotels are set so far back from the water (even the oceanfront hotels) that the view is okay at best. I'd skip the oceanview room. You also have to be above the tree line (4th Floor?) to see anything.

I like the Avalon because it includes breakfast and you can also head over to the oceanfront South Seas hotel and use their oceanfront pool or have breakfast there.

The people watching on the front porch of the Avalon is excellent.

As for oceanview rooms, the hotels are set so far back from the water (even the oceanfront hotels) that the view is okay at best. I'd skip the oceanview room. You also have to be above the tree line (4th Floor?) to see anything.

I was in hopes you would reply - you seem to know your way around the area quite well.

I agree on the ocean view rooms. Our only concern is, we would rather see a glimpse of "something" rather than the side of another building. Whether or not it's worth the additional $$, we'll have to decide.

Our initial choice is the Avalon, but what do you know about the other 2?

I was in hopes you would reply - you seem to know your way around the area quite well.

I agree on the ocean view rooms. Our only concern is, we would rather see a glimpse of "something" rather than the side of another building. Whether or not it's worth the additional $$, we'll have to decide.

Our initial choice is the Avalon, but what do you know about the other 2?

Did you check and see what the deal is with City View rooms?

Honestly, it the all the years I've been hanging out on Miami Beach (South Beach since the mid 1990s), I've never spent any time in my room. Ever.

The Breakwater is directly on Ocean Drive in the middle. I don't know much about the hotel other than it is home to several bars/restaurants and was renovated about five or six years ago.

The Beacon is a more upscale hotel than the Breakwater and is also on Ocean Drive. I've had drinks there before but nothing really impressed me about it but that is hard to do in a city which has iconic design hotels like The Delano, Setai, Mondrian, The National, etc.

They are all three pretty good places and would probably be top five hotels in another city. South Beach has a plethora of upscale, luxury hotels.

We book Loews from suggestions here and got a great rate!!!! Room is kind of small for four people.....but we will make do with the great location. Probably wont eat at the hotel, looks extremely expensive but will head out and search out cheaper and decent meals!

Leah