Just Off the Valor..Carnival Delivered Another GREAT Vacation for US!

abisha

I highly recommend this itinerary. We saild out of San Juan at night, which I really loved. We loved this part of the Carribbean (St. Thomas, St. Marten, Barbados, St. Kitts and St. Lucia). St. Lucia blew us away..LOVED IT! And St. Kitts too. Swam with the sea turtles in Barbados (there were tons of them..thanks to our tour guide who knew a special spot to take our group), which was a great experience.

Loved the Valor..was in an ocean suite with lots of extra room..loved it but wouldn't pick that location again. Right near elevators which we liked, but problem was not with elevator noise or people noise...but rather entertainment noise travelling up from deck 3 lobby entertainment as there is a railing with overlook down from deck 7 to deck 3 right outside of the cabin. You can hear everything over the microphone from whomever is performing..up til late at night til they are done. If you book a few rooms down from opening of elevator lobby you should be fine. We drowned it out with our TV, but I feel that was a major design flaw on the ship. They should have just closed up the wall outside of those glass elevators so you cannot look down (or at least should have put glass window there if you want to look down). Our steward, Randy was great though.

To me, food selection and quality in MDR was slightly lacking compared to my previous cruises on Carnival. It seemed the menu changed and didn't have the selections I had seen in the past. Our wait staff was great.

I'd be happy to answer any questions. I cannot comment about the entertainment too much as we only went to one show ...the 80's show and saw a couple of comedians who were absolutely hilarious.

We had Jaque as our cruise director (again..same as last year on Freedom).

I also did the tour of the ship and it was GREAT! I also would highly recommend that to anyone..well worth it!

Ask away!

Thanks for sharing with us! As you can see by my signature this will be our 2nd time on the valor, however different itinerary.

Did you do private excursions or ones from the ship? If private did you book ahead or just winged it as you got off the ship.

Please share what you did at each port... any good places for local cuisine? drinks? shopping?

Please too, anyone that has done this itinerary feel free to chime in!! :D

Thank you! Glad you had a great time!!

We booked excursions (non Carnival) on our own ahead of time..all fantastic!

With recommendations from folks on our roll call, we booked Spencer Ambrose Land and Sea tour on St. Lucia..the highlight of our trip. It was the best tour I've ever gone on...really! It's long..7 hours, but worth every moment. His brother, named Small, took us in a small group by Van and did the tour of the island which was breathtaking. We then got in Spencer's boat (with newly purchased 100,000 outboard motors..that thing went fast and lots of fun) and taken to the beach. Got back in the boat for the sea portion of the tour...awesome and so scenic! It cost $90 pp ..well worth it (included tons to see and a really nice buffet lunch at a roadside restaurant on a lovely porch which was very relaxing and a nice touch). The van and boat are stocked with unlimited soda, water and beer.

In Barbados, DH found "Thriller Ocean Tours" online..run by Steven Tellir and accompanied by his daughter Kim..great hosts and took excellent care of our small group of around 15 or so. We were taken in his speed boat to three snorkelling spots...not crowded at all (he purposely takes you before the crowds get to these spots). First stop is swimming with the sea turtles..tons of them (not just one or two like some of the other tours)..then to two other snorkelling spots and then jumped off to swim near a beach. Water was crystal clear..so beautiful! Loved this tour..only $60 per person..much less than the others and got more out of it. I highly recommend as well.

The boat on both excursions was fast, so you need to not be afraid of that.

For St. Kitts, I believe it was called Island Paradise Tours. We ended up with private tour! Only $30 per person..just did a basic tour of the city..then to the overlook which you can see mountainous peninsula with Nevis..and the Atlantic Ocean on one side and the Caribbean on the other. We went to Friars beach...but it was down the end where no seaweed...beach was just like a Corona commercial..gorgeous! As to go to the restaurant at the beginning (Coromba ..or something like that)..much nicer than shipwreck beach area according to others. We loved it.

Just took taxi to Coki on St. Thomas and didn't do anything on St. Marten..stayed on ship.

Hope this helps!

DH and I are first time cruisers and are going to be on the Valor in a few weeks! We spent a week in St. Lucia last year and fell in love with this island! So looking forward to going back ( even if it's just for the day!)

We're thinking about this ship or the RCI

Jewel of the seas, is there lots of stuff to do on the ship, what other things would you say is the pros and cons? If you had to do it all over again, would you still go?

We're thinking about this ship or the RCI

Jewel of the seas, is there lots of stuff to do on the ship, what other things would you say is the pros and cons? If you had to do it all over again, would you still go?

I would do this cruise again in a heartbeat! I'm not sure if Jewel of the Seas goes to both St. Kitts and St. Lucia..both of which you wouldn't want to miss. For us they were our favorites. St. Kitts was the cleanest, neatest island we've ever seen..not a blade of grass out of place! We got a kick out of the cute little monkeys which we got to have our picture with. St. Lucia was like no other island I've ever seen. Driving through the winding road of the mountains with spectacular views looking down on the villages and ocean was amazing..so scenic..the Pitons were beautiful (we drove around them in the boat as well). Even their ports were lovely and kept up well (nicely landscaped, etc.).

Pros: Loved leaving out of San Juan at night..easy port to go on and off ship (and a CVS right down the street to get your water/soda and snacks and other things you might need). Very fun and festive for sail away on deck at night. Also one of the best itineraries Carnival offers...gorgeous islands in the lesser Antilles.

Cons: This is a port intensive itinerary with only one at sea day which is on second full day of the trip. Can also be more expensive. More ports = more money spent, etc.

Carnival does have a good amount of things to do on the ship..some we love, some we have no interest in, but we always find something to do..or just stay in our room and relax. We enjoyed our balcony alot too.

I would compare closely the two itineraries and what each ship offers and make sure those are things you would take part in or use. If RCI has a rock climbing wall, is that something you'd really use, etc.

I hope this helps.

We are going on this itinerary in 60 days!! Did you by chance keep the fun Times? I haven't seen any lately and was curious if you could post them?

I always keep the Fun Times but I have no idea how post anything here. Sorry I am not much help with that, but maybe I can answer some questions.

DH and I are first time cruisers and are going to be on the Valor in a few weeks! We spent a week in St. Lucia last year and fell in love with this island! So looking forward to going back ( even if it's just for the day!)

We'd love to go back there too. I loved seeing Marigold Bay (if that's the correct name). It was the mangrove area with the luxury homes of the rich high on the cliffs and the luxury yachts. I believe it was the site where they filmed the old classic movie "Dr. Doolittle".

Enjoy your cruise...you'll love it!

We'd love to go back there too. I loved seeing Marigold Bay (if that's the correct name). It was the mangrove area with the luxury homes of the rich high on the cliffs and the luxury yachts. I believe it was the site where they filmed the old classic movie "Dr. Doolittle".

Enjoy your cruise...you'll love it!

Thanks! We are looking forward to it! Marigot Bay is beautiful!1915448573_ImageUploadedByCruiseCriticForums1369280055.758956.jpg.2a5e197c19ec6e6757503876615ada41.jpg

Archived