LHR train to London

We are planning our first trip to London before a TA cruise in November. What is the difference between taking the train or the bus besides cost? Should we purchase tickets in advance? What do we do with our luggage on the train?

We are staying at The Grovesner in Victoria so getting to the hotel is not a problem. Just wondering which would be better.

Thanks

Sue

The bus is a bit easier. If you take the tube, you will need to change trains at Hammersmith and handle your own luggage, on the coach, you will be able to see where you are going, the driver will stow your bags and you are guaranteed a seat.

Travelling with luggage - No contest in my view.

The bus is a bit easier. If you take the tube, you will need to change trains at Hammersmith and handle your own luggage, on the coach, you will be able to see where you are going, the driver will stow your bags and you are guaranteed a seat.

Travelling with luggage - No contest in my view.

Bob++ - are you referring to a specific bus?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are planning our first trip to London before a TA cruise in November. What is the difference between taking the train or the bus besides cost? ...

We are staying at The Grovesner in Victoria so getting to the hotel is not a problem.

Can you please clarify which part of your trip you're asking about? The thread title suggests it's about getting from Heathrow airport to your hotel in Victoria; but the second paragraph says "getting to the hotel is not a problem" which makes it sound like you're asking about the difference between train and bus/coach for getting from London to Southampton (or whichever port you're sailing from). Which is it?

If it really is about getting from the airport to the hotel, then when you say "train" do you include the Tube? (The other trains from the airport to central London don't go to Victoria, so you'd still have to get across town if you were to do it like that.) How much luggage will you have? Can you carry it up stairs amounting to about 1½ storeys of a normal building? If you take the coach from the airport to Victoria, can you move your luggage the 400 yards from the coach station to your hotel? What time of the day, and on which day of the week, do you arrive at Heathrow?

All of these things would be useful to know to give you advice about the best public transport route for you, and to see whether you might be better off just getting a car transfer with your luggage.

Can you please clarify which part of your trip you're asking about? The thread title suggests it's about getting from Heathrow airport to your hotel in Victoria; but the second paragraph says "getting to the hotel is not a problem" which makes it sound like you're asking about the difference between train and bus/coach for getting from London to Southampton (or whichever port you're sailing from). Which is it?

If it really is about getting from the airport to the hotel, then when you say "train" do you include the Tube? (The other trains from the airport to central London don't go to Victoria, so you'd still have to get across town if you were to do it like that.) How much luggage will you have? Can you carry it up stairs amounting to about 1½ storeys of a normal building? If you take the coach from the airport to Victoria, can you move your luggage the 400 yards from the coach station to your hotel? What time of the day, and on which day of the week, do you arrive at Heathrow?

All of these things would be useful to know to give you advice about the best public transport route for you, and to see whether you might be better off just getting a car transfer with your luggage.

Sorry for the confusion. I am talking about from LHR to London. Our hotel is very close to Victoria Station. I'm from Chicago where "train" is the Metra interurban, and your "tube" is our "L" or subway. Our arrival is 7:30 AM on a Thursday.

I'm wondering if there is a passenger train, not the tube from LHR to London. The coach is budget friendly but it may be a long ride.

Sue

There is no 'overground' train; although the 'tube' does run overground for some of the way. Both coach and tube (bearing in mind that you have to change trains) take a little over an hour, although the coach might get delayed by traffic.

I'm wondering if there is a passenger train, not the tube from LHR to London.
The Tube is a passenger train. There is no hard distinction between one railway type and another.

Your railway options are basically either:-

1. Heathrow Express or TfL Rail from Heathrow to Paddington, and then Tube or taxi from there to Victoria. This journey by Tube is best done by taking the Circle Line anti-clockwise. But Paddington is nowhere near Victoria, so you may find this further transfer irritating, I doubt that you would save much time by this route over taking the Tube all the way, even if you were to use the Heathrow Express.
  2. Tube from Heathrow to Victoria: Piccadilly Line to Barons Court and then an easy cross-platform change to the District Line to Victoria.

Given the time of day at which you are likely to be travelling (the back end of the morning peak), you may find it easier to change at Hammersmith than Barons Court if you're taking the second option.

The advantage of arriving at Victoria by Tube is that your hotel is at Victoria station and close to the Tube station. Your best bet would probably be to use one of the exits from the Tube station into Victoria (mainline) station. In particular, do not use the new exit to Cardinal Place.

Sorry for the confusion. I am talking about from LHR to London. Our hotel is very close to Victoria Station. I'm from Chicago where "train" is the Metra interurban, and your "tube" is our "L" or subway. Our arrival is 7:30 AM on a Thursday.

I'm wondering if there is a passenger train, not the tube from LHR to London. The coach is budget friendly but it may be a long ride.

Sue

Take the express bus into Victoria