Excursion Ideas

Cruzin'Kris

2nd Cruise and 1st time in Progresso. Cruising with 2 teenagers and a 9 yr old. I would like to walk around the port and then go to Merida. We are doing a beach day in Cozumel so I want my boys to experience the culture as much as possible in Progresso. Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do an excursion through your ship. Progreso is really the gateway to the Mayan culture and the cruise lines have some fantastic short or long excursions that are suitable for you. Progreso itself is a tiny fishing village, dirt roads, lots of poverty, very few people speak English. There really is nothing around the port, out of the long long long pier, but shops for the tourists. If you aren't doing an excursion, then you have to take the free bus down the pier to town, then get off there in town.

When we were at Progreso a year ago, we did the excursion to Uxmal ruins. It was absolutely amazing. You can also go to Chichen Itza from that port.

I have a little video:

Yes, it is a 6+ hour tour, but it was amazing and the guides were fabulous. There are others that are shorter to other places, if you want that.

Do an excursion through your ship. Progreso is really the gateway to the Mayan culture and the cruise lines have some fantastic short or long excursions that are suitable for you. Progreso itself is a tiny fishing village, dirt roads, lots of poverty, very few people speak English. There really is nothing around the port, out of the long long long pier, but shops for the tourists. If you aren't doing an excursion, then you have to take the free bus down the pier to town, then get off there in town.

When we were at Progreso a year ago, we did the excursion to Uxmal ruins. It was absolutely amazing. You can also go to Chichen Itza from that port.

I have a little video:

Yes, it is a 6+ hour tour, but it was amazing and the guides were fabulous. There are others that are shorter to other places, if you want that.

Thank you for your suggestions and the video! Mayan Ruins is def on my bucket list. Just not sure the kids will agree! Lol.

We have decided to do Uxmal for our excursion. Thank you for your advice. I think we will use a private tour instead of Carnivals tour though. There is a huge price difference and both companies I am looking at have very good reviews.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have a little video:

Can you tell me if there is places to eat at Uxmal?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, there is a very nice sit down restaurant there inside the shopping area at the parking lot. Prices looked very good, also. Plus there are some nice shops there with prices 1/2 of what you pay for same items at Cozumel, etc.

Yes, there is a very nice sit down restaurant there inside the shopping area at the parking lot. Prices looked very good, also. Plus there are some nice shops there with prices 1/2 of what you pay for same items at Cozumel, etc.

Yay! That is really good to know! Having two teenagers plus a nine-year-old, all boys, they stay hungry LOL and we are doing a beach club in Cozumel so I was hoping to do a little bit of shopping in Progresso. Thank you for all of your advice!

• 2 months later...