La Seyne-sur-Mer to Cassis DIY

bobmacliberty

Our cruise stops at Toulon (docking at La Seyne-sur-Mer) and we'd like to take a trip to Cassis for the day. We plan to take the train from the Gare de La Seyne - Six Fours station to Cassis and back. I've got the train part figured out, but am looking for help getting from the ship to the train, from the train to Cassis and then back.

In La Seyne-sur-Mer, I realize that I can take the No. 8 bus from near the dock to Gare de La Seyne - Six Fours. Although it costs more, we would prefer to take a taxi for convenience and speed. Will there be plenty of taxis near the port or should be plan to take the bus?

I also realize that the Cassis train station is a 30+ minute walk to the Cassis port area. Will there be taxis available at the train station or will we need to call for a taxi when we arrive. If we need to call, is there a single phone number to call or are there multiple taxi companies, each with their own phone number?

For the return trip, will it be easy to find a taxi in the Cassis port area to take us to the station? How about from Gare de La Seyne - Six Fours back to the ship. Will there be taxis waiting or will we need to call? It looks like both train stations are smaller and may therefore not have taxis waiting.

Thanks for your help!

Can't help with all of it, but we have been to Cassis several times over the years as we have friends in a nearby town. We are usually slightly out of season and in their car.

The port is a fair walk from the train station, downhill, but a long and quite steep tiring walk back up to the station when you are leaving. We did see a public bus one time when we were there and I found it online. It is called La Marcouline. It runs between the train station and a stop quite close to the port. I don't know how old or accurate the online timetable is, so I would contact the Tourist Info Office in Cassis to check for up-to-date timetable info for your date and day of the week as they can vary from season to season and whether it is a weekday or a weekend.

Any train stations where no taxis are waiting outside will usually have signage with a taxi number you can call.

If going in summer, there are shuttle buses which run into town from the park and ride car parks, but I do not know how close these are to the station.

Maybe others can help with your other questions.

Thank you for your reply. I will check out the bus schedules and have a plan in mind that will work with bus and train times. Do you recall seeing taxis in the Cassis waterfront area? Would be nice to just take a taxi to the train station such that we arrive a few minutes before the train is scheduled to leave.

Sorry, but I never noticed taxis because we were never looking for one, on the other hand a bus is not easy to miss.

I think it highly unlikely that there are no taxis in Cassis, but there may not be a stance with waiting taxis and you would need to phone for one.

Ask the Tourist Info Office the same question when you check the bus timetable with them.

Also if you visit in summer, ask them how far the park and ride shuttle buses are from the train station in case these are also an option.