Walking Distance to Tour Guides of Various Ports

Delta Dear

My husband, like many others, has trouble walking long distances. Due to poor circulation, his legs cramp and he must stop frequently to rest before taking more steps.

On our recent Carnival cruise, we discovered the LONG walk at Mahogany Bay to get to the shopping village and to our tour guide. The minute we stepped off of the ship, his spirit took a big hit. He said, " I have to go back to the ship, I can't do that walk."

Fortunately, we were able to borrow a wheel chair to get us to the village shop. We had to leave the chair there in the first shop and walk the rest of the way through the village, but at least there were places to sit and rest.

As we plan our next cruise, I am trying to access the walks that we will face in St. Martin, St. Lucia, and St. Kitts.

It seems to me it would be very helpful to have a list of the walks that mobility challenged will face. Most of us in that position do not feel that renting a chair or a scooter just to use in ports makes much sense. Would it be possible to compile such a list?

It would also be helpful if there were resources listed, for example, in Cozumel, there were rickshaws. In Nassau, there was a bus you could use. If there are similiar services in various ports, knowing that would relieve a lot of anxiety.

Just a suggestion to those gathering resources.

but a lot depends on where your ship docks.

When my injured leg was at its worst, I could do about 30 feet without a rest. It took me months to be able to walk out to my own mail box. Thus our abilities vary.

I saw HC parking places at a theater complex in North Texas that were on the opposite side of a steep climb to the door of the theater. What ehlp is that?

Perhaps we should post results and distances when we return from a trip and make a sticky at the top of the page.

Delta Dear, I'm not fully understanding why you would state "Most of us in that position do not feel that renting a chair or a scooter just to use in ports makes much sense." IMO most people do not agree with that statement. Getting off the ship is a big part of most people's cruise experience and if renting a scooter allows me to do that without stressing my body out walking ( I have MS) I'm going to rent the scooter. Regardless of how few times I use it. It's gives me a great sense of independence. Yes I know it still may be limiting even with a scooter but at least I will be able to see some part of the port and a change of scenery. Afterall I spent a lot of money on air/cruise already so the additional cost of scooter rental for comfort, independence and accessibility becomes insignificant.

Thank you xxxooo cruiser, I should not have stated what I did about the rental of scooters for accessing ports. I apologize because I fully understand what you said. You are right about taking full advantage of the investment you have made in the cruise not be able to enjoy it to the fullest.

We have only been on two cruises and you are correct. My husband does not need a scooter on the ship because he can sit down in various spots along the way to places on ship.

I way overstepped my bounds in saying what, "Most people," are willing to do. He is not willing to rent a scooter and that is what I should have stated. If he were, I would not have to be so concerned with distances to have to walk.

Thank you for your comments, and again, I am sorry if my statement came off in a rude manner.

Delta Dear , Fully understand. I wish there was someway that your husband could be convinced that using a scooter is truly to add to his enjoyment. That it even adds to your's as well. It's your vacation too ! Everyone I know that fought it, once they rented one said they should never been so stubborn about.

I can understand your DH not wanting to rent a scooter or use a w/c in port, it is very important to feel independent as long as possible, However, would he consider using a walking stick/cane that has a seat attached to it so he can sit when needed. We have a friend that used it all over Europe and never felt like he was 'disabled'...he said so many people asked where he got it and that he could have sold them. He now uses his 'seat' when we go to events or museums.

I use a scooter/and w/c on cruises but I have no choice. It would be a shame for him (and you) not to enjoy a cruise to the fullest.

My husband does will use his cane and did actually agree to me renting a scooter when we spent 3 days at Disney World. He is over 350 lbs. last time I looked for a cane with a seat, I could not find one that would accommodate his weight. I even suggested a Rollator for him since it has a seat. Nope, he wouldn't agree to that either.

We don't cruise until Jan.30, 2011, maybe I can convince him to accept some help via some wheels of some sort. So far we have a balcony cabin selected on the Carnival Miracle. I did not request a handicapped room since he is mobile on ship. If he were to agree to a scooter, it would have to be a large one due to his size. I wonder if we would have any trouble switching to a HC cabin in that case.

I appreciate your suggestions. Obviously, it is not an issue to him. You know some men don't even give second thoughts to the details of a trip.I'll keep working on him and the possibilites for easier and more enjoyable travel for both of us. Thanks for your understanding.

My husband does will use his cane and did actually agree to me renting a scooter when we spent 3 days at Disney World. He is over 350 lbs. last time I looked for a cane with a seat, I could not find one that would accommodate his weight. I even suggested a Rollator for him since it has a seat. Nope, he wouldn't agree to that either. If for some reason your husband decides to rent a scooter, the scooter required to support his weight of 350# will not fit through the doorway of a standard cabin. You will definitely need to book an HC cabin.

We don't cruise until Jan.30, 2011, maybe I can convince him to accept some help via some wheels of some sort. So far we have a balcony cabin selected on the Carnival Miracle. I did not request a handicapped room since he is mobile on ship. If he were to agree to a scooter, it would have to be a large one due to his size. I wonder if we would have any trouble switching to a HC cabin in that case. In the world of traveling with a disability Jan, 30, 2011 isn't far off when it comes to booking HC cabins. A large percentage of people needing a HC Cabins book at least 1 year out. I'm leaving the end of September and booked my HC back in April 2009....Well over a year in advance. It's virtually impossible to book one at last at the last minute.

I appreciate your suggestions. Obviously, it is not an issue to him. You know some men don't even give second thoughts to the details of a trip.I'll keep working on him and the possibilites for easier and more enjoyable travel for both of us. Thanks for your understanding.

Good Luck !

Delta Dear: On our cruise thru the Panama Canal, we also did the Mexican Riviera and I used a wheel chair in the ports we visited. My friend pushed me around. When we got back to Colorado, he had to have a hernia operation and I don't weigh anything near 350#. Needless to say, I have since bought an electric scooter and we go pretty much where we want. Hardly a day goes by without a visit to Walmart just to get out and move about. Last November, we cruised to the Mexican Riviera and I could at least get off the ship in port. In September, we will be taking our 4th cruise to Alaska and I should be able to get around those ports without any trouble. Your husband needs to think of how pushing him will effect you.

Kay

I just want to jump in to add that having a scooter doesn't ensure that one will be able to get off the ship in port. The gangways are arranged in such a manner that often there are steps to get off the ship, rather than a ramp. If you have to rent a supersized scooter, the weight of it might prevent the crew from being able to carry it down the steps. We saw that happen to a poor older, larger, woman on our Panama Canal cruise.

My husband has a relatively light weight travel scooter which two crew members were able to carry down the steps.

Also, any time you have to use a tender, it is unlikely you can use a scooter (and sometimes a chair) on it.

I think part of his reluctance is that he doesn't want to be bothered with what to do with a piece of equipment once he reaches the port. Since he is able to walk short distances without problems, he'll just have to stop and rest.

Of course, for at least 7 YEARS, the doctors have told him the more he walks, the better. They suggest that if he walks regularly he will be able to increase the time between cramping. Has he done that ? NO

Maybe I can work on that endurance training. We have 169 days until we cruise. Wish me luck in getting him off the couch. Hmm, if the remote would only suddenly disappear,,,, that's a whole other matter !

Thanks for your ideas and letting me vent !

Delta Dear...I'm going to add my 2 cents. I got a travel scooter about 15 months ago. My issue is long distance walking and long standing. Airports terrified me. Long lines for security and in Toronto, we also get in line to go through US customs. My scooter has been a God send for both my husband and I. I don't get anxious when I see a line and I don't complain about my knees (arthritis). He says its one of the best things I ever bought.

When we cruised the Equinox last January, there was a gentlemen with a honking big scooter. The Concierge onboard ship arranged for a place for him to leave the scooter at the shops at the end of the pier in order that he could take his island tours. Of course, he took the key with him. His issue was breathing and carried oxygen. He usually stayed on the bus when the others got off but he still saw the island. The scooter was always there waiting for him. He and his wife got off at every port. It is amazing how much help the ship's crew will do if you just ask. Also, the vendors and Visitor's Information Office at each port wants to assist the cruise passengers in order that their experience is good and they will tell their friends all about it.

Being realistice and pro-active is the key and of course, remembering that you are there to have a good time.

We travel with both a scooter and a manual wheelchair and always HAVE to book an accessible cabin.

As to your original suggestion of having postings of distances from the ship to buses, tour guides,etc - that is so subject to change depending on where the ship docks (some ports have multiple piers and you might be docked near the entrance/exit gate; conversely, your ship might be the last one docked and therefore 4 or 5 ship lengths away) Therefore, if you have not already done so, I suggest limiting your question(s) to the ports of call on your upcoming cruise. And to complicate matters further, as someone has already mentioned, the gangway from the ship to the pier may be a series of steps instead of a ramp, making either a scooter or wheelchair difficult. At least with a wheelchair, there are normally crew members who will carry the wheelchair down to the pier while your husband walks down.

Several ports such as St Maarten are building longer piers to accomodate the much larger cruise ships, so the distances that need to be walked tend to get longer:)

• 2 weeks later...

Why don't you post on the various port forums to ask about the walking distance?

St. Martin can be quite a hike, but they do have golf carts that you pay $1 or $2 for them to take you to the taxi stand area. However, I believe the meeting place for tours is right off the ship, so you might have a problem coordinating tour group walking off the pier with the availability of a golf cart.

My recollection of St. Lucia is that everything is very close to where you disembark. I don't remember St. Kitts very well, but it seemed like a medium walk to the pickup point, but I don't remember if that was also the meeting point.

You might do better to arrange private excursions in some ports so that your husband will have time to get to the meeting point. Another thing you can do is speak to guest services to see if there is someone available to take him off the ship in a wheelchair. I've done that with my mom and just tipped the person who assisted us.

Archived