Vancouver hotel here are my choice

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:55 PM.
YVR & PDX
3,832 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by Orch at Sea
Sorry.,my error.....I didn't think about service dogs, I completely understand why they must be allowed into hotels.
No worries - just wish I could have given some concrete suggestions to minimize animal presence for you. But now we both know the YWCA rocks even more than before!

Originally posted by travelingpink
We are arriving September 5 to the 8th. On the 8th, we go to the fairmont Hotel Vancouver.p for one night. We are looking at the Holiday Inn Vancouver (Broadway) for the first 3 nights (we have points). We also have 3 nights held at the hotel blu ($827). Any thoughts? We read lots of good reviews on the holiday inn, but still wondered if we would be too far for touring (hop on, hop off, etc).
That Holiday Inn is an inefficient location for touring the downtown core. It's between bridges and steeply uphill from the water so there's no really quick way to get across to downtown despite the frequent buses along Broadway and SkyTrain not too far away - at the very least when comparing value, factor in $5.60 for 2 transit tickets daily (unless you already planned to acquite transit day passes) and a half-hour of time. HOHOs don't really get near it - Granville Island is the closest stop - and a cab to the Fairmont with your stuff will likely run $15 even if you go at a quiet, non-rush-hour time of day (if you're not transit people, then budget $35 a day for a cab to and from downtown core as these could easily hit $20 on the meter depending exactly where you're going, and bridges = bottlenecks).

If you were a repeat visitor I'd have no hesitation recommending - the hotel has some superb views across to downtown, there's great dining very close, South Granville/Fairview/Mount Pleasant are nice 'hoods to explore, and if you're into touring local breweries it's pretty handy for that - but if this is your first time and you want to be riding HOHOs, walking around Gastown, Chinatown, Yaletown, West End, Stanley Park etc. then a downtown core hotel would work better for you.

There's another HI downtown - so if you want to burn your points you could stay there. This hotel was part of a really detailed review left recently by someone on NCL Sun - sounds like they really enjoyed their stay, and the location is quite good (just far enough from Granville to have some quiet, and while not right on top of any individual Big Hit item it's a short walk to anywhere around the downtown core as it's quite central).

I watched Blu getting built, but haven't stayed so can't comment re: quality of the rooms. It's very shiny and should be in great condition compared to just about any other hotel downtown (IIRC only Trump is newer). If it's this coming September I'd be inclined to check Expedia etc. to see what sort of non-refundable deals are starting to appear, since a midweek date will have somewhat fewer tourists (especially compared to the weekend immediately after as that's a holiday). Given the specific situation in Vancouver, it's also one of the safest possible blind bid cities - as long as you restrict your choices to downtown and 4* there are literally no bad hotels you could possibly get.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess: Emerald, Golden x3, Island, Star x2
NCL: Gem, Pearl
HAL: Veendam
Edumacational kiddie cruises: SS Uganda
Tucson,Arizona
4,386 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
Just returned from a stay at a new favorite hotel, the Loden, in a new favorite city, Vancouver. The Loden is not only well located (Coal Harbour area near Stanley Park) but the room are filled with light, comfortable and beautifully furnished. Best of all being a small boutique hotel the service was warm and helpful. Loved the old London cab they had that took us to dinner twice (delicious Hawksworth and L'Abbatoir). I would not even consider staying anywhere else in this lovely city. And in my new copy of Travel and Leisure Magazine it is listed as the second best hotel in Canada. A well deserved accolade IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
4,346 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
Looking at booking.com in USD for Sept 5 to 8th. I see it's $606USD.

Downtown options for the same dates...
  • $452 Empire Landmark
  • $601 Days Inn
  • $608 Holiday Inn Vancouver Downtown
  • $740 Blue Horizon
  • $1109 Fairmont Waterfront
For $1 more each day.... you can have downtown convenience. Otherwise Blue Horizon will have lots of shopping and restaurant choices for a 3 day stay.
england
59 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
We have just booked the St Regis Hotel downtown. Vancouver tourist information were very helpful, they rang the hotel on our behalf to confirm they are pet free. I then received an E-Mail from the General manager saying they haven't had a service dog in 2 years. Thanks to everybody for your suggestions.
YVR & PDX
3,832 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
^Glad you found somewhere appropriate, and that local tourist info remains friendly & helpful!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess: Emerald, Golden x3, Island, Star x2
NCL: Gem, Pearl
HAL: Veendam
Edumacational kiddie cruises: SS Uganda
Bellingham WA
598 Posts
Joined May 2013
We stay at Rosedale on Robson when overnighting in Vancouver. Easy walk to dining and shopping. If you have lots of luggage, might want to take a cab to port, otherwise, you could take skytrain. Around $150 Canadian per night for a one bedroom condo.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

5/20/17 - Star Princess - Alaska
3/12/17 - Regal Princess - Western Carib
12/1/2016 - Crown Princess - LA to Ensenada
9/18/2016 - Ruby Princess - SEA to VAN
9/14/2016 - Island Princess - Van to SF
5/20/2016 -Crown Princess - Coastal
5/7/2016 - Ruby Princess - Coastal
2/7/2016 - Regal Princess - Western Carib
12/15/2015 - Ruby Princess - Coastal
09/13/2015 - Ruby Princess - Coastal
05/13/2015 - Ruby Princess - Coastal
04/29/2015 Ruby Princess - Alaska
05/2014 - HAL - Coastal
05/15/2013 NCL Jewel - Coastal
2011 - Sapphire Princess - Coastal
2010 - Sapphire Princess - Coastal
2009 - Golden Princess - Coastal
2007 - Golden Princess(?) - Coastal
12/2002 - RCL Vision of the Seas - Mexico
1997 - Carnival Ecstacy - Mexico
2/1993 - Carnival - Mexico
4/1984 - Carnival - Mexico
6/1983 - NLC - East Carib
Victoria, Canada
698 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by travelingpink
We are arriving September 5 to the 8th. On the 8th, we go to the fairmont Hotel Vancouver.p for one night. We are looking at the Holiday Inn Vancouver (Broadway) for the first 3 nights (we have points). We also have 3 nights held at the hotel blu ($827). Any thoughts? We read lots of good reviews on the holiday inn, but still wondered if we would be too far for touring (hop on, hop off, etc).
If you can use your points for the Holiday Inn downtown (on Howe St.) that is a more central location.

The Holiday Inn on Broadway is in a nice area. Lots of restaurants and shops near by. However as others have stated it is about a block and half to the nearest skytrain (subway) station. Most of the tourist oriented destinations would involve a short skytrain ride away.

Personally I would not change hotels mid-stay for the last night.