Re-instating ff miles

EmmasNana

So if my airline(american) changes my flight time to a couple hours different than my original booking, I am able to cancel my flight and get my money back with no fee. Right? I have done this before.

So, if I booked a flight using my ff miles and the time is changed a couple hours different than my original booking...can I cancel this flight and have my miles re-instated with no fee?

Basically I have a flight booked using ff miles for January. My cruise has been cancelled and I am watching the airline schedule to see if flight times changes in hopes of getting the miles re-instated for no fee.

Is this a possible scenario?

Dancinman -unless you have a certain status level with your airline, you'll have to pay a fee to redeposit your miles.

OP - yes, this is possible. You'd have to check with your specific airline as to how long of a change would allow you to cancel and get a refund. An airline changing the routing may also work.

Edited by 6rugrats

OP - yes, this is possible. You'd have to check with your specific airline as to how long of a change would allow you to cancel and get a refund. An airline changing the routing may also work.

Thanks, I figured I had nothing to loose by watching and waiting until the last minute.

A google search found this in literally less than a minute: http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/FAQs/customerService/Refunds.jsp

One comment on miles- trip insurance will not pay for forfeited miles because they have zero cash value. Many TI policies will pay the redeposit fee if the reason for not taking the flight is covered. A change in the flight time months ahead usually won't be covered if you're able to travel. A few airlines do not allow redeposits...in that case you're out the miles. I know the question wasn't about TI, but thought the info might be useful.

Edited by kenish