Suggest researching ins company AND who processes claims

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:44 PM.
#21
931 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by GeezerCouple
Which insurance company was it?
And which processor?

We've used Travel Insured, and it has seemed (??) that their claims people are also "there".
Perhaps not?

Thanks!

GC

If you are asking me, my earlier post states it was TravelSafe through Insure my Trip and Global Alert through Trip Insurance Store.
#22
USA
2,966 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Originally posted by westcoastcruiser
If you are asking me, my earlier post states it was TravelSafe through Insure my Trip and Global Alert through Trip Insurance Store.
Thanks.

Who does the claims processing for each or the insurers (or do they share the same outside company)?

How did you find out it was a different company processing the claims?

We have no complaint with Travel Insured (purchased through Trip Insurance Store), but I'm realizing that perhaps we *assumed* it was "in house" claims.
So now I'm curious, in case there were to be a problem...

GC
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
GeezerCouple

contact us at:

GeezerCouple [at] yahoo [dot] com
#23
931 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by GeezerCouple
Thanks.

Who does the claims processing for each or the insurers (or do they share the same outside company)?

How did you find out it was a different company processing the claims?

We have no complaint with Travel Insured (purchased through Trip Insurance Store), but I'm realizing that perhaps we *assumed* it was "in house" claims.
So now I'm curious, in case there were to be a problem...

GC

TripMate processed the claims from both insurance companies as noted early on in this thread...and, as reported then, therein was the problem.
#24
Long Island,NY
4,100 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by djett
I agree. I had submitted a medical claim for $110 upon returning from a cruise in January. All the proper documentation was submitted and it still took the claim processing company (Tripmate) three months to issue a check. What was really frustrating was the only way to check on the status was online. Phone calls and emails were not returned. You need to look at the actual policy to determine whether a claim is processed by an outside company.
I filed a claim with Tripmate . It took 6 months to get paid ,6 letters ,the last one sent certified ,12 phone calls ,15 e-mails.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lenny
#25
931 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by lenquixote66
I filed a claim with Tripmate . It took 6 months to get paid ,6 letters ,the last one sent certified ,12 phone calls ,15 e-mails.

Wow! And I thought 3 months was crazy long! I double and triple check whenever I buy insurance to confirm TripMate is not the claims processor. They are impossible to work with and the delays are inexcusable.
#26
Long Island,NY
4,100 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by westcoastcruiser
Wow! And I thought 3 months was crazy long! I double and triple check whenever I buy insurance to confirm TripMate is not the claims processor. They are impossible to work with and the delays are inexcusable.

Every e-mail has a different name of a claims processor.No first names just first initials.
I was recommended to TM by my travel agent .I called her to complain . I think that if she contacted them on my behalf that is the only reason why I got paid.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lenny
#27
USA
2,966 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Originally posted by lenquixote66
Every e-mail has a different name of a claims processor.No first names just first initials.
I was recommended to TM by my travel agent .I called her to complain . I think that if she contacted them on my behalf that is the only reason why I got paid.
That's all totally crazy!

Our only experience is with Travel Insured (purchased through, and with suggestion from Trip Insurance Store), and we've had several claims, including 2 large ones.

In each case, IF we asked (we did have to ask; it wasn't automatic), we had a single contact person who could and would reply by email or phone. We prefer email, due to the record of all questions/answers/etc.

Also, once we had contact name(s), we occasionally called that person specifically if we had any questions before purchasing, or if the policy terms had changed, etc.

They were always very polite and professional.
And the claims were paid within about 2 weeks of the docs being received. We never felt there were any unusual demands about that, either. (This may have been in part because with our waiver of the exclusion of pre-existing conditions, there was no need for them to request or read through previous medical records.)

We'd hope it stays that way, but we hope even more that we don't need to process more claims!

GC
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
GeezerCouple

contact us at:

GeezerCouple [at] yahoo [dot] com
#28
931 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by GeezerCouple
That's all totally crazy!

Our only experience is with Travel Insured (purchased through, and with suggestion from Trip Insurance Store), and we've had several claims, including 2 large ones.

In each case, IF we asked (we did have to ask; it wasn't automatic), we had a single contact person who could and would reply by email or phone. We prefer email, due to the record of all questions/answers/etc.

Also, once we had contact name(s), we occasionally called that person specifically if we had any questions before purchasing, or if the policy terms had changed, etc.

They were always very polite and professional.
And the claims were paid within about 2 weeks of the docs being received. We never felt there were any unusual demands about that, either. (This may have been in part because with our waiver of the exclusion of pre-existing conditions, there was no need for them to request or read through previous medical records.)

We'd hope it stays that way, but we hope even more that we don't need to process more claims!

GC

Travel Insured, in my opinion, must not used Trip Mate as their claims processing. And I am sure there are other trip insurance companies that use other claims processing intermediaries. I purchased my Global Alert trip insurance from The Trip Insurance Store as I heard great things about TIS. However, I was disappointed they sold insurance that uses Trip Mate for claims processing. The person I mentioned this to (not Steve) admitted they receive many complaints about Trip Mate. And my contact person at The Trip Insurance Store was marginally helpful in being my advocate as evidenced by the 3 month claims processing time.

I am glad to hear you had a good experience with Travel Insured. I will explore other options for future insurance needs.