Best Time on Sat. to cross GW Bridge?

cynbar

We'll be driving to Newark/Bayonne on Saturday, July 24th from New England to catch the Summit from Cape Liberty the next day. Our schedule is very flexible. Do any of you native New Yorkers have any advice on the bext time (if there is one!) to go over the George Washington Bridge on that day? Would we do better going north over the Tappan Zee, which I know is a longer route but may have less traffic? Any suggestions will be appreciated, we want to start our cruise off on the best foot possible.

We'll be driving to Newark/Bayonne on Saturday, July 24th from New England to catch the Summit from Cape Liberty the next day. Our schedule is very flexible. Do any of you native New Yorkers have any advice on the bext time (if there is one!) to go over the George Washington Bridge on that day? Would we do better going north over the Tappan Zee, which I know is a longer route but may have less traffic? Any suggestions will be appreciated, we want to start our cruise off on the best foot possible.

Where are you spending the night???

If you want my opinion to get to the cruise port the EASIEST way direct from New England: down 95 to 678 to the Southern Parkway W which turns into the Belt Parkway. Get on 278, across the Veranzano Bridge and take Rt 440 North over the Bayonne Bridge. You will make a RIGHT into the port. This saves a lot of aggravation getting into the port particularly in the summer.

One of my drivers called less than an hour ago-has to get into the port to make a pickup. There must be a ship leaving today. The traffic is backed up on 440 well over a mile. He had to go South about 2 miles to turn around to make the RIGHT into the port (making the RIGHT,there is NO traffic).

To answer your original question, between 7-9 on a weekend morning or after lunch before 3PM.

I'd get on the road early and plan to be in Bayonne between 11 & 12 pm. Come down I95 to either Milford CT and cut over to the Merritt Parkway (exit 38?) or cut over to I287 at the NY/CT line and cut over to the Hutchinson River Parkway south (Merritt Pkwy in NY). YOU DO NOT WANT TO TAKE I95 THROUGH NYC. Take the Hutch to the Cross County Parkway (exit 15) and get in the middle left lane. This will become the left lane on a "scrunch". Go to the end of this road and take the Saw Mill River Pkwy South (the left lane feeds into this). The Saw Mill becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line - there is a $4 toll that is worth every penny. Take the George Washington Bridge (left exit - get in right lane of the two lane exit). On the bridge get over to the middle left lane and follow the signs to I80 West and the NJ Turnpike. Take the NJ Turnpike South (only way) and take the first Lincoln Tunnel exit - this is not really the Lincoln Tunnel - just access to the eastern spur of the turnpike. Stay on the turnpike (don't get off at the 2nd Lincoln Tunnel exit), get off at exit 14, 14A, 14B, 14C and follow the signs to exit 14A. When you come through the toll booth, go straight ahead across the plaza and up a ramp that curves left. Go right at every chance until you hit the light at route 440. Make a left, stay left, and make another left at the first light - this is Port Terminal Blvd.

If you take this route the GW Bridge should not be a problem. The big problem in NYC on a Saturday can be the I95 route through the city. You want to avoid being on I95 at all costs.

Where are you spending the night???

If you want my opinion to get to the cruise port the EASIEST way direct from New England: down 95 to 678 to the Southern Parkway W which turns into the Belt Parkway. Get on 278, across the Veranzano Bridge and take Rt 440 North over the Bayonne Bridge. You will make a RIGHT into the port. This saves a lot of aggravation getting into the port particularly in the summer.

One of my drivers called less than an hour ago-has to get into the port to make a pickup. There must be a ship leaving today. The traffic is backed up on 440 well over a mile. He had to go South about 2 miles to turn around to make the RIGHT into the port (making the RIGHT,there is NO traffic).

To answer your original question, between 7-9 on a weekend morning or after lunch before 3PM.

Greatam - please read the directions I provided for a car trip. The advice you gave is probably excellent for your trucks, but your trucks cannot take advantage of all the cars only parkways through Westchester County and NYC. I've driven this route for 30+ years on a regular basis from NE to NJ (frequently on a Saturday morning) - I would never suggest that someone in a car cut across Queens, Brooklyn, and Staten Island to go to Bayonne.

Cross at the Tapan Zee bridge. The G.W. can backup at any time of the day. The G.W. is the east west route for truckers, and if a vehicle breaks down or has an accident you will have major delays.

I disagree. The Tappen Zee takes you miles out of the way and it has been known to have traffic problems. The cars only route on the Henry Hudson brings you directly on to the bridge (no merging lanes) well beyond the I95 truck congestion through the South Bronx. You have a choice of the upper or lower level. If you listen to 1010 or 880 radio, you will have an idea if there is an issue. From the Henry Hudson you have the option of skipping the bridge and continuing downtown on 12th Ave/West St to either the Lincoln or Holland Tunnel. The Holland Tunnel takes you directly onto the NJ Turnpike to exit 14A.

Once you get on the Merritt Parkway, you will not see a single truck until you get on the bridge itself.

Greatam - please read the directions I provided for a car trip. The advice you gave is probably excellent for your trucks, but your trucks cannot take advantage of all the cars only parkways through Westchester County and NYC. I've driven this route for 30+ years on a regular basis from NE to NJ (frequently on a Saturday morning) - I would never suggest that someone in a car cut across Queens, Brooklyn, and Staten Island to go to Bayonne.

Can't use the route I posted with any of my trucks other than on the Van Wyck. It is STRICTLY a car route on the Parkways.

Why not cut across? Particularly on a Saturday morning. Not much traffic. I just flew into JFK this morning. By the time I got off the plane (which was almost 45 minutes late), got my luggage, got my rental, it was about 8:00-8:15 EDT. Less than an 45 minutes to my office in Hunts Point via the Van Wyck and Bruckner. I drive this frequently on Saturdays between LGA/JFK and my office in the Bronx. RARELY is there a big traffic tie up unless there is construction (which they have been doing right by JFK on the WEEKDAYS).

Plus you AVOID making that left into the Port. I stand by my route.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. According to Mapquest your route is 22 miles longer and 25 minutes longer - of course it's NY so anything can happen. Your route also has a $6.50 toll on the Whitestone Bridge and a $13 toll on the Verrazano Bridge - a bit more than the $4 toll on the Henry Hudson.

YOU DO NOT WANT TO TAKE I95 THROUGH NYC.

138east is absolutely correct; it can be a backed-up nightmare at any hour on any day. Whatever route you take, avoid this (AKA The Cross-Bronx Expressway) at all costs.

I'd get on the road early and plan to be in Bayonne between 11 & 12 pm. Come down I95 to either Milford CT and cut over to the Merritt Parkway (exit 38?) or cut over to I287 at the NY/CT line and cut over to the Hutchinson River Parkway south (Merritt Pkwy in NY). YOU DO NOT WANT TO TAKE I95 THROUGH NYC. Take the Hutch to the Cross County Parkway (exit 15) and get in the middle left lane. This will become the left lane on a "scrunch". Go to the end of this road and take the Saw Mill River Pkwy South (the left lane feeds into this). The Saw Mill becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line - there is a $4 toll that is worth every penny. Take the George Washington Bridge (left exit - get in right lane of the two lane exit). On the bridge get over to the middle left lane and follow the signs to I80 West and the NJ Turnpike. Take the NJ Turnpike South (only way) and take the first Lincoln Tunnel exit - this is not really the Lincoln Tunnel - just access to the eastern spur of the turnpike. Stay on the turnpike (don't get off at the 2nd Lincoln Tunnel exit), get off at exit 14, 14A, 14B, 14C and follow the signs to exit 14A. When you come through the toll booth, go straight ahead across the plaza and up a ramp that curves left. Go right at every chance until you hit the light at route 440. Make a left, stay left, and make another left at the first light - this is Port Terminal Blvd.

If you take this route the GW Bridge should not be a problem. The big problem in NYC on a Saturday can be the I95 route through the city. You want to avoid being on I95 at all costs.

I have to agree 100% with these directions..I am looking at the GWB as I type (I live in Fort Lee the foot of the bridge) you will hit no traffic on the Hutch, the Saw Mill or the Henry Hudson and the Westbound side of the bridge does not back up it is the East side does.

138east is absolutely correct; it can be a backed-up nightmare at any hour on any day. Whatever route you take, avoid this (AKA The Cross-Bronx Expressway) at all costs.

Who said anything about taking the Cross Bronx? The Hutch ends basically at the Van Wyck. I-95 from the North gets onto the Van Wyck just before joining the Cross Bronx.

When I went BACK from my office in the Bronx Saturday to JFK at about 5:30PM (heaviest traffic generally on a Saturday), it took just slightly over an hour from Hunts Point to Avis rental car at JFK.

I am only suggesting this route because IN THE SUMMER (which is what the OP asked), 440 even on the weekends can be a real nightmare trying to get into the port. We pick up and deliver at Bayonne almost every day of the week. My drivers almost REFUSE to go from the North into the Port any time there may be a cruise ship in port. That left turn is a killer. When my driver was there last Saturday, he could see the traffic backed up for well over a mile trying to make that left turn into the port. The line probably only got longer after he went south, turned around and headed back north. NO BACKUP making that right turn-just the left from the North.

No one is advising taking the Cross Bronx. The problem is that folks follow their GPS or pull up Mapquest and it sends them directly down I95. We have to be perfectly clear that this is not the way to go. Folks who have never made this trip or do it infrequently may not appreciate how important it is to take the cars only parkways in Westchester County.

Folks have reported circumventing the left turn issue by getting into the right lane and turning into a strip mall that is on the right side of 440 across from Port Terminal Blvd. You can exit the mall onto the side street Prospect St. and wait for the light to cross Route 440 onto Port Terminal Blvd. This is apparently a favorite shortcut used by the limo drivers who go to the port a lot. It's probably not an option for your trucks.

No one is advising taking the Cross Bronx. The problem is that folks follow their GPS or pull up Mapquest and it sends them directly down I95. We have to be perfectly clear that this is not the way to go. Folks who have never made this trip or do it infrequently may not appreciate how important it is to take the cars only parkways in Westchester County.

Folks have reported circumventing the left turn issue by getting into the right lane and turning into a strip mall that is on the right side of 440 across from Port Terminal Blvd. You can exit the mall onto the side street Prospect St. and wait for the light to cross Route 440 onto Port Terminal Blvd. This is apparently a favorite shortcut used by the limo drivers who go to the port a lot. It's probably not an option for your trucks.

agreed with 138 east. i will add i would strongly advise avoiding the van wyck expwy at all costs. there is frequently traffic. the only way i would suggest taking the verrazano would be to take the merritt pkwy into the hutchinson river pkwy to the whitestone bridge to the cross island pkwy south into the belt pkwy to the verrazano. another alternate way to go to avoid making the left turn into the port, although a little longer, would be to take the nj turnpike further south to exit 13 and cross the goethals bridge and then take 440 north and make right into the port.

you could also go one block past the port and make a right onto E. 32nd street and then a right onto prospect St. and take that right into the port.

• 2 weeks later...

138, thanks for taking the time to do this! I do have a question though. If we exit I-95 at the Merritt Parkway in Milford CT, will it be clearly marked to the Henry Hudson? Are we better off staying on 95 until we cross into NY and see the I287 exit, which will then clearly take us to the Hutchinson River parkway? Which way is the most clearly marked?

The Merritt Parkway is renamed the Hutchinson River Parkway when you cross the CT/NY line - it's the same road. I think the crossover to the Merritt is easier in Milford CT plus you get off I95 with the trucks and traffic onto a cars only road. You have to follow the directions I gave. There will not be signs to the Henry Hudson. The Saw Mill River Parkway is renamed the Henry Hudson at the NYC line - it's the same road.

Pull up a map and take a look and come back with any questions.

The Merritt Parkway is renamed the Hutchinson River Parkway when you cross the CT/NY line - it's the same road. I think the crossover to the Merritt is easier in Milford CT plus you get off I95 with the trucks and traffic onto a cars only road. You have to follow the directions I gave. There will not be signs to the Henry Hudson. The Saw Mill River Parkway is renamed the Henry Hudson at the NYC line - it's the same road.

Pull up a map and take a look and come back with any questions.

Thanks 138, that makes it a lot clearer. I knew we could count on you -- and I must say, quite promptly. We will exit I95 in Milford for the Merritt Parkway and then follow your directions after it turns into the Hutchinson. Thanks again -- we are off Saturday AM!!

that's funny because I would go differently... I would take the Merritt to the Hutch to the Sam Mill River as 138 suggests BUT I would stay on the west side highway-9a- and go straight down to the Holland Tunnel(turning left on Canal Street) to the Holland Tunnel(ps I would also fill up before the Turnpike in NJ) across to NJ to the NJ Turnpike extension to Bayonne exit to 440...to the cruise terminal. On a Saturday morning this will be pretty empty. Its actually the shortest most direct way. I had a house in CT and drove most of this every Sunday weekend...

Greatam and I have had this discussion before about the Staten Island why to go and just leave it as its not my way...

Thanks all, I think I'm clear now on our route! One more question ---- do we just retrace our route the following Sunday when we are returning??? Is it pretty clearly marked???

Thanks all, I think I'm clear now on our route! One more question ---- do we just retrace our route the following Sunday when we are returning??? Is it pretty clearly marked???

yes and yes. the only dicey part is coming off the gw bridge. if you take the upper level stay right and follow the signs for hh pkwy- rte 9a north. if you take the lower level, stay left and follow the signs for hh pkwy - rte 9a. (exit 1)

On the Henry Hudson/Saw Mill watch carefully for the signs for the Cross County Parkway. Once on the Cross County stay left so you merge onto the Hutch NORTH.

Sid - I agree with you about driving down the west side of Manhattan before noon on a weekend, but unfortunately many of the folks asking directions are very leery of driving in the city. They are just more comfortable on the NJ Turnpike.

On the Henry Hudson/Saw Mill watch carefully for the signs for the Cross County Parkway. Once on the Cross County stay left so you merge onto the Hutch NORTH.

Sid - I agree with you about driving down the west side of Manhattan before noon on a weekend, but unfortunately many of the folks asking directions are very leery of driving in the city. They are just more comfortable on the NJ Turnpike.

coming north on the saw mill, the cross county parkway is the exit after the mosholu parkway. just to give you a landmark.

I am getting ready to head to NYC from Boston in 2 weeks to get on the NCL Gem. This is my 6th trip driving to the NYC pier. It seems like I have gone a different way every time. However, the last time I thought I got lost and next thing you know I was looking at the GW Bridge above me and after that the pier was up ahead.

I just did the mapquest request and sure enough the CT/NY part has me stay on 95 until the GW bridge. The directions provided on this thread sound like the way I went before. Are they? You may not be able to tell me given what I wrote.

We are staying at the DoubleTree in Times Square on Sat, the day before the cruise. Would I go the same way and get to the pier and take a left to get up to the DoubleTree area. I can map this from the port if this is the best way to go.

Any help is appreciated.

I got timed out and could not edit previous post.

I think Google Maps is taking me the correct way. It says:

95 S from Boston to I-90 W

Take exit 9 onto I-84 W

Take exit 20 for I-684 S

Keep left and merge onto I-684S

Merge onto Hutchinson River Parkway S

Continue onto Cross County Parkway

Take exit onto Saw Mill Parkway S

continue on to Henry Hudson Parkway

Continue on to 9A S to Manhattan Cruise Terminal

Is this what you all were talking about? Is this the way to go?

There is another route that involves more of 95/15/5/91 and 287. It is 8 miles shorter but takes longer.

95 to I-90W

84 towards Hartford/NYC

continue onto CT-15-s 1.1 miles

Continue on US-5 S .7 miles

Take Exit 86 and merge onto I-91 S

Take exit 17 for CT-15 S/W Cross PKWY

Merge onto CT 15-S

Take exit 52 State Route 108 S/State Soute 8S toward Bridgeport

Follow signs for CT-8 S

Keep Right at fork merge onto 95-S

Take 21 for White Plains/Tappan Zee Bridge

Merge onto I-287 W

Take exit 9N toward Merritt PKWY

Merge onto Westchester Ave W

Take Hutchinson PKWY S to Whitestone Bridge

Merge onto HutchRiver PKWY S

Cross County PKWY

Take exit to Saw Mill PKWY

Henry Hudson PKWY

to 9A S

This second one seems more confusing to me. Any advice appreciated.

I prefer a combination of these directions.

My directions would read:

I90 west (Mass Pike) to Sturbridge (probably exit 9) to pick up I84

Take I84 to Hartford and follow the signs to Charter Oak Bridge/New York.

When you cross the bridge get in the far right lane for the NY exit.

Take exit 17 for CT-15 S/W Cross PKWY

The Wilbur Cross Parkway becomes the Merritt Parkway and then the Hutchinson River Parkway.

Take the Hutch to the Cross County Parkway (exit 15) and get in the middle left lane. This will become the left lane on a "scrunch".

Go to the end of this road and take the Saw Mill River Pkwy South (the left lane feeds into this). The Saw Mill becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line - there is a $4 toll that is worth every penny.

The Merritt is a very pretty ride. I don't like I95 at all - every time I drive it (and I did a short stretch of bumper to bumper in May), I swear I won't do it again.

Seriously, print out a map. The only problem with the Merritt is that occasionally you can hit a traffic jam. It runs parallel to I95 and if necessary you can cut over. Over the 30 years I've been driving this route, I've hit backups on both roads, but definitely more congestion on I95.

Archived