Bay of Biscay....how bad

loobylouuk

The Bay of Biscay does have a reputation for being rough.

The Tasman Straits down New Zealand/Australia way also has a reputation for being rough - but it has been smooth the three times we have crossed it.

You never really know on the water.

My one trip on the Irish Sea was very rough, but the roughest trip I've had was on the China Sea, between Hong Kong and Manila, on the little Golden Odyssey, a 10,000 tonner, 11-86, while trying to outrun the back end of a typhoon. We had green water over the bridge, screws out of the water, and the inclinometer was reportedly pegged several times. Very rough indeed.

Hi Lou

We have crossed the bay in June, nice and smooth, October, slightly choppy, and towards the end of November, once again a little choppy about force 6. We have been lucky I suppose, but on the October cruise we had a force 10 in the Med and could'nt get into Palma.

They do say the bay is not seasonal and could be rough or calm at any time of the year.

Don't let it worry you, just have a wonderful cruise

Kind regards

Cabinboy

They do say the bay is not seasonal and could be rough or calm at any time of the year.
I agree: I've had cruises across the Bay of Biscay in the autumn when it's been like a millpond, and in the middle of summer when it's been blowing a severe gale. You can never tell in advance.

I've crossed the Bay of Biscay three times; once in October, once in November and once in January.

Each time it has been rough, but more so in the November on a little 10,000-tonner. It's notorious for being rough, as is the Drake Passage between South America and Antarctica (which lives up to its reputation).

Generally speaking, the larger the vessel the less you tend to feel any motion.

I've also been out on the North Sea in a Force 12 - it was quite an experience! :)

I have crossed the B of B in the second half of September, the first one was a force 8, the others were fine on both outgoing and returning crossings. Going again on 15 September on Oceana, fingers crossed!

• 1 month later...

Hi

We just returned from a Med Cruise and hit a force 7 in the Bay of Biscay. We did not feel much movement to the ship (QE2) and we felt rather disappointed. Hope you have an enjoyable cruise.

Al

:cool:

Hi LoobyLou

I don't know if you have ever tried them but my good lady swears by those wrist bands. They even sell them on board. She finds them most effective. But,hey, your not going to need them as the bay will be like a millpond, you see!!!

cabinboy

Hi LoobyLou

I don't know if you have ever tried them but my good lady swears by those wrist bands. They even sell them on board. She finds them most effective. But,hey, your not going to need them as the bay will be like a millpond, you see!!!

cabinboy

Thanks Cabinboy for your reassuring words.........hope you're right.

I personally dont get sick, its my poor husband!

I have heard that the wrist bands are good so will mention them to him....mind you he'll probably opt for the macho sick tabs!!!!!!

Hi

We just returned from a Med Cruise and hit a force 7 in the Bay of Biscay. We did not feel much movement to the ship (QE2) and we felt rather disappointed. Hope you have an enjoyable cruise.

Al

:cool:

Can't remember the sea state we had on the QE2 but, as you said, she runs on rails.

One year, in June, on P&O Ferries, 25000t, we were 15 hours late pushing into a force 8 with waves breaking over the bridge.

No worries as long as it is only pitching. The rolls or bearing off worse.

Archived