Da Bears......

Was fortunate enough to go to Anna Creek a few weeks ago while on our Alaskan cruise. Got up close with the bears. One of the best photo opportunities I have ever had. Originally had on a 70-200 with a 2X extension, but realized I did not need it as they were that close. Started the day at 400 hundred pictures for the trip and finished with about 1300. Got some really great shots. Couple below. Park rangers generally discouraged you from using the outhouse and you can see why....

Tim

9295698800_ef0b938154_c.jpg

9296225450_410c0bfeb0_z.jpg

Great shots! Where were you? Were you in a vehicle? They look awful close!

I was on an outdoor platform (surrounded by a fence) next to the creek. We were very close and at times the ranges pushed us back from the fence cause the bears were that close.

Are you close enough that a 100-400 would be too much? I have a 200 zoom also and hate to carry the big one if I wouldn't be using it.

I am not Tim but I loved having the length of my 400mm. Last summer there were lots of shots of cubs in trees where my 400mm worked wonderfully. I was shooting with a cast on my hand (broke two bones out in the bush) and it was still worth hauling it out there. You can get some great shots down the creek where the 400mm would be useful too.

7740036702_5e4fa4c340.jpg

"Treed" by RMSteck Photography, on Flickr

Tim, these are great shots! I am going next week. Are you close enough that a 100-400 would be too much? I have a 200 zoom also and hate to carry the big one if I wouldn't be using it.

I looked through the bear pictures I took and almost all are taken at 100mm or more. More on the lower end of the 100-400. Of course it depends on how cooperative the bears are.:D

Tim

Great shots! Where is Anna Creek?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It is a 45 minute flight North of Ketchikan, or a boat ride from Wrangle. Bears are there from early June to mid August. There are limited slots since you or the tour operator has to have permits to bring people there.

It is a 45 minute flight North of Ketchikan, or a boat ride from Wrangle. Bears are there from early June to mid August. There are limited slots since you or the tour operator has to have permits to bring people there.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds very cool, but way too adventurous for me. Hopefully we'll see some bears on our tour with Ketchikan Taxi.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Archived