Booking cruises while onboard

Uri1961

Hello everyone!!!

If I am cruising in Dec 2011, while I am onboard can I book a european cruise for June 2013?

If the cruiseline is selling them ---then you can buy them. Sometimes they offer great deals.

Hello everyone!!!

If I am cruising in Dec 2011, while I am onboard can I book a european cruise for June 2013?

Hello back atcha! It would be helpful to know which cruise line you are considering.

For NCL, the answer is that you can't book a future cruise while you are on board but you can purchase a cruise reward certificate that counts as your entire deposit on a future cruise. It's really quite a great deal. The deposit costs $250 which is charged to your onboard account, but you get $100 in onboard credit added to your account. So your out-of-pocket cost is $150. You have 4 years to use the certificate and it counts as the full deposit for all cabins except for some of the higher-end suites.

Real world example: Last November I purchased a cruise rewards certificate for $250 aboard the Norwegian Pearl. My onboard account showed a charge of $250. Right below that was a credit for $100. (So my net out-of-pocket was $150.) In December I used that cruise reward to book a 2-week European cruise aboard the Norwegian Sun in September 2012. On the invoice under "Payments Applied" it says $250. (If I hadn't used the cruise reward, the deposit to hold the cabin would have been $800.) My final payment date for that cruise is July 3, 2012, so essentially it has cost me $150 to hold an aft balcony cabin for 18 months.

Generally speaking, you'll receive onboard credit as an incentive. Each cruise line has a different policy. Royal Caribbean's is a bit convoluted, while Princess' is pretty straightforward. The fact that you'd be booking a cruise that far out would indicate that there are no deals right now. You've got to be vigilent about checking prices, especially if you're using a travel agent (the cruise line can transfer the booking to the TA of your choice). Some are on top of it, others are not ... it does affect their commission. Should you change your mind, most deposits are fully refundable up to final payment date, although Royal Caribbean does have one plan where such is not the case. Another advantage is the reduced deposit on many cruise lines (NCL has a different policy) ... the cruise lines usually accept the $100/pp (a transatlantic might ordinarily require $350 or so). Of course, you've got to pay it eventually, but keeping your money a bit longer is always in your favor. As far as I know, on all lines but NCL, you've got to put it on a credit card, not your shipboard account. I like that arrangement better. You do have to dig a bit to get all the information you need, but it's worth the effort. For example, NCL requires a $250 deposit with $100 OBC returned on the cruise. Royal Caribbean only requires $100, with the same OBC ... may not make a difference to some, but it's important to others. Overall, future cruise bookings onbard are advantageous. Enjoy your trip ... and have fun looking for the next one!

Al

For the european cruise it would be RCCL. Thanks!!

You'd have two options ... book a specific cruise ($100/pp deposit, $100 OBC ... charged to your credit card; fully refundable up to final payment date) or just reserve a "spot" on a non-specific cruise (same deal, but non-refundable). Even if you go with an actual cruise, you can transfer the booking to any other one you wish ... just keep moving it around until you find one you can use. Unlike several other cruise lines' programs, the offer does not expire. You might also wish to consider a Bank of America Royal Caribbean VISA ... you can apply onboard, and charge both your future cruise and onboard account to it. The bonus is 10,000 points ... enough to redeem for $100 OBC on your nex cruise (or any one, for that matter ... but not the one you'd be on). We did exactly that on our last cruise, and have already sent the redemption certificate to BOA.

Hope this helps ...

Al

• 7 months later...
Can anyone tell me about Princess when you book on board?

Princess has the simplest program. You don't even need to see the Future Cruise Consultant, although it's a good idea to sit and talk with someone who knows how it works. The necessary paperwork is usually right outside the FCC's office. You can fill it out prior to seeing him/her ... saves time. We simply drop it in the box so marked, and receive written confirmation within a day. Essentially, you pay $100/pp (not charged to your onboard account, but directly to your credit card). You have four years to use it, and it's fully refundable within that time. You need not book a specific cruise. The amount you've paid serves as the entire deposit for your next trip ... no need to pay the balance until it's due. The amount of onboard credit depends upon length of the cruise and type of accommodation ... it's clearly enumerated on the form. You may transfer the booking to your travel agent when you reserve your next cruise ... just mention that you have a Future Cruise Credit with Princess, and they'll know what to do. In all our time cruising with Princess, we've never had an issue with the program. Hope this helps ... happy hunting!

Al

Anyone have experience doing this with Carnival? I see two cruises I possibly want to take in May and June 2012. Thinking of booking while on the Miracle (12/20-12/28).

December will be my first cruise on Carnival. I've heard great things.

Thanks for your seasoned replies! :)

Countdown: 78 days until I board the Miracle!

Archived