Flight from Cairns to Sydney

galelynn

Anyone know what time the flights from Cairns to Sydney are? We are on a Princess tour before we will be boarding the ship in Sydney and my husband wants to do some diving in the Great Barrier Reef, and there are restrictions on flying within 24 hrs of diving. Thanks :p

There are a number of flights a day from Cairns to Sydney. It also depends on which airline you are flying with. Do you know if it is Qantas

www.qantas.com.au or Virgin Blue www.virginblue.com.au or Jetstar www.jetstar.com.au

Cairns to Sydney is at least 3 and a bit hours and that is a direct flight. If you have to go via Brisbane it can take four or more hours.

I would certainly make sure that you arrive by lunchtime on the day of your cruise. I would hate to miss the "boat".

Jennie

There are a number of flights a day from Cairns to Sydney.
Yes, there are about 4 a day on Qantas, 3 a day on Virgin Blue, 1 a day on Jetstar, and about 4 a week on Australian Airlines. These are just the non-stops. As you'd expect, the times are spread throughout the day as there is little time difference between Cairns and Sydney.

Would any diving definitely be the day before you fly? And are you flying to Sydney the same day as the cruise departs? If so, then that would seem to rule out any diving the day before you fly as the flight could be early. Otherwise there might be some scope for negotiation about flight time, although that's always difficult with tours.

• 2 weeks later...

Does Virgin Blue have any restrictions on the number of bags to be checked free of charge?? We are traveling to Auckland on Air New Zealand from Los Angeles, then Sapphire to Sydney, then Quantas two days later to Cairns & Virgin Blue 3 days later back to Sydney for our United flight back to LA. The website says only one bag free per person. Quantas says the same thing, but when I called them they said since we are on international flights too, they would go by those carriers rules, which are two bags each. Anyone know Virgin Blue's rules??

As far as I know on Virgin Blue it is only one bag. You could call them and ask the same question you asked Qantas. We all have to abide with the rule of one bag weighing no more than 20kgs. Virgin Blue only has one class and that is economy and is really a no frills airline.

You may have to pay for excess baggage. The best way to find out is to contact Virgin Blue themselves.

Jennie

Anyone know Virgin Blue's rules??
The Virgin Blue website is very specific about this:-
Check-in Baggage – Are there any restrictions on what I can check in?

Restrictions and limitations apply to baggage that you wish to check in

Each guest occupying a seat (Adult or Child), is permitted to check-in baggage weighing a total of 20 kg, free of charge. Infants do not receive a free baggage allowance.

Check-in baggage that exceeds this allowance will attract excess baggage charges. Each piece of baggage must not weigh more than 32 kg or exceed total linear dimensions of 140 cm (Add together the depth, width and length). Any baggage that exceeds the 20kg allowance will only be accepted at the carrier’s discretion.

ROSEBERRY--

Do you know if they have lockers at the airport in Sydney where we could store our extra bags?? It would be best if the lockers were near the Quantas Domestic terminal (we are traveling to Cairns on Quantas & returning on Virgin Blue-we don't have much time on the day we are leaving for Cairns; more on the return trip). The hotel would be a good option, but we won't be coming back to the hotel-we are leaving for US from the airport the day we arrive back from Cairns. Thanks for your help!!

Tom

I'm confused, I thought you were taking the cruise from Sydney after you arrive back from Cairns.:confused:

We are on a Princess tour before we will be boarding the ship in Sydney and my husband wants to do some diving in the Great Barrier Reef, and there are restrictions on flying within 24 hrs of diving. Thanks :p

Do you know if they have lockers at the airport in Sydney where we could store our extra bags?? It would be best if the lockers were near the Quantas Domestic terminal (we are traveling to Cairns on Quantas & returning on Virgin Blue-we don't have much time on the day we are leaving for Cairns; more on the return trip).
The Sydney Airport website gives details of baggage storage at Terminal 1 (International Terminal) and Terminal 2 (some domestic flights). Terminal 3 is used exclusively by Qantas (including Cairns flights on Qantas mainline) and so the airport website doesn't give details of services there - but irritatingly, nor does the Qantas website. However, you can at least be guaranteed that there is baggage storage at T2, which is only a couple of minutes' walk from T3 - and you will arrive at T2 if you're flying back on Virgin Blue.

Quick aside: Qantas has no "u" in its name.

I really have trouble with the word Qantas-I either want to put the 'u' before the first 'a' or instead of the second 'a'!!!!
Yes - you have to remember the origin of the name, which was an acronym until it was formally adopted as the actual name of the airline.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived