Pros and cons - Oosterdam v Konigsdam

marymcgol

Looking at these 2 ships for a transatlantic cruise in fall, 2018. We like traditional cruise experience - fixed seating, shows after dinner. Since there will be a number of sea days, cabin is important. We'd like a generous size cabin (at least 200 square feet excluding balcony), a combination tub/shower or an oversized shower stall, and a large balcony. Any recommendations? Aft facing verandah, signature suite? Have to admit the wraparound corner balconies on Oosterdam look very appealing. Thanks for any advice....

Looking at these 2 ships for a transatlantic cruise in fall, 2018. We like traditional cruise experience - fixed seating, shows after dinner. Since there will be a number of sea days, cabin is important. We'd like a generous size cabin (at least 200 square feet excluding balcony), a combination tub/shower or an oversized shower stall, and a large balcony. Any recommendations? Aft facing verandah, signature suite? Have to admit the wraparound corner balconies on Oosterdam look very appealing. Thanks for any advice....
Been in the aft-wrap Neptunes several times on the Oo'dam and sister Zuiderdam and they're great. The deck 5 verandas are twice the size of the other aft-wraps on the Vista Class ships.

I've yet to sail on the K'dam. Though we can afford it, I refuse to pay a substantial premium to sail the newer ship. I don't see us have a 20-25% better time. That's just my opinion.

The Koningsdam has fewer Signature and Neptune suites than the Oosterdam. As a result, the fares in these two categories are generally higher on the K. I will say, the K's Neptune suite was very nice!

I cannot speak for the other categories.

I can only speak for Neptune Suite on Koningsdam. It was my only HAL cruise to date and was wonderful. I loved the new ship. We did 7 night Fjord cruise in July and got a last minute upgrade from a Vista Suite to a Neptune Suite. Very happy we did it. The suite was beautiful (cabin 7118). Tons of room. My wife loved having the vanity against the window so she could see the beautiful Fjords while getting ready to go. Not a big deal for a TA, but a nice touch.

The Neptune Lounge is a nice place to relax. Enjoyed being only a short walk down the hall from it for a snack or coffee, etc.

Only went to one show, don't remember what it was but it was typical "cruise entertainment." The Theater is beautiful though and great for shows. Enjoyed the Billboard Lounge for the piano players in the evening. Lot's of fun.

Nice thing about the "new" ship... when you order a drink, the waiter enters it in his IPad and it is immediately transmitted to the bar and a "runner" delivers it. Very little wait. Very efficient. Same with Dinners. Really felt the service was first rate, and the use of technology was superb.

Anyway, loved the "new" ship. Highly recommended.

I'll also vouch for the deck 5 aft-wrap Neptunes on the Oosterdam. We were in 5190 in Alaska at the end of August, and the balcony is wonderful. I will say that the bathroom is slightly outdated, but not badly (the stand-alone shower stall is a bit small, and it and the bathtub are a dated bisque/tan shade), but everything worked properly. While I enjoyed the Oosterdam quite a bit, I think it's a bit small for my taste, so I'd like to sail on the Koningsdam to compare the experience. I prefer lots of dining options, and the Oosterdam just didn't provide that much variety.