Age on European river cruises

mouse1961

Generally speaking, passengers on river cruises tend to be in their 50's on up. Many passengers are retired. However, we have seen passengers in their 20's. On one trip, we had a honeymoon couple (20's). Much depends on the trip itself, as some lines are geared to "seniors." We have found, however, that river cruises are such a wonderful way to travel, and age makes little difference!

Very few below 60 is my experience. Mostly seasoned travelers that have already done Alaska, the "Med", etc several times. A wealth of life experiences to share with you. I personally found my British shipmates stories concerning the childhood in WW II England interesting.

On our two cruises on Uniworld's River Duchess ("Tulip Time" Amsterdam-to-Antwerp in April 2006, and then Vienna-to-Amsterdam in May 2007),... some (like us) were in their mid to upper 50s, but most were active and in their 60s and 70s. On one cruise, a woman 88 was traveling with her adult daughter, and she went everywhere the rest of us went ashore except climbing the 60-degree steps inside a windmill. :)

We took Avalon's Romantic Rhine in August. The crowd was mostly older, but some were in their 40's and 50's. We took two 12 year olds, and there was a total of about 9 to 11 teens and pre-teens. They found each other. It was a good group and age was not important.

We traveled on Avalon's Poetry (Magnificent Europe) in May. We were a younger couple (32/42), and there was a family with parents in their forties with 8-12 year olds (4). Other than that, I'd say most people were probably in their 50s and 60s. The cruise was recommended to us by another younger couple (30s) that did the same cruise the fall before. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone, regardless of age.

Archived