Regent Sun

Bargeo

• 4 weeks later...

Doug,

Thanks for the info. I wondered about the old gal myself. I remember the ship well. The movie theater (I've never seen one on another ship which is sad because my husband loved it), the fun games by the pool and the sea sickness bags up and down the corridors.

Those were the days!

By the way, how do you know this stuff?

The movie theater (I've never seen one on another ship which is sad because my husband loved it)

Try HAL - all except the Vista-class ships (ZUIDERDAM, OOSTERDAM, WESTERDAM, NOORDAM) have real cinemas.

These were de rigeur on large passenger ships before in-cabin televisions but these days most newbuilds go without.

By the way, how do you know this stuff?

I'm a ship nut :) .

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
We sailed on her in July of 1990 to Alaska. It was awsome! Just wondered what happened to her. I know that Regency Cruises went bankrupt.

Try this link

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/RegencyCruises.html#anchor260261

The Regency Rainbow is still sailing out of Corfu for Thomson Holidays as Thomson Emerald. We did a two week cruise last year around the Eastern Med and Adriatic last year.

What a sturdy, solid ship, we never felt it move for about five days. Obviously calm mediterranean waters were no problem for a classic liner built for transatlantic crossings.

However it wasn't designed for sunny climes. Brilliant indoor public rooms for that five day sea crossing, but poor outdoor facilities by modern standards.

• 2 years later...

We took our very first cruise on the Regent Sun back in 1989. After 25 cruises later, considering all the various cruise lines and ships we have sailed, this is STILL our favorite ship. The crew AND entertainment staff were incredibly friendly, the activities on board were fantastic (very abundant, NOT money-making events for the cruiseline - but rather purely for the passengers' enjoyment), the movie theater was one-of-a-kind (WHY, WHY, WHY don't they build these on the NEWER SHIPS??? - behemoths that they are???).

HERE IS THE KEY: The Regent Sun was 25 rgt (registered gross tons) and held 857 passengers!!! In case you think that is too small.... NO WAY! We were able to meet and get to know virtually everyone on board during the week... we felt like we knew everybody, both crew and passengers - it was one big, friendly family. We STILL keep in touch with many of the passengers (and crew!) up to this day.

It was SO different than the newest ships today, where they're made to generate the biggest buck for the cruiseline - that is, they're greater than 75 rgt so as to carry more people - this does NOT give you more space on the ship because, guess what?, these ships now carry 2,500 or more passengers!! This creates a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT environment during the cruise. Believe me, we've been on some of these ships and we will never go on these behemoths again... there is absolutely NONE of that friendly, getting-to-know-all-of-the-passengers, personalized service, etc that made the cruise experience SO special and perfect for us - which REALLY got us hooked on cruising forever. It's too bad most of the new ships being built are gargantuan 3,000++ passenger ships - we will not go on any of those, as it completely eradicates the incredible, special experience we had on the Regent Sun.

We also were on Regent Sun, May 90, Los Angeles/Vancouver, via Ketchikan.

In Ketchikan, the Captain, who resembled Marlon Brando, really leaned on the ship's whistle (horn) when a seaplane taxied across our path as we were leaving the harbor.

The above poster is slightly off on the tonnage - she was 25,338GRT, not 25GRT (which would be a bit small).

My wife did not care for the purple fixtures in the bathrooms, but we did like the ship and its layout.

• 2 weeks later...

Regent Sun sat in Tampa Bay for several years before her sinking enroute to the breakers. Similarly Chandris'Brittanis sat in Tampa Bay for years before also sinking enroute to the breakers.

Regent Sun began her career as Zim Line's Shalom, the Home Line's Doric, then Royal Cruise Line's Royal Odyssey, and last Regency Cruises' Regent Sun.

• 2 years later...
Does anyone know if we can get past cruise credit on any of the current lines from our Regency Cruises? I had a wonderful Alaska cruise in June of 89 on the Regent Sun
No, you cannot get any type of credit, Regency went totally out of business, they were not absorbed by another shipping concern.

• 6 months later...

Hi. I was an entertainer/singer on board the Regent Sun from August '94 to February '95. It was an amazing time in my life. The people and experience was incredible! I miss it in so many ways. But, life moves on and you get older and there are other things to do. I will always treasure the times and the memories on board the Regent Sun. I was saddened to learn that she went down on her way to the scrappers in the summer of 2001. It almost brought a tear to my eye. I suppose the old girl would rather commit herself to the deep than to be pulled apart with blow torches by people who didn't know how special she was. Live on old gal, in our hearts and memories!

If you would like to know the full history of the Regent Sun or any other classic ocean liner and where they are today check out www.ssmaritime.com. This guy is awesome at listing all the old ships and where they are and what happened to them. He gives a complete history of their names throughout the years. Its great.

Here is a link for the Regent Sun. She started out as the SS Shalom. Please note, he makes a mistake and calls her the Regal Sun. He is referring to the Regent Sun, though.

Here's the link:

http://www.ssmaritime.com/ZIM-3.htm

I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I did. Its fascinating!

Sincerely,

Bryant Cantrell

• 1 month later...

Archived