Question About Diabetic Cruiser

NurseMommyTGJ

Hi everyone,

If this question has been asked in another place I apologize--I could not find it.

My MIL and SIL are going on their first cruise next month on the Breakaway. My SIL is a type 1 diabetic (insulin-controlled with a pump). My MIL always carries juice/frosting with her wherever they go in case my SIL becomes hypoglycemic, but is worried it will be confiscated at one of the check-in areas. I would hope there would be an understanding and the crew would allow her to keep these items on her (especially considering they won't be experiencing a huge financial loss due to a couple juice boxes and a tube of frosting).

Does anyone have experience with this? She has already requested a needle bucket in their room, and could easily flash her insulin pump if someone questioned her motives, but I was hoping someone could set my mind at ease and tell me it will be no problem! I have cruised NCL 3 times and have been talking them up to my MIL...I would hate to see her experience ruined by something so petty.

Thanks in advance for your response! :cool:

If you need to bring liquids on that are in boxes or bottles for medical reasons, that is not a problem. Contact accessdesk@ncl.com and they will send you an approval letter to show the people at the port. I recommend doing this sooner rather than closer to the cruise.

For more information look under the FAQ's "accessible cruising".

If you need to bring liquids on that are in boxes or bottles for medical reasons, that is not a problem. Contact accessdesk@ncl.com and they will send you an approval letter to show the people at the port. I recommend doing this sooner rather than closer to the cruise.

For more information look under the FAQ's "accessible cruising".

Thank you!

I am traveling next week with my two children who have Type 1 Diabetes . I called the Access Desk yesterday regarding bringing juice boxes as these are medically needed supplies and they were very helpful and organized. They just add the information to your cabin for the person. They said I would just have to re print our documents with updated info. Do not leave the bags with liquid or supplies needed with porter at check in, you must bring as a carry on, with the document . They will also have all the medical needs added to your cabin info. at check in. They can also provide a Sharps container. I also asked for our room refrigerator to be emptied so we can store insulin, juice etc.

Enjoy the cruise!

I am traveling next week with my two children who have Type 1 Diabetes . I called the Access Desk yesterday regarding bringing juice boxes as these are medically needed supplies and they were very helpful and organized. They just add the information to your cabin for the person. They said I would just have to re print our documents with updated info. Do not leave the bags with liquid or supplies needed with porter at check in, you must bring as a carry on, with the document . They will also have all the medical needs added to your cabin info. at check in. They can also provide a Sharps container. I also asked for our room refrigerator to be emptied so we can store insulin, juice etc.

Enjoy the cruise!

Thanks so much!

I have type 1, also have an insulin pump. My go to for treating lows is fruit snacks so I have brought a box of those in my carry on to keep in the cabin. Since it wasn't liquid/drinks and was a packaged food item it wasn't a concern (packaged snack type foods can be carried on). I have never tried to bring juice boxes, but I'm sure it can be arranged easily by contacting the service desk. Hope they have a great time!

To ease getting back on the ship at the ports you may want to carry glucose tablets which are small and increase your glucose levels quickly. They are available form at Walmart fairly cheap. I am type I (50+ years) and usually want to travel lite due to the other things I carry like a Dexcom and device to control my Omi pod. Have a good trip and choose what works for you.

The cruise ships are not jails, they want to have happy guest. If you need a rule change for medical reasons most of the time they will be happy to do so. As long as other passengers or the ship is not put at risk. One general thing you can do is have your doctor write the information up on his pad and carry that if questioned. This line has a policy so follow that but the doctors orders can be helpful in other places.