BUENOS AIRES - Which Tango show?

arlenemilt

• 3 weeks later...

Arlene,

I have yet to meet anyone that didn't love the tango show they saw in BA so don't worry about it.

The only choice you should make is whether you prefer to see the "big glitzy one" with special effects, razzle, dazzle lighting effects etc. (like Senor Tango or Gardel) or if you prefer the low key, IOW, dancers and musicians on a stage with simple sets like Piazzelo.

We personally prefer the latter and so enjoyed the Piazello tango. I was already familiar with Piazello's music so I wanted to see tango danced to his compositions.

My advice would be to go to two tango shows, one of each kind!

You can't go wrong either way!

Or if you like to dance tango, have a guide take you to a malonga one night. Don't go to the malonga's alone because some of the neighborhoods they're in can be a bit dicey at night.

Hi all --

Arlene -- When we were in BA for 5 days in March before doing the BA to FLL we had several recommendations for the Piazzolla. We did the big splurge

and went for the private box. This was very out of character for us but in retrospect one of the best decisions we have ever made. The theatre is very interesting with opera like decoration being quite elegant. The food was good, the wine was good, even our portrait was good. There was some cig. smoke on the main floor but did not get to our box. The theatre is on Florida st. (the Ped. only street) We talked to several folks who did Piazzolla and others and it seems that it is between the Glitz shows and those near the La Bocca. We were very pleased and (horrors)even bought a T-Shirt.

Earl

Hi all --

Arlene -- When we were in BA for 5 days in March before doing the BA to FLL we had several recommendations for the Piazzolla. We did the big splurge

and went for the private box. This was very out of character for us but in retrospect one of the best decisions we have ever made. The theatre is very interesting with opera like decoration being quite elegant. The food was good, the wine was good, even our portrait was good. There was some cig. smoke on the main floor but did not get to our box. The theatre is on Florida st. (the Ped. only street) We talked to several folks who did Piazzolla and others and it seems that it is between the Glitz shows and those near the La Bocca. We were very pleased and (horrors)even bought a T-Shirt.

Earl

Thanks Earl. The Piazzolla seems to be highly recommended. BTW, we're heading over your way for turkey day. Spending a few days with Ro and Murray.

Arlene

Hi Jane:

We will also be in BA for 3 nights in February. I heard Café Tortoni was a great place to see some tango - did you go by any chance??

That name sounds familiar, but I honestly don't recall if we went there, or I just recall it because it was recommended. Sorry.

We went to a small place in La Boca for lunch that had some tango dancer that danced for tips. It was on the main street.

For a great dinner, I highly recommend Las Lillas La Cabanas. It's very famous, any hotel desk person will know it.

Arlene,

If you guys decide on the theater one, we'd be up for sharing a box. We get in morning of the 6th, so either the 6th or (preferable) the 7th would be good.

Let me know.

Donna, we're coming in the morning of the 6th too. There's another couple that are staying at the Marriott who will probably be going to a tango show with us. On the 7th we'd like to do an all day estancia, if possible. We need to find out how many the box holds. Earl, if you're reading this..............thanks.

Arlene

Hi all

Arlene -- Old guy (me) cant remember BUT person in charge of all things (DW) says that our box could be set for six without crowding -- however --

at least 2 folks would have their back to the stage. DW went back to our pix and in fact counted 8 water glasses at the box 2 down from us. Most of the boxes are in line with main floor area (on 2nd floor) so there is sort of a side viewing to the stage. The box we choose was one of 4 (i think) that were at the very beginning (entrance) of the theatre , 2nd floor, but with almost direct view to the stage.

If this is the Donah of Donah and Dennis :) Hi guys -- long time no sea:D

Earl

Hi all

Arlene -- Old guy (me) cant remember BUT person in charge of all things (DW) says that our box could be set for six without crowding -- however --

at least 2 folks would have their back to the stage. DW went back to our pix and in fact counted 8 water glasses at the box 2 down from us. Most of the boxes are in line with main floor area (on 2nd floor) so there is sort of a side viewing to the stage. The box we choose was one of 4 (i think) that were at the very beginning (entrance) of the theatre , 2nd floor, but with almost direct view to the stage.

If this is the Donah of Donah and Dennis :) Hi guys -- long time no sea:D

Earl

Aloha Earl!

Thanks for the info on the Piazzola. Sounds like a good choice. We were looking at the Esquina Carlos Gaudel, which also seems to have 'main floor' and box seating. Did you look into that one at all?

Hope you guys did okay with the bad hurricane seasons over the last few years! Sometimes I think you've got the better deal! We had another shaker today - 5.0, to follow up on the 6.5 or so we got in October. Wish Madam Pele would settle down!

Hope we'll get to see you guys aboard again one of these days!

Donna (of Donna and Dennis!) Still have that pic of us in line in Puerto Rico on election day at the liquor store stocking up. Makes me giggle....;)

For a great dinner, I highly recommend Las Lillas La

Cabanas. It's very famous, any hotel desk person will know it.

Thanks for the recommendation!!

We ended up making reservation at Piazzolla... I think we'll end up trying a few places!!

Thanks everyone for all the suggestion!

MC

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to seek out advice on some other respected web sites on this topic. Although I respect the judgement of my fellow cruisers and travelers, its sometimes interesting to get advice from the locals and business travelers who are often in a particular place. Apparently this topic was "beaten to death" on tripadvisor.com a few months ago and many who are often on their BA board reached a consensus. They suggested going to the Tango show at

http://www.esquinacarlosgardel.com.ar/cg/home_eng.htm

Anyone here have any experience with this show?

Hank

I really trust Frommers review and recommendation - I've never been disappointed by things to do, or restaurants etc that they have suggested. Here is what it says on Carlos Gardel Tango Show:

Frommer's Review:

The show here begins with the orchestra playing sad tangos, and then opens up with such a powerful and emotional rendition of Carlos Gardel's signature song, "Mi Buenos Aires Querido" that you'll almost feel like crying. This is perhaps the most elegant of the tango show palaces, built over the location of "Chanta Cuatro" -- a restaurant where Carlos Gardel used to dine with his friends and across the street from the Abasto Shopping Center, another location associated with him. The luxurious old-time-style dining room here features high-tech acoustics and superb dancers, creating a wonderful tango environment. Doors open at 8pm.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/buenosaires/N28330.html

MC

Thanks for the recommendation!!

We ended up making reservation at Piazzolla... I think we'll end up trying a few places!!

Thanks everyone for all the suggestion!

MC

We attended the Piazolla and loved it. It's not at "glitzy" as some of the others - no flashing lights, no horses on stage. Pure music and dance.

We anticipated a "so-so" dinner. As americans, I think we've gotten used to mediocrity when a meal is included with a show, so we were pleasantly suprised by the quality of the food and the wine at Piazolla. (of course, it's not Las Lilas, but that's the #1 place).

Have a blast!

• 4 weeks later...

We were in BA in December. We originally had two nights in BA but, due to late arrival of our flight from Iguazu we missed the Carlos Gardel that was scheduled for the first night. We had Piazzolla scheduled for the second night. It was wonderful. I agree with Jane110's review. We originally booked the two shows for the contrast and because we like Gardel and Piazzolla. The dancers were magnificant and did routines from the old to the new. The singers were outstanding, especially the male. The restaurant was small enough to give one an intimate feel.

We stayed at the Claridge and walked a few blocks on Florida Street to the Galerias Pacifico/Florida & Cordoba Shopping Mall which has a Cultural Center inside that has performances. There were street performers doing Tango near the Galerias that were quite good and not as tacky as the ones we saw in San Telmo/La Boca. I am not a shopper but noticed that some of the prices were very good.

Dbedros,

Oh please keep writing about your trip! We are staying at the Claridge too and Ricardo is picking us up as well! Did you happen to buy wine before you embarked? Our ship allows wine consumption in the cabin (brought from outside) so we want to find some nice wine - close to the Claridge, hopefully.

Any hints or words of wisdom for us about where to go and what to do? We are scheduled pretty full, but will have some time for strolling/shopping etc.

Keep it coming - and if you are doing a review, please point us to it.

We were in BA in December. We originally had two nights in BA but, due to late arrival of our flight from Iguazu we missed the Carlos Gardel that was scheduled for the first night. We had Piazzolla scheduled for the second night. It was wonderful. I agree with Jane110's review. We originally booked the two shows for the contrast and because we like Gardel and Piazzolla. The dancers were magnificant and did routines from the old to the new. The singers were outstanding, especially the male. The restaurant was small enough to give one an intimate feel.

We stayed at the Claridge and walked a few blocks on Florida Street to the Galerias Pacifico/Florida & Cordoba Shopping Mall which has a Cultural Center inside that has performances. There were street performers doing Tango near the Galerias that were quite good and not as tacky as the ones we saw in San Telmo/La Boca. I am not a shopper but noticed that some of the prices were very good.

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Brahmama, there is a liquor store about two doors up on your right going toward Florida Street. We did not by liquor, but did get cigars there for my brother. It did appear that they had a nice selection of quality liquors.

We went to Parrilla El Mirasol for lunch. They give you this cute souvenir that shows the various cuts of beef in both languages. There is more than one, but we went to the one at Puerto Madero and it is within walking distance of the Claridge or a short taxi ride. There were Argentine businessmen and families with a few tourists when we were there. If the weather is good you can sit outside on the water front. Their English was not very good but the food was.

Most places are a short taxi ride, but you may want to walk part of it to get a straight shot because the one way streets and traffic congestion make the ride take longer and cost more.

Archived