BUENOS AIRES - Which Tango show?

arlenemilt

We were in B.A. a few weeks ago for a couple of days before flying down to Ushuaia to board our ship for the Antarctic cruise. We went to the tango show at El Querandi and loved it. Unlike the two other tango shows we've seen which included Andean music and gaucho dancing, the show at El Querandi is only tango. It's a small, intimate setting and quite delightful. We are glad that we sprung for the VIP tickets, which included a private car from our hotel and back, along with a bottle of wine and a dessert. (We didn't have dinner there, preferring to dine with friends at a parilla.) The best thing about the VIP tickets was our table for two right at the little stage. Perfect. Your concierge can arrange the tickets for you. We much preferred the small venue and intimate atmosphere to the large, flashy shows we'd seen previously.

• 2 weeks later...

Also back from SA cruise.

As you know we had booked the Piazzolla and overall we really enjoyed our evening. A driver picked us up at 8H15 (I had the concierge call ahead just in case). The food was so so, but the show was really good. 4 couples of tango dancers, a typical bandoleon orchestra with 8 musicians, and 2 vocalists (male and female). It was a very good show (not Vegas style) in a beautiful theatre. The cost was 75$ US pp.

Princess was offering a tango dinner show at the El Viejo Almacen for 55$ US. But it was a chartered performance - so only Princess people, with dinner starting at 6pm and show at 8pm. We were told that the food was also only so so. People enjoyed the show.

We're happy about the choice we've made (other than we expected wonderful argentinian beef and it was pretty tough... - order the chicken!!)

MC

Also back from SA cruise.

As you know we had booked the Piazzolla and overall we really enjoyed our evening. A driver picked us up at 8H15 (I had the concierge call ahead just in case). The food was so so, but the show was really good. 4 couples of tango dancers, a typical bandoleon orchestra with 8 musicians, and 2 vocalists (male and female). It was a very good show (not Vegas style) in a beautiful theatre. The cost was 75$ US pp.

Princess was offering a tango dinner show at the El Viejo Almacen for 55$ US. But it was a chartered performance - so only Princess people, with dinner starting at 6pm and show at 8pm. We were told that the food was also only so so. People enjoyed the show.

We're happy about the choice we've made (other than we expected wonderful argentinian beef and it was pretty tough... - order the chicken!!)

MC

Thanks for the info MC. Perhaps we'll forego the Piazzolla and go to Gardel.

Arlene

We recently returned from a South American cruise ( Buenos Aires to Rio) and relied on the Concierge at the Marriott to make suggestions as to which tango show to attend. He said that Equina Carlos Gardel, El Viejo Almacen, Michangelo and El Querandi (if that is the one that is a full time restaurant) are all equally popular. He said that the one that is a full time restaurant has the best food so we tried to book that but is was already fully booked. So we decided to go to one without dinner. We decided against Equina Carlos Gardel as the concierge said that you wouldn' get as good a seat if you didn't eat dinner there. We went to Michaengelo and really enjoyed it - got a table for 2 in the front row off to one side. My husband who hadn't been too excited about a tango show really enjoyed it.

We recently returned from a South American cruise ( Buenos Aires to Rio) and relied on the Concierge at the Marriott to make suggestions as to which tango show to attend. He said that Equina Carlos Gardel, El Viejo Almacen, Michangelo and El Querandi (if that is the one that is a full time restaurant) are all equally popular. He said that the one that is a full time restaurant has the best food so we tried to book that but is was already fully booked. So we decided to go to one without dinner. We decided against Equina Carlos Gardel as the concierge said that you wouldn' get as good a seat if you didn't eat dinner there. We went to Michaengelo and really enjoyed it - got a table for 2 in the front row off to one side. My husband who hadn't been too excited about a tango show really enjoyed it.

I am sorry to hear the concierge tell you this. We called Gardel directly the night before and made a reservation for show only and got a off center table on the balcony level which is much better than floor seats.

The show was great for $57 dollars including empanadas and drinks.

We went to the El Viejo Almacen. We had dinner in their restaurant beforehand - not the best meal we had in Buenos Aires, but decent. The theater is across the street and very atmospheric (and Smoke free), which was a pleasure. The show was great - the main dancer had just one a tango contest and was fabulous. From what I can gather from these posts, is everybody enjoyed their show, whichever one they chose.

We went to the El Viejo Almacen. We had dinner in their restaurant beforehand - not the best meal we had in Buenos Aires, but decent. The theater is across the street and very atmospheric (and Smoke free), which was a pleasure. The show was great - the main dancer had just one a tango contest and was fabulous. From what I can gather from these posts, is everybody enjoyed their show, whichever one they chose.

I also attended the dinner and show at El Viejo Almacen in February 2007. I concur with the above comments. This show is a more traditional tango show without some of the glitz and special effects of other shows. See http://www.viejoalmacen.com for more information. Dinner begins at 8:00pm; the tango show show starts at 10:00pm and is over at around midnight.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question for those of you who have attended the Piazolla. I am traveling solo. I would love the VIP seating but is this possible as a solo? [i have traveled all over the globe alone and do not mind dining alone.] Did you see any solo diners at small tables in the theater? For those who went as a couple, were you able to have a box/balcony table?

By the way, this is a super thread. I am taking notes for my trip next January!

Tarheelbelle:

The boxes had 4 people sitting in them, so you might be paired with a couple - I would be surprised that they would let you alone in the box. We saw several people who were paired, what I mean is that most boxes had 2 couples that didn't know each other!

However, we had a table for 2 on the floor, in the center of the theater and felt we had a great view. Most seatings were on long tables running the length of the room, with smaller tables around the floor - our table was behind the long table and we still had a totally unobstructed view!

Good luck.

MC

• 3 weeks later...

We had a group of 6 from our roll call - and it was really nice to have a chance to meet them ahead of time - all from different hotels, and we went to Esquina Carlos Gardel, show only. We sat at the bar, which is raised, so we had a great view over the heads of the dinner crowd. We were served empanadas and one drink, and made our arrangements through Defrantur.com. They were excellent, and the show was incredible - one of the highlights of the whole trip. They also offer a really good instrumental CD and a DVD of the performance, as well, in a small gift shop area near the door.

I like the idea of going to see the show with drinks and empanadas instead of dinner.

And from our experience and those of many others, you will not be missing much by missing dinner. The show is really what is important; our meal was really not that great - empanadas and drinks would have been just fine!!

Have fun!

MC

And from our experience and those of many others, you will not be missing much by missing dinner. The show is really what is important; our meal was really not that great - empanadas and drinks would have been just fine!!

Have fun!

MC

Thanks, MC!!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
could someone please help an uninitiate

what is a tango show and why would i want to go?

It's sort of the national dance of Argentina. If you go to one that's not touristy, overpriced, or include a meal (like the one at the historic Cafe Tortoni http://www.cafetortoni.com.ar/), you might enjoy it. :)

Archived