Cheers program gratuity

tutumomma

Hello, I'm a newbie to the cheers program and after asking twice to Carnival and not getting an answer. If you purchase the $49.95 program does that also include gratuity or do you pay extra and if so how much? On RCCL it was all included in the base price. I am hoping someone can give me an answer. Thanks for your help.

Hello, I'm a newbie to the cheers program and after asking twice to Carnival and not getting an answer. If you purchase the $49.95 program does that also include gratuity or do you pay extra and if so how much? On RCCL it was all included in the base price. I am hoping someone can give me an answer. Thanks for your help.

No the gratuity is additional to the 49.95. Also remember that while in port tax is also added on per drink

Tom

The gratuity of 15% is added to the price of the total package. When in any US port, even if not the port of debarkation such as St Thomas or San Juan, tax is added to the individual drink price. It is added to your S&S card.

It's only a minimal amount per drink. I can't remember how much it was, but about 50 cents or less. We also tipped extra to the bartenders we used most of the time. DH and I tipped $1 per drink, but we would have done that even without Cheers.

No the gratuity is additional to the 49.95. Also remember that while in port tax is also added on per drink

Tom

One thing about the tax.. that is per drink whether you have the cheers program or not... the tax is on all drinks ordered before reaching international waters and has nothing to do with the cheers program

gratuity brings the cheers card up to about $57.00 and cents per day .Tax only charged when in ports...no additional tip needed UNLESS you think u might go over the 15 drink limit then it's always good to have a friend in your bartender. [emoji485][emoji483][emoji481][emoji484][emoji482]

If purchasing the Cheers program on day 1 and except leaving out of Galveston which you can't purchase til day2, wait until you reach international waters. By doing this you avoid the US tax payment.

The only tax you "avoid" is the per drink amount you'd pay anyway, even without cheers. The package itself is NOT taxed, even while tethered to the dock. I've done it twice the moment we got on the ship and the package + gratuity is all you are charged. You are not saving money by waiting, except the first day cost of cheers. However, Day 1 is usually when I hit it the hardest :)

Now, Texas state blue laws are another thing entirely. It's not tax you are avoiding, it's...Texas. I love Texas, really, I have tons of Texan pals, but I'm baffled sometimes by "its cool to carry a gun on you everywhere, but how dare you drink a beer on a Sunday!"

It's not just Sunday departures it's any departure day out of Texas. They like to collect their tax $ because there is no personal state taxes. Its all about the dollar. I commented about a higher tax amt based on the posts of others on this site. I have not tried the Cheers program yet but will on our upcoming cruise out NO in May. I have a thread on here asking about the cost and had several posters say that it was cheaper once in international waters because the state tax was no longer in play.

It is still nice to tip, especially if you drink a lot. Think about it this way. The gratuity is about $7.50 a day. That is probably fair if you get 6-8 drinks a day but if you are one of those people hitting the 15 drink limit, then you are only applying about 50 cents to every order. I know I would typically tip around $1 a drink. So if you drink heavily, try to remember that the tips are quite small in the long run and throw a $1 here and there when you can.

California collects tax on just about everything as well. 8% on the air we breathe just about. But the cheers package is NOT taxed. I've done it three times in the past 6 months and scrutinized my bill. It was just the base + gratuity.

I ended up paying an extra couple bucks in tax on individual drinks ordered while in U.S. ports-- .50-.80 at a time.

Also, waiting to buy out of Texas is a moot point. They won't SELL to you out of Texas until day 2 anyway. So...it's not taxed. Now, if the reason they won't SELL it is to avoid the taxes, that's something. But in other ports you can buy the moment you embark and not pay tax on the package itself.

And yes, TIP! I usually add an extra dollar to each drink. Make friends with a couple bartenders or bar waiters. My glass was never dry :)

Edited by JillySue

If purchasing the Cheers program on day 1 and except leaving out of Galveston which you can't purchase til day2, wait until you reach international waters. By doing this you avoid the US tax payment.

We've never paid sales tax on the cheers purchase just individual drinks while still in US waters.

It is still nice to tip, especially if you drink a lot. Think about it this way. The gratuity is about $7.50 a day. That is probably fair if you get 6-8 drinks a day but if you are one of those people hitting the 15 drink limit, then you are only applying about 50 cents to every order. I know I would typically tip around $1 a drink. So if you drink heavily, try to remember that the tips are quite small in the long run and throw a $1 here and there when you can.

Very good points. Also good to keep in mind that cash tips don't have to be split. Cash is king. :p

Edited by ancfun

Like others have stated - no tax on purchase of the package while in embarkation port. It used to be when the program was first implemented but is no longer.

Just charged a port/sales tax on value of drinks order while still in state/port territory (generally between 6%-9% depending on port). Just to clarify, it is just charged when docked at US and US territory ports (San Juan, St. Thomas, etc.). I say that only because a couple people said "when at ports", so wanted to clarify to avoid confusion.

Edited by Constipated Cruiser

We always tipped a buck per drinks, and got to know two bartenders very well at Lobby Bar and Alchemy. It came in handy if we ever hit 15 but still wanted a night cap.

My thoughts exactly!!!! [emoji484]

I dont even think its worth it

I mean- who drinks 15 of em? :eek:

* raises hand.

Depends largely on what you're drinking. When I'm on vacation and have no worries about driving or anything like that, it's real easy to down 15+ beers over the course of a 16 to 18 hour day.

* raises hand.

Depends largely on what you're drinking. When I'm on vacation and have no worries about driving or anything like that, it's real easy to down 15+ beers over the course of a 16 to 18 hour day.

uuuumm 15? :eek:

Ok Good Luck on that!

uuuumm 15? :eek:

Ok Good Luck on that!

I hit 15 twice on a 7 day cruise. Mimosas in the morning, frozen drinks by the pool in the afternoon, a couple glasses of wine with dinner and a few more cocktails at shows/comedy. They add up FAST!

Can you purchase the Cheers card when you get in international waters on the first day when leaving out of Charleston?

Yes, but not sure why you would wait until you reach international waters. No advantage in doing that, as the cheers program cost is the same whether you buy it when you board or wait until international waters