Norwegian Dawn - Handicap Accessible Cabin

mvrck1010

We will be sailing on the Dawn in August of 2016. We are taking my mom, who will be in the same cabin as my sister and nephew in a handicapped cabin. I was wondering how the accommodations are for a person that has limited mobility. We have booked her in a ocean view cabin, on deck 8. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Here is an example of a balcony accessible cabin on the Dawn where you can see the bathroom which should be identical in an Oceanview accessible cabin.

With an Oceanview cabin, the bed placement will be different. Usually the head of the main 2 beds will be against the window wall, with the drop down bunk on a side wall above one of the main beds unless it is a sideways layout and some of these cabins are sideways on Dawn. At the foot of the bed will be a small desk area. The room will be more spacious than a typical oceanview.

You might look here for the specific cabin number for more information:

http://cruiseratings.org/norwegian-dawn-deck-plans/dp/obstructed-oceanview-ok/cc/

OP, there are a total of 8 accessible oceanview staterooms on Dawn's deck 8, AFT sideway cabins near the elevators (and, stairs) - they would be near the 24/7 O'Sheehans (formerly, the Blue Lagoon - originally relocated from deck 7)

They can fit a maxium of 4 pax, 2 single beds that can be setup together as a queen/king bed, there's a trestle bed that's stored below one of the bed (when not used) and there's a pullman bed that drop down from the wall alongside the corridor's panel, usually above & over one of the bed - with a step ladder to climb up & down (for the abled person)

There is enough room to get around with 2 beds placed together, plus the trestle bed setup for a 3rd. person, to get around with room to move around.

See post #2 - with links to 3 photos from the NCL Star, which is very similar in floorplan layout for the Dawn (and, almost identical to the Jewel's deck 8 accessible layout). http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1000188&highlight=star+accessible

If you have your Dawn stateroom # assigned, you can reference it - it's certainly roomier by design so that the wheelchair or someone with a walker can get around. Be careful with the bathroom floor as it can be wet & slippery, use/get extra towel to catch the water coming from the shower, with the sliding curtain. A hanging organizer inside the bathroom might be handy for 3 people sharing the cabin as storage/shelf space is somewhat limited, otherwise not needed for non-accessible staterooms on simlar class of ships.

• 2 years later...

My 87 yer old wheelchair/limited mobility mother booked this trip for our family. A penthouse family suite and a balcony suite for 5 of us.

The embarkation in Tampa was a nightmare, even with valet parking, priority status and my mother in an electric wheelchair it was a 2 hour process to get on board.

Once on board, my mother, her husband and I went to settle in 12032 supposedly a handicap accessible room. The floor by the fold out couch was soaking wet from leaking windows and we had to have a drying machine placed (huge) placed in our suite everyday of cruising.

I noticed the safety rail separating the shower from the toilet was rickety and complained, they fixed it right away by adding 2 more bolts to the loose 2 there. But what could not be fixed was the height of the king bed; 28" so my mother who is a large woman recovering from cancer could not transfer from her wheelchair. They provided us with a step unit (!) This suite is meant to sleep 4 comfortably, but I don't know how that would be possible. I slept on the hard as rock (full size) pleather fold out couch with crate foam on top. There is also no lamp/light available for whomever sleeps on the couch bed, our lovely butler lent me his personal magnetic flashlight so I could read at night.

My mother fell twice off the step unit injuring herself with deep lacerations (luckily did not break anything) and the last 2 nights she and her husband slept on the small hard sofa bed.

I would also suggest earplugs, the suite is just off the pool deck and nights that host parties have the booming bass beating in the room till about midnight.