Mobility Scooter in Cozumel

Brenda62

Cozumel has handicapped taxis available...not many but they have them. A friend of our's took on out to Mr Sancho's Beach and he is in a BIG power chair.

We will be with GotS in Cozumel on Nov. 20. By any chance do you have specific info on vans for a power wheel chair?

i use a Hoveround and would like to sightsee when in Cozumel. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Herb :confused:

When you get off the ship head to the back of the shops where the Taxi's pick-up and deliver. There will be a man doing the calls, etc. Ask him for a handicap van, and he will call one for you. Oscar and I would head to Channcanab (sp), Mr Sanchez (very sandy and no way to get chair to water) or downtown. Never took a tour there, so not sure about cost for the van.

Hope Ive helped some.

Gordito, Not sure what information on the vans you need. I know they are full size Ford 250s. They are airconditioned, lift, not ramp and they load from the rear.

I'll check back as possible, so if you have any specific questions I'll try to answer them.

I use a power chair full-time and at Cozumel, we rented a van for the entire day. We had it for 5 or 6 hours and the cost was $180, he took us wherever we wanted to go. It had a wheelchair lift at the rear. And we planned it out ahead of time, reserving it a month or so in advance. It's a little expensive for a rental car for one day, but you get a driver, and I figured that I would probably never be back in Cozumel, so I wanted to drive around and see the place. Same thing in Roatan, a handicap van was expensive, but I doubt I will ever be back there either, so I wanted to see the entire island. And I'm not sorry that I splurged and did.

Unless Cozomel is different from the rest of the Mexican resorts I have been in take caution on the sidewalks. I have never seen a sidewalk sloped down to street level for handicaped access like you will find in North America but rather only standard six inch or more curbs.

• 4 weeks later...

I will be on Carnival next month in western caribbean............can I take a rented scooter off a Carnival ship when at dock. I understand some cruise lines do not allow this. thanks

Enchantment of the Seas - October 2013

Carnival Dream - December 2013

I will be on Carnival next month in western caribbean............can I take a rented scooter off a Carnival ship when at dock. I understand some cruise lines do not allow this. thanks

The cruise lines don't care if it's rented or not and will not prohibit you from taking it into port provided it's not a tendered port. In which case most cruise lines will not permit mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs onto the tender for space and safety reasons unless the tender has roll-on capabilities.

Unless Cozomel is different from the rest of the Mexican resorts I have been in take caution on the sidewalks. I have never seen a sidewalk sloped down to street level for handicaped access like you will find in North America but rather only standard six inch or more curbs.

There are a few curbs with ramps near where the ships dock, but if you venture very far you will have to be very creative finding ways to manouver.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Cozumel and I use a power scooter on an almost daily basis. Actually most of the side walks in the downtown area DO have slopping walks at each corner, Somtimes I may have to go on the side of the street, but my biggest problem is getting around tourists who walk 4 abreast and do not understand "excuse me" or "con Permisso".

• 1 month later...
Here is the information for the van that we rented-

this is his email, his name is Josue

taxi394@msn.com

And here is his website-

http://www.handicaptaxicoz.com

Keep in mind that this information is approximately 18 months old.

DW and I had Mr. Josue as a driver/guide on Nov. 20, 2014 and had a great 4 hours with him. Recommend him as reliable, friendly and very helpful.

Suggest a reservation, some weeks before arrival; by the way the contact information is still valid!

Rebeca and Herb ;) :confused: