Driver from Liverpool and vicinity

Next July, 5 of us will take a Princess cruise with a stop in Liverpool. We have ancestors who came from St. HELENS a town about 10 miles away. We would like to have a driver with knowledge of area to take us from Liverpool so we can visit a couple of churches, a cemetery and a couple of house addresses. Does anyone know of a service that does that in that area. ?

Hi,

The best solution for you may be to contact a Liverpool taxi company (Google "taxi Liverpool"), explain to them what you want to do and ask for a quote or take the train to St Helens, about 20-40 minutes then walk to what you want to see and maybe taxis.

Hope this helps

Next July, 5 of us will take a Princess cruise with a stop in Liverpool. We have ancestors who came from St. HELENS a town about 10 miles away. We would like to have a driver with knowledge of area to take us from Liverpool so we can visit a couple of churches, a cemetery and a couple of house addresses. Does anyone know of a service that does that in that area. ?

I'm originally from St Helens, but now live in Newport, South Wales. (Left home to join RAF in 89). It's also very easy to get a train there, about 15-25mins depending if it's an 'Express' train or not. Don't know of service available, but there are a few taxi companies in St Helens that could probably help. I still have family living there, so if you need any extra info my mum might be able to help.

Thank you much for responses. Have wanted to do this for years. My grandpa and grandma sailed from Liverpool for the US. Have address where my grandma lived, my greats were buried in pauper graves, but have location. Know the street in St. HELENS Pocket Nook Street . Our time is short there but I think my sister and I can do it. This will be the best part of our trip. THANK YOU:)

Thank you much for responses. Have wanted to do this for years. My grandpa and grandma sailed from Liverpool for the US. Have address where my grandma lived, my greats were buried in pauper graves, but have location. Know the street in St. HELENS Pocket Nook Street . Our time is short there but I think my sister and I can do it. This will be the best part of our trip. THANK YOU:)
Have you viewed Pocket Nook St on Google Maps/Street view, not many houses on the street anymore and some are newer.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Have you viewed Pocket Nook St on Google Maps/Street view, not many houses on the street anymore and some are newer.

I was about to post something similar. If you are looking at old addresses in areas were there were old houses (i.e. city centre like locations) you can often find that an area has been redeveloped, so the street may not exist at all or it could have changed (e.g. only part of it left, or re routed a bit). The main library in Liverpool have old maps (not sure if St Helens ones would be in Liverpool or a St Helen's one), but you would be pushed to have time to see those on a one day cruise stop. You can sometimes pay to have historians sort out info for you though, so may well be worth contacting a local library if it looks like it could be useful. We use Google Earth a lot and often go for "walks" on street view to see an area.

I agree about a local taxi company, though could be useful finding one that also has coverage in the centre of Liverpool, so they would be more likely to have a car in Liverpool to begin with - that is if you do not want to use the train, which also sounds a good idea. There are a lot of connections between local taxi companies as they have amalgamated. Taxis have to be licensed, so in effect they would also be the people to contact regards this sort of thing.

You can get a train from James Street Station (which is near the dock) for the short hop to Lime Street station were the St Helens trains leave from, otherwise, I suggest you take a taxi to Lime Street as it is a long walk from the cruise terminal (you may be able to buy though return tickets from James Street, but not sure about that). If you go via James Street, make sure you go to the platform for Lime Street Station. otherwise you will end up in The Wirral.

Edited by tring

You could post on the local forum on Trip Advisor. There is a St Helens forum under the England - Merseyside section. Just make sure you make clear your enquiry is to do with seeking a taxi company and a one day tourist visit of certain locations.

If you ask a question purely about family history the post may be pulled from TA for not being related to tourism :)

Edited by tring

Thanks for all the information. Guess we will look for taxi company upon arrival at train station. I do know most of houses from 1800's are gone but want to get the feel of the street, etc. Church and cemetery still there. I had looked into Trip advisor but it is not very active. People here keep up and are very helpful. I hope 10 hours is doable to see 3 things as it is not too far from Liverpool. Thanks again. If you think of any other helpful tidbit, I :)will keep looking.

Thanks for all the information. Guess we will look for taxi company upon arrival at train station. I do know most of houses from 1800's are gone but want to get the feel of the street, etc. Church and cemetery still there. I had looked into Trip advisor but it is not very active. People here keep up and are very helpful. I hope 10 hours is doable to see 3 things as it is not too far from Liverpool. Thanks again. If you think of any other helpful tidbit, I :)will keep looking.
10 hrs will be plenty of time don't worry.

OP, given your user name you may have explored this already, but there is a local history society for St Helens - http://www.sthelenstownshipsfhs.org.uk - and an online archive - http://calmview.sthelens.gov.uk/CalmView/default.aspx

I am a Trustee of the local heritage society in my Cotswolds parish and we welcome enquiries and visitors [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you. I was in contact with them for a map before of the area. Thus, I know the logistics. They were very helpfull. I do not know how it is in England but in the US some people are very keen on discovering their history. It is difficult for us as is so far away. Older people become interested in each generation. My mother was so 45 years ago. Each shares a tidbit .We. each get interested when we have time years later. The internet has been a godsend. I thank everyone who has helped me . I found a taxi company in St. Helens and as it gets closer will contact them for a fee for usage for 2 to 4 hours. It will be money well spent.