Notes from the Pearl to Alaska, 6/11/17-6/18/17

C Dog

I intended to write a longer, paragraph-style review, but quickly realized that would take far too much time. So here are some short bullet-points from our trip. Of note, this was our first cruise ever and first time to Alaska for me, my wife, and 2 kids (ages 7, 8). We had the two bedroom “Topaz” suite on deck 11, room 11024. My wife already posted a YouTube video I made on an earlier thread.

Seattle:

• No prearranged transportation, just walked up and grabbed a cab from the airport to our hotel
  • Stayed at Marriott Waterfront (expensive, great location, note double beds instead of queen makes it tight for 4)
  • Walked to Pike Place Market and up the hill to downtown, caught monorail to Space Needle
  • Walked across street to ship next morning

Our room (Topaz Suite, 11024):

• Loved the location; below card room and not much noise
  • Some may not like this suite as the balcony has an extended overhang from deck above, but we preferred it as it offered more protection from the rain
  • New mattress in the master suite was the most comfortable I have ever slept on
  • Water closet (toilet) door is see-through
  • Shower has the mini shower heads for your whole body but we didn’t figure out how to turn them on until the end of the cruise
  • Our mini fridge was empty upon arrival (I have heard some say they come stocked with things to buy; happy our fridge did not)
  • Since dry dock, it appears the two bedroom suites have lost 2 chairs in the living area opposite the sofa

Embarkation day, day at sea:

• Suite check in was less than one hour
  • Wife was seasick in open ocean but fine once we were in the inside passages
  • Captain said we had typical 8 foot long swells

Juneau:

• Didn’t arrange any NCL excursions or private excursions ahead of time
  • Rode the white bus/Juneau Tours to Mendenhall (preferred this to the NCL excursion because there is no time limit at the glacier if you go on your own on the bus)
  • Mt Roberts tram is somewhat pricey ($100 for me, wife, and 2 kids for a 2 minute ride)
  • Lengthy lines at Mt Roberts tram for return trip

Skagway:

• Booked excursions through NCL because cost wasn’t much different than the posted independent prices
  • Took the morning train on the shortest trip to White Pass; plenty long enough for a 7, 8 year old
  • Afternoon, took excursion to sled dog musher’s camp and saw the puppies
  • Ate and drank at Skagway Brewing Company

Glacier Bay:

• Saw 6 glaciers up close I believe - Marjerie and Grand Pacific by 10:00 where the captain turns the boat multiple times. The remaining 4 were just “drive-bys” in the Johns Hopkins inlet, but the area was the most impressive scenery of the trip, in my opinion

Ketchikan:

• Booked excursions through NCL, again, because cost not much different
  • Flew on the bush plane to Misty Fjords, definitely spotty turbulence but beautiful
  • Attended the lumberjack show (great for kids)
  • Did most souvenir shopping here

Victoria:

• Did the Pedicab tour (not offered through NCL); one cyclist/driver pulled all 4 of us!
  • The buffet stayed open later than the posted hours; I assume because of the late port time here

Disembarkation:

• Ate one last breakfast in the suite dining room (Moderno)
  • Disembarkation very quick with the priority disembarkation
  • Return trip to airport cost $50 for 4 of us on a large bus

Other notes:

• Splash Academy: Kids enjoyed, but we were discouraged from using it more than we would have due to the lengthy lines and check in/check out process
  • Hostess (Mary Ann) in the suite breakfast dining room (Moderno) offered to cut my daughter’s waffle for her.. Unexpected and a nice touch
  • Favorite specialty dining was Cagney’s
  • Many people recommend in-suite dining... We did breakfast one day in our room but I much prefer the bigger tables in the dining rooms and hotter food with readily available refills

All in all, we had a great first cruise experience. Asked the kids if they would rather go to Disney World next year or another cruise, and they both immediately replied "another cruise"!!!

You mentioned that your wife was seasick in open waters. Was she taking any medicines to prevent? I have motion sickness but I always take meclizine 24 hrs before start of cruise and throughout. We leave Sun and I am slightly worried about getting sick. I have never gotten sick on any of my previous cruises. THANKS for the quick and to the point review, I enjoyed it.

My husband always has an issue with motion sickness. He starts taking Meclizine 2-3 days before start of cruise. 1 at bedtime each day, as it makes him slightly drowsy and continues this routine through the cruise. He is fine on the first day at sea.

We sail to Alaska every year, usually in September on the Pearl.

It seems to have been a quiet year for storms up north. We have had record number of days without rain this summer. Next 10 days still look clear.

Happy cruising.

You mentioned that your wife was seasick in open waters. Was she taking any medicines to prevent? I have motion sickness but I always take meclizine 24 hrs before start of cruise and throughout. We leave Sun and I am slightly worried about getting sick. I have never gotten sick on any of my previous cruises. THANKS for the quick and to the point review, I enjoyed it.

None of us took anything as a preventative measure. She did once she started feeling sick, but I've heard that's not as effective as taking it beforehand.

As an old sailor, I still have to get my sea legs just about every time I go to sea, since it's not as often as I'd like. I've found that Bonine does the job for me, and I only take it on the day I will need it according to what I see building in the sea. It even worked fine taking it a couple of hours before heading to a Murder Mystery game at tables with the ship moving pretty well. Otherwise I would have been in trouble.