Mahahual - Worth Exploring The Town?

frisbeewife

I'll be in Costa Maya later this month and we're trying to decide what to do. We do NOT want another beach day and have already been to the ruins. I was wondering if the town of Mahahual was worth taking a taxi and wandering around a bit? The other option is to just hang around the port area but I was curious about Mahahual and what's there.

Thanks.

Mahahual is certainly not a shopping mecca, but I think it is definitely worth the cheap cab fare to get there and back. I would much rather spend my time there than at the artificial port at Costa Maya. Unless you are also stopping at Cozumel or PDC, you can at least buy some Mexican vanilla there.

You can go right outside the cruise port for shopping. Mahahual is a small fishing village with a beach problem. Everything is along the malecon. There are two main streets one going south one going north that have the front facades for the hotels and some housing. Shopping along the malecon is primarily via small kiosks and outside stands in front of beach clubs.

We enjoy the beach and beach clubs in Mahahual, you just may want to stay on the ship. Mahahual is just as artificial as the port. Walk behind the hotels and shops and you will see the poverty of the locals. At the beach clubs the food is good and the beer is cold, massages are the cheapest in the Caribbean.