Cape town south africa

B+K CRUISING

Just wanted to say hi - my wife and i had a lovely holiday around the Cape area a few years back.

Franschhoek - Ksyna - Camps bay

jj......

hi,

yip a really nice place,

see that you are doing eastern med + egypt.

we are going during april on ncl jade.

b

hi,

april is traditionally the start of our rainy season here in the cape,althou it has been late the past few years.

still have nice days mid 20 degrees cel with cooler evenings.

kruger is at the end of its rain season , so makes it a bit harder for game viwing as tha animals dont need to go to the watering holes for water and the bushes are very lush.as far as vic goes should be nice as the river are all flowing strongly by then.

cheers,

b

B & K: Thanks so much for your response. When do you think it would be better to plan a trip? Maxine

Hi,

I think April should be good for you,if you allow enought time for Kruger.

If you come much later you are going to get our Cape winters that are not very nice when on holiday.also plan for just after 15th of April as we have school break until then.(makes things a bit more crowded and expensive during the school holidays.)

Regards,

B

Hi,

there is a hotel called the "Kruger gate protea hotel"5 mins from the main gate of the park,try and spend 2 night there and 2 night in the park.Lots to see around the park too.Two days dedicated to the park should be fine and spend the other 2 sightseeing the Hazyview area around the park.

Also when in Cape town try and include a shark dive, then you will have covered "big 6". if you require any links let me know.

cheers,

B

To B+K

How do I travel from the city to the lookout / vantage point for those spectacular & famous post card shots of Table Mountain -- may be Blouberg or a similar name north of Cape Town city I believe.

Is there public transport available to get there?

Can you give an estimate of distance / travel time as well?

Info will be most appreciated

To B+K

How do I travel from the city to the lookout / vantage point for those spectacular & famous post card shots of Table Mountain -- may be Blouberg or a similar name north of Cape Town city I believe.

Is there public transport available to get there?

Can you give an estimate of distance / travel time as well?

Info will be most appreciated

you can take a cab- you don't need to have it wait for you there will be other cabs when you come down. there are also buses to the funicular to the Mountain top...

It depends where you are in town but its not far....(15 minutes by car)

We really enjoyed the Hop On Hop Off Bus tour. It took us to the top and then we visited the mountain top and it's beautiful views and then took another bus to the next stop. You can get off and on all day for one price. We went to the waterfront, and other places along the way time permitting. It's also narrated. Just try to be flexible and go when the fog is not surrounding it as they cancel the cable cars to the top. We were there for 3 days pre=cruise so the manager at our B&B suggested we go there the first day which was a good idea. Even then, the clouds started rolling in while we were there--the next day all fog.

Enjoy---Capetown is a beautiful city. We also took at day tour to the peninsula, flower gardens, etc., etc. We also had one day we strolled by ourselves.

you can take a cab- you don't need to have it wait for you there will be other cabs when you come down. there are also buses to the funicular to the Mountain top...

It depends where you are in town but its not far....(15 minutes by car)

I appreciate your advice which is to get up the mountain however I was thinking of the "other" table mountain views including spectacular Table Bay but from sea level some distance out of the city -- I guess in a northern suburb. It appears to be the location the professional photographers use to get those memorable post card views of the clouds forming a tablecloth rolling over the summit with the water of the bay in the foreground.

So what I really need to know is how to get there if possible by public transport

Shortly cruising on SUN PRINCESS -- 46 NIGHTS --Australia, Asia, India, Indian Ocean Islands, Madagascar, South Africa, Reunion & Mauritius

We really enjoyed the Hop On Hop Off Bus tour. It took us to the top and then we visited the mountain top and it's beautiful views and then took another bus to the next stop. You can get off and on all day for one price. We went to the waterfront, and other places along the way time permitting. It's also narrated. Just try to be flexible and go when the fog is not surrounding it as they cancel the cable cars to the top. We were there for 3 days pre=cruise so the manager at our B&B suggested we go there the first day which was a good idea. Even then, the clouds started rolling in while we were there--the next day all fog.

Enjoy---Capetown is a beautiful city. We also took at day tour to the peninsula, flower gardens, etc., etc. We also had one day we strolled by ourselves.

That sounds a great way to get around. Any details as to where you can initially board the bus,the cost & duration?

Many thanks

The only way I know how to get where you are specifically talking about is by cab, I guess. There are also independent tour guides that I researched before going and they could tailor make one, I'm sure. We hired a guide for a day and there were 4 more in the van. Wonderful tour with Cape Escape Tours. They came right to our B&B where we were staying the 3 days pre-cruise. Went to the gardens, Cape of Good Hope, Boulder Beach, Cape Point, Hout Bay, Chapman's Peak Road.

There are two routes for the Hop On Hop Off Bus. If you go online you can find which one you like best--Red or Blue, I think. It will also tell you the stops. Ours included the city tour I think--but can't remember red or blue. The cost for the two of us was $25 USD. To take the cable car up to Table Mountain was $33 USD. Beautiful up there and we saw the "tablecloth" coming down!

The length of the tour is your decision. We didn't start real early as we had flown in the night before after our 14 hr (I think) flight. You can pick up the bus at any of their stopping points. We walked about five blocks from our B&B. You chose where you want to get off and then return to that location and wait for the next bus, show your ticket, and go to the next place. We have used these HOHO busses in Lisbon, Stockholm, etc. The time is yours to do with what you want. We stopped at the waterfront to use the bank, did a little looking at the shops and then got back on. We really appreciated that when we returned at the end, our driver took us right to the intersection of our B&B so we didn't have to walk up hill.

One day we walked from our place all over ending at the waterfront. Ate dinner, and took a cab back. That was all up hill!!!

If you have other questions, please ask. We loved Cape Town.

How many days will you have there? We flew in 3 days early and did our own thing.

• 2 weeks later...
I appreciate your advice which is to get up the mountain however I was thinking of the "other" table mountain views including spectacular Table Bay but from sea level some distance out of the city -- I guess in a northern suburb. It appears to be the location the professional photographers use to get those memorable post card views of the clouds forming a tablecloth rolling over the summit with the water of the bay in the foreground.

So what I really need to know is how to get there if possible by public transport

Shortly cruising on SUN PRINCESS -- 46 NIGHTS --Australia, Asia, India, Indian Ocean Islands, Madagascar, South Africa, Reunion & Mauritius

Hi,

those pics are taken from blouwberg beach , in Milnerton.

should be able to take a taxi there.(about 20 mins from port)When are you going to be in Cape town?

regards,

B

gerena,

would you know if the hop-on hop-off bus goes to the cruise ship port. In the past I have found that these are an excellent way to see the city.

What about safety, is this a problem in Cape Town?

Jim and Elizabeth

gerena,

would you know if the hop-on hop-off bus goes to the cruise ship port. In the past I have found that these are an excellent way to see the city.

Jim and Elizabeth

Hi,

Hop on bus can be taken from the waterfront complex about 10 mins walk from where the ships dock.(smaller ships up to 35 000 tons will dock right in the waterfront).safety in the waterfront area is very good and the bus wont take you to any unsafe areas,but as any big city you must always be careful and be aware.

cheers,

B

gerena,

Jim and Elizabeth

We never had a problem in Cape town or any of the other towns we visited - the people were very friendly.

jj.....

Totally agree with B&K cruising. We walked to the waterfront one day in our 3 day pre-cruise. Then the day of embarkation, we walked to the shops around there and I made some purchases. It's quite nice and no problem. The HAL ship was right there.

We felt no problem in CT as far as safety. One does see a lot of iron on windows, however. But we walked at night with money in money belts. One day when we were walking, we were during the day in an area that didn't seem to have a lot of people (walking from the District VI museum to the waterfront). We just found a street with more people on it. We felt very safe.

Cape Town is a great place--wish we had planned more than the 3 days there.

I'm reminiscing now---it was on April 7 of 2008 that we flew to Cape Town---AH what memories.

Archived