Cape town south africa

B+K CRUISING

Hi B & K

I've just booked a repositioning cruise from the Med which calls at Cape Town before ending in Durban. I'm a woman travelling on her own and not a great fan of organised tours. my preference is to wander about and get the "feel" of a new place. Are there any areas that I should avoid on my own, for safety reasons? is the port close to town?

Thanks

You should be fine during the day - the V&A Waterfront is lovely round the bay is Camps bay again lovely. Of-course you'll have to go to the top of Table Mountain for the views AMAZING !! Or wine tasting go to franschhoek not far from CpT we went to Cabriere winery http://www.cabriere.co.za/

Check the official site http://www.capetown.travel/ for ideas

jj......

hi,

as Coxswain says,in Cape town the water front could keep you busy for a full day within walking distance and safe. in the waterfront can also get the topless bus that does all the sights.

Durban is not that easy,i would not take a walk from the harbour,but if you can get a cab to "Ushaka marine"not far from the harbour , highly recommended.

If you have more time in Durban also try and get to Umshlanga( good shopping centre and stunning beaches).

how long are you in Cape town for?

regards,

B

hi,

as Coxswain says,in Cape town the water front could keep you busy for a full day within walking distance and safe. in the waterfront can also get the topless bus that does all the sights.

Durban is not that easy,i would not take a walk from the harbour,but if you can get a cab to "Ushaka marine"not far from the harbour , highly recommended.

If you have more time in Durban also try and get to Umshlanga( good shopping centre and stunning beaches).

how long are you in Cape town for?

regards,

B

I'll only be in Cape town from 9-6, so basically max 8 hours by the time I get off and latest time to be back onboard.

I'm glad to hear that you recommend Umhlanga in Durban as I'm going to have a 2 night post cruise stay there in one of the beach front hotels.

You should be fine during the day - the V&A Waterfront is lovely round the bay is Camps bay again lovely. Of-course you'll have to go to the top of Table Mountain for the views AMAZING !! Or wine tasting go to franschhoek not far from CpT we went to Cabriere winery http://www.cabriere.co.za/

Check the official site http://www.capetown.travel/ for ideas

jj......

Thanks Coxswain also. I'm particularly partial to S African wines so that sounds like a fab idea. How did you get there and is it far?

• 2 months later...

I am looking for a white wine with NO SULFITES. I know that someone bought some in Capetown and tried to bring it on board the cruiseship but that cruiseline would not let them keep it in their cabin, even when they explained that it was the only wine that they could drink. I will be in Capetown starting a 32 day cruise in October and am interested in buying some white wine with NO SULFITES for my cruise.

The only way I know how to get where you are specifically talking about is by cab, I guess. There are also independent tour guides that I researched before going and they could tailor make one, I'm sure. We hired a guide for a day and there were 4 more in the van. Wonderful tour with Cape Escape Tours. They came right to our B&B where we were staying the 3 days pre-cruise. Went to the gardens, Cape of Good Hope, Boulder Beach, Cape Point, Hout Bay, Chapman's Peak Road.

There are two routes for the Hop On Hop Off Bus. If you go online you can find which one you like best--Red or Blue, I think. It will also tell you the stops. Ours included the city tour I think--but can't remember red or blue. The cost for the two of us was $25 USD. To take the cable car up to Table Mountain was $33 USD. Beautiful up there and we saw the "tablecloth" coming down!

The length of the tour is your decision. We didn't start real early as we had flown in the night before after our 14 hr (I think) flight. You can pick up the bus at any of their stopping points. We walked about five blocks from our B&B. You chose where you want to get off and then return to that location and wait for the next bus, show your ticket, and go to the next place. We have used these HOHO busses in Lisbon, Stockholm, etc. The time is yours to do with what you want. We stopped at the waterfront to use the bank, did a little looking at the shops and then got back on. We really appreciated that when we returned at the end, our driver took us right to the intersection of our B&B so we didn't have to walk up hill.

One day we walked from our place all over ending at the waterfront. Ate dinner, and took a cab back. That was all up hill!!!

If you have other questions, please ask. We loved Cape Town.

How many days will you have there? We flew in 3 days early and did our own thing.

Hi - we are going to be in Cape Town the end of January before our Silversea cruise. We have been looking carefully at Cape Town hotels, but still are confused over whether to stay at the Waterfront or near Table Mountain. We have looked through Trip Advisor and know what people recommend. But we would really appreciate any comments from someone who knows the city.

Can anyone comment on

Table Bay Hotel

V&A Waterfront Hotel

Cape Heritage Hotel

Mount Nelson Hotel

Westin Grand Cape at Waterfront

Cape Royale Hotel

Vendome Hotel

Is there somewhere else that is really great? (within reason please)

Is there an are that is easiest to obtain transportation around the city?

We are newbies to the city and any comments would be greatly appreciated.

After the cruise, we will do the winelands and Bushman's Kloof. So, we'd like a good hotel in the city for the remaining time.

Thanks so much!

We have been looking carefully at Cape Town hotels, but still are confused over whether to stay at the Waterfront or near Table Mountain.<>

Can anyone comment on V&A Waterfront Hotel

We stayed at the V & A Waterfront Hotel at the end of an African Safari. The property is gorgeous & has an unbeatable location along the Capetown waterfront. And it was easy to get from there to Table Mountain & other must-see spots. For us, it always comes down to to location, location, location. ;);)

Does anyone know what time the shops close in the V&A waterfront area? Our port time is not great 13.00-11.00 and ideally I'd like to head off to Table mountain and explore the rest of the city on the hop on hop off bus and do the shops at the end.

Thanks

Does anyone know what time the shops close in the V&A waterfront area? Our port time is not great 13.00-11.00 and ideally I'd like to head off to Table mountain and explore the rest of the city on the hop on hop off bus and do the shops at the end.

Thanks

We had dinner at a restuarant at the V&A. Shops were open in the early eveing at least.

• 4 weeks later...

There may be two replies to this as I'm having web trouble today. The V&A waterfront is right at the cruise dock at least for HAL. We walked from the ship and bought lots of pottery in the local craft shop and returned to the ship. Then the next morning I realized I didn't have the right receipt for the VAT refund, so returned and back to ship with no problem. Very safe area.

From looking at the Peninsula website, it appears it is very close to the V&A, too. They also have a shuttle. We walked all over Cape Town and enjoyed the HOHO buses. WE had 3 days there pre-cruise. Great city. Enjoy!

There may be two replies to this as I'm having web trouble today. The V&A waterfront is right at the cruise dock at least for HAL. We walked from the ship and bought lots of pottery in the local craft shop and returned to the ship. Then the next morning I realized I didn't have the right receipt for the VAT refund, so returned and back to ship with no problem. Very safe area.

From looking at the Peninsula website, it appears it is very close to the V&A, too. They also have a shuttle. We walked all over Cape Town and enjoyed the HOHO buses. WE had 3 days there pre-cruise. Great city. Enjoy!

Thanks so much for the information. We are really looking forward to spending time there:)

• 5 months later...

We will arrive Dec. 6 in Capetown for four days before we board the ship to spend another two days in port.

We wish to go right to the wine country and then to a wildlife lodge.

Thanks for your ideas. We do not travel luxury but like nice first class places.

Doggylover

• 2 years later...
Whats the ocean like between FLL & Capetown, in either direction as far roughness?

Suncoastkids

By FLL, do you mean Fort Lauderdale?

If so, there are no cruises that I know of between Fort Lauderdale and Cape Town. There may be a cruise that does a number of ports between FLL and CT but can you be more specific?

We LOVE the Commodore Hotel..right at the V&A Waterfront. Freddie is the

Concierge and he can get you anywhere you want to go. Also, they have a desk set up in the lobby with some day trips offered. We have stayed there 3 times and I have taken groups there also. Then next door is the Portswood..same "family" and have also stayed there..it is just fine, too..good dining room with local specialties. Elevator down to the V&A Waterfront. Seemed safe to us at night. You can get good rates on some of the travel sights. Our room has always had a view from the balcony of Table Mt that is FABULOUS..ask for a Table Mt. view room..enjoy..one of our most favorite cities!

Sherry

Whats the ocean like between FLL & Capetown, in either direction as far roughness?

Suncoastkids

We were on QM2 Cape Town to Ft Lauderdale and had good weather most of the way. Ship stopped in Rio and Barbados and it was during southern summer months.

• 4 months later...

Hi Alice

The Western Cape (where Cape Town is situated) is not a Big 5 safari area. In other words, the animals would have been moved there from other regions of the country.

This is not to say that you would not enjoy Fairy Glen. If you have very limited time then it may not be a bad idea to use this option. But IMHO it will be far better to go to one of the game farms in the north eastern parts of South Africa to get the real safari experience. Kruger and Sabi Sands area is the THE place to go.

Archived