Flying to/from MIA for your cruise- free lounge/snacks/and more

SailingGrace

After my last cruise, our flight was scheduled to depart at 6pm. We left the ship around 10am.....where to go, what to do to kill the time?

MIA has a military lounge that offers a great place to stay while waiting. You can spend this time unwinding with a book, watch movies or tv, surf the internet, have a snack....they even have familiy rooms where you can sleep in private.

http://www.miami-airport.com/armed_forces.asp

Services: Complimentary snacks, coffee, refreshments, food, magazines, TV, VCR, videotapes, computer, printer, fax, telephones (free local calls), toys for children.

Admittance: Armed Forces personnel and their families.

Hours and Days of Operation: 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., daily

I included the link in my post-

here it is again:

http://www.miami-airport.com/armed_forces.asp

If you want to know who is eligible to enter....go to the website.

Also, it's mostly USOs that have military lounges at airports. This is not the USO.

But San Francisco, San Diego, Raleigh/Durham...they have military lounges. I'm sure others do as well, but these are the only other 3 I've visited.

• 3 weeks later...

Most of the USO s take active, retirees and dependents/ a few even take vets with just a few years time,They all have web sites so just google the area you are traveling to or tru, I spent 10 hours at the USO at Dulles Airport in WDC in July and that was a life saver after a red eye flight from LAX and a pending all night flight to Madrid. I am a widow of a career Air Force man but never really knew about this great benefit until I was alone. So if you have a DOD Id Card, use it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have gone to the USO when it is just me by myself (Charlotte, NC this past July), and I went to Alaska with my husband's family (hubby, then just my boyfriend, was in bootcamp so he couldn't go) and his dad is retired from the army and got himself, my mother-in-law, sister-in-law and myself in to the Anchorage USO so we could relax before our flight home. As long as you have a military ID, they will let you in.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, this is great info. Glad I was wandering about CC today and found this thread. My DH and I will be having alot of down time when we fly out of Miami in 4 weeks with no where else to go. Good to know this is available! Thanks! :)

Phoenix has a newly appointed USO in terminal 2 . At this time they take all vets and dependents.It is open from 8-8 m-f and 8-6 s-s.Snacks, internet, phones , playroom and big lounge chairs and a library.TRY IT next time you pass through Phoenix

• 2 weeks later...

To clarify, ALL USO Airport Lounges allow military, retired, reserve and their dependents.

We LOVE the Charlotte USO (which has great leather recliners and free Cinnabon, etc.) but were unimpressed with Atlanta's.... there is even a USO in NYC near Times Square that offers great discount tix. Definitely gotta give kudos to that organization!

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to USOs Navy active duty and retired are welcome at the United Seaman’s Service Clubs located in the vicinity of most major sea ports around the world. They are a home away from home for merchant seaman. Naval personal from anywhere in the world are always made welcome.

Active duty Military and retired flying out of Gulfport, Mississippi now have a very nice and brand new USO on the second deck of the airport terminal. Offering them free soda, coffee, snacks, TV and comfortable chairs to relax in while they are waiting for their flights.

• 1 year later...
That's wonderful.

Is this the only airport that does this?

Is this just for active personnel only?

We have gone into military lounges in a lot of places, and all I show is my retired I.D. card with no problem. This also applies to USO lounges. It's amazing how many restaurants also honor us with discounts. :D:D

Archived