Reporting live from the QM2 8/7 & 8/13 crossings

grandsix

We hope to give at least 1 daily synopsis of our 8/7 and 8/13 transatlantic crossings. While we have completed these voyages many times, it is always exciting to be on board this magnificent ocean liner, the QM2. Hopefully, some of this information will be helpful to those who have not sailed the QM2. And for those getting ready to sail in the near future. And to bring back fond memories for previous passengers.

Embarkation was quite easy as we arrived close to 1pm. We proceeded to the Kings Court for lunch. It was not very busy as we were greeted by several managers and staff. The key, especially for first timers is to check out all of the food stations available. The area is quite large so be prepared to walk around. We learned from a very reliable source that the QM2 just received a 100% rating from the USPH (U.S. Public Health).

Music to our ears as we want to eat on a Ship (Ocean Liner) that is clean. We finished lunch and went to our cabin to find our luggage was there. In all honesty, the QM2 ranks way up there with getting the lugge to their passengers in a very timely manner. After unpacking we roamed around and heard Paul Madden playing pian in the lobby. Paul is a favorite for those that frequent the Commodore Club and usually draws a good crowd each evening. Just heard the 1st call for the Passenger Emergency Drill at 4pm. Will post more information shortly.

The Captain on this voyage is Christopher Rynd.

Laugh at me if you wish, but it took me until the final day to notice something on the chrome signs for King's Court -- the ones near the elevator lobbies.

I just assumed the red, green and blue shapes were design elements, but in reality, they show you the location of Carvery, Lotus, and La Piazza relative to where you are standing. As in.... a map.

Additionally, I then realized those colors on the signs reflect the decor of each area. Carvery is green, Lotus is blue, and LaPiazza is red.

All this, after getting all turned around and losing my lunch companion because I was charging to and fro on a quest for baked pasta, bangers, stilton, jook, or whatever I was craving in the moment.

"Montlee", the salad bar is as you enter the Kings court and near the Lotus Restaaurant area.

The drill went off quite well and was nice to see all of the passengers listening to the captain talk as there was hardly anyone talking over him.

The sailaway was beautiful as the sun was shining and the weather delightful. It was official as the Captain Rynd thanked the crew for the 100% public health rating. We had early seating in the Britannia Restaurant. As it was the first night, the restaurant was about 70% full. there were many late arrivals who were unable to unpack in time so the some people were not properly dressed. They were given a pass for today. there are also quite a feww children of all ages which is not your normal crossing demographic.

Attended the opening welcome aboard show. Entertainment director Ray rouse is the consummate profesional who is quite knowledgeable about the Cunard traditiona and the cruise industry. We believe he is a great asset to Cunard. we also like the fact that he constantly reminds the passengers about the dangers of the noro virus. Constant washing of the hands is the key. Some bits of information, there are 2638 passengers 6 dogs and 3 cats on this voyage. Will wait for the country numbers from the Captain. There are 1282 crew. thus farr we have found the crew to be extremely friendly. A friendly smile from the passenger also helps.

For our dance enthusiasts, the Queens room was not too crowded by Cunard standards. While it is still the first night, about 60 people in atendence including the wonderful dance hosts. The orchestra is still under the direction of Bill Gibson. There is a new singer Michel Chartier. It was his 1st night and as his predecessors, he has a terricfic voice.

Sent some time in G32 listening and dancing to house bad Vibz and DJ Nico. Nice job guys.

breakfast at the Kings court was quiet and will be attending the Cruise Critic get together at 11am in the Commodore Club. Loads of activities on the Daily programme.

We have just booked our first Cunard crossing for next May. We are very excited and looking forward to the experience. We've been on 23 cruises since 1983 and I'm thinking that this experience may be as close to the product we originally fell in love with as anything we've experienced for a long time.

I've been lurking/drooling around this board forever. I'll be anxiously awaiting your next post. Thanks for sharing.

Irene

Finished a very nice Cruise Critic get together. Captain Rynd and his lovely wife stopped by to thank us for sailing Cunard. Food and beverage Mgr. Rudi Lanier along with Dominador Gimenez, Executive Chef Klaus Kremer and Social hostess Jennifer Schaper stopped by to answer any of our questions. They were most courteous. Rudi mentioned the importance of "White Star Service" and showed us a card that is carried with them at all times as a reminder of the 12 points of service. Klaus mention 12,000 meals a day are prepared. Lunch in the dining room was nice and quiet.off to see a Piano duo concert this afternoon and then get ready for the Captians Welcome Abard Coktail Party for the Britanna Retaurant.

Your reports are SO making me wish I was crossing again this week!

I love hearing the statistics of passenger nationalities. Other than during the captain's talk at the first formal night welcome party in Queens' Room, I never saw or heard those numbers anywhere else.

If you see Eva in Commodore, give her a smile and a hello from her fan club - the 2 martini drinkers from San Fran!

Indeed, on our recent crossing there were many many small children.

DJ Nico is a real character. One night he was on a roll and played some pretty good stuff. In general, though, I wish the dance music in G32 were more edgy / current / etc but I suspect they keep the numbers fairly generic to appeal to the widest audience. Still, maybe having a late night garage / techno / trance / electronica "party" could be fun.

There was quit a bit of fog last night which is typical on the 2nd night crossing the Atlantic. The fog horn was in full swing which is manatory by law. Captain"s reception was quite nice. Those of us who knew Captain Rynd from the QE2 always find him to be quite charming. There are inexcess of 1,300 guests from the UK, 840 from the US, 115 canadians, close to 100 from Germany, 32 French and the remaining guests from 34 different countries. People seemed to be in good form as all the night venues were busy. The eary seating theatre seating was full and the singers and sdancers put on a excellent performance. come early for good seating. The Queens room was full to capacity and the dancers crowded the dance floor. Even G32 was crowded until well after 2am. This showed as Saturday morning is quiet. not many people in the restaurants and gym. Some are relaxing in the magnigicent library. Seas are calm this morning. It is cloudy and a little cool as we walked the deck. Another full plate of activities for everyone today. Ray really knows how plan something for just about everyone.

I am enjoying your report live from the ship. Hopefully I will be able to experience a TA. It is certainly on my "bucket list". :D

Did anyone bring the Cruise Critic log to the meet and greet for everyone to sign?

Your reports are SO making me wish I was crossing again this week!

I love hearing the statistics of passenger nationalities. Other than during the captain's talk at the first formal night welcome party in Queens' Room, I never saw or heard those numbers anywhere else.

If you see Eva in Commodore, give her a smile and a hello from her fan club - the 2 martini drinkers from San Fran!

Indeed, on our recent crossing there were many many small children.

DJ Nico is a real character. One night he was on a roll and played some pretty good stuff. In general, though, I wish the dance music in G32 were more edgy / current / etc but I suspect they keep the numbers fairly generic to appeal to the widest audience. Still, maybe having a late night garage / techno / trance / electronica "party" could be fun.

EVa who is also known as "Queen of the Martini" was pretty busy mixing drinks last night. She remembers you and was not sure of your name. Are your names Bernice and John?. At any rate she would recognize you again in person. She was thrilled that someone was asking about her. Will be giving an update a little later. Quiet morning and off to musical trivia with Ray.

Yesterday was another enjoyable day. There was a fairly new addition to the afternoon activities call "Groovy Choir" where the passengers have a sort of sing along in the lobby. there was a R.A.D.A condensed performnce of "Romeo and Juliet". Early seating performance by singer comedian Jon Courtenay brought a standing ovation. "Vibz" performed in the Queens Room on this formal night. At alot of dancing to different style off music. Music was all around the Queen Mary including Kareoke. Just about everyone on this vessel was out and having a good time. Even G32 was rocking until 2 or 3AM. Almost forgot to say there are a lot of children on board and so far they are all pretty much well behaved.

As of Sunday morning we have travelled approximately 1,400 nautical miles with approx. 1,600 more to go. seas are alittle choppy, but you can hardly tell. We aso passed BiShops Rock and 300 miles from the Titanic. Another fun filled packed day of activities are planned.

Thanks for the log Grandsix. I was quite content to do my other travelling with a QM2 cruise coming in November. Now all I want to do is get back onboard!

Be patient, it will occrur before you know it. And as before, you wil have a glorious time.

For our dancers out there, we learned some interesting information which we will post in a few days.

There are approximately 350 children on board, but you would never know it. Up to this point they are extremely well behaved. Thank you parents.

there was a great jam session at lunch time in the Golden Lion Pub with Mark Hodgson and a 6 piece band with production show Michael singing some great songs. It was fun. The Big Band semi formal night was a huge sucess. Another late night for many on this great vessel. The leading passenger aboard this voyage has over 1,300 sea days with Cunard and was recognized at the Gold, Platinum and Diamond Cocktail Party.

This morning we were informed by captain Rynd that we are facing some tough weather ahead and we should all be careful of potential sudden movement. This will be a challenging day for this great ocean liner.

Not sure whether or not "Apassionata" which requires a great deal of dancing will be performed. Going off to see Celebrity guest lecture Margaret Atwood speak. Formal night at the Royal Ascot Ball tonight.

Sorry, not Bernice and John.

We are Todd (AKA Beefeaters with olives) and Chris (Ketel One, "no garnish")

from 10041, 16 July embarkation.

We also really like the dark haired woman from Bulgaria, she was an expert with digital camera operations, but I cannot recall her name.

Great reports! Use the railings!

WOW!!!!!!! What a magnificent job by Captain Rynd, Staff Captain Camby, Chief Engineer Whattling and the entire bridge. While the Captain warned us of potential ship uncomfort, this vessel handled a force 9+ out of 12 in a magnificent manner. The nightly production which featured a great deal of dancing was flawless. Dancing was no problem. Everone had a grand time at the Ascot Ball. Want to again mention there are over 350 children on board and it seems all are quite well behaved with good mannners. The staff has given them a little leeway as some even attended the ball.

Today is our last full dy and we hear a reluctance by so many to leave. There are a great deal of first time cruisers aboard. The wind has subsided quite a bit and although there are some swells it is quite comfortable outside and many people are sunning themselves on deck 8. 70's night tonight in the Queens room. There are just so many staff we would like to thank for a successful voyage. Glad we are staying on. About 7pm will be passing Bishops Rock which is the smallest island to have a building. We have travelled 3,093. 17 hours to go.

Next voyage we hope to spotlight and recognize some of the staff we have interacted with. Also give some information we learned about the upcoming drydock. Also hope to dispell some of the comments made on Cruise Critic.

WOW!!!!!!! What a magnificent job by Captain Rynd, Staff Captain Camby, Chief Engineer Whattling and the entire bridge. While the Captain warned us of potential ship uncomfort, this vessel handled a force 9+ out of 12 in a magnificent manner. The nightly production which featured a great deal of dancing was flawless. Dancing was no problem. Everone had a grand time at the Ascot Ball. Want to again mention there are over 350 children on board and it seems all are quite well behaved with good mannners. The staff has given them a little leeway as some even attended the ball.

Today is our last full dy and we hear a reluctance by so many to leave. There are a great deal of first time cruisers aboard. The wind has subsided quite a bit and although there are some swells it is quite comfortable outside and many people are sunning themselves on deck 8. 70's night tonight in the Queens room. There are just so many staff we would like to thank for a successful voyage. Glad we are staying on. About 7pm will be passing Bishops Rock which is the smallest island to have a building. We have travelled 3,093. 17 hours to go.

Next voyage we hope to spotlight and recognize some of the staff we have interacted with. Also give some information we learned about the upcoming drydock. Also hope to dispell some of the comments made on Cruise Critic.

Thanks for taking the time out to do this.

Cant wait to hear whats going to happen while she is in drydock.

Had some problem with the system this morning.

Arrived safely this morning. Disembarkation was quite smooth, however there was a back up in customs which has nothing to do with Cunard.

The weather in the morning was good then became cloudy and some light showers as predicted by Captain Rynd. We went to West Quay Mall and needed a jacket as it was chilly.

Overall we rated this voyage EXCELLENT as our standards are high. There were some minor glitches that were taken care of immediately. A good attitude by the passengers is an important ingredient in order to have a good time. Our only disappointment on this voyage was the dress. We do not believe Cunard has approved of lowering their dress code, time will tell. An example were men in shorts and women poorly dressed during the afternoon "Tea Time Dance". Somehow being served with white glove service and the Head Waiter dressed quite stylish did not fit in with the ambience. Daytime dress was also disappointing as mentioned to us by many Cunard repeaters. Let us hope that the dress will improve this voyage.

We have learned that the Qm2 will be going into dry dock in the next few months for the primary reason of maintenance of the "Pods". As one can imagine, this vessel goes through a great of stress crossing the Atlantic 20 some odd times a year. In addition there will be some changes to the Chart room. Good news for the dancers. The dance floor in the Queens room will be refinished.

There are some staff replacements for those going on holiday, but everyone looks ready to go. Standard drill again a 4pm. Also look forward to the Welcome aboard Show and some dancing.

Hope to dispell some rumors tomorrow based on our observations.

Archived