Verandah Rooms on Oosterdam (Alaska - May 2019)

Sending my parents on their first cruise for their 40th anniversary! Looking for reviews/ advice on Oosterdam Verandah rooms:

VF - 4036, 8001, 8005, 8009, 8128, 8132

VE - 8023-26, 8098, 8105

VD - 7042, 703, 7044, 7092, 7094, 7099

VC - 6047, 6110, 6112, 6119, 6121, 8145

Looking for advice on potential noise, and also my mom occasionally experiences sea sickness. Thank you!

First of all, 4036 has a steel-walled railing rather than plexiglas which restricts what you can see when seated. Many people do not like those cabins (4001 to 4042).

Since Mom can get sea-sick, I would not put them high and far forward, which eliminates many of the VD, VE and VF you've listed. 8145 can also get more motion than she would like. Also far-forward cabins mean a long walk to the dining end of the ship! :)

Deck 8 under the sea view pool area can be noisy early in the mornings when they're dragging around chairs to clean the deck, and can have loud music when party type activities are there.

So: my recommendation would be 7092/4/9 or 6112/19/21. (Our first choice on Vista ships is 7090 to 7143.) Don't worry about noise from the elevator area. Faint "arrival" bells can be heard, but they're not really annoying, to us at least.

P.S. - Welcome to Cruise Critic and the HAL forum! :D

Edited by catl331

I notice you didn’t include Deck 5, but we were recently in 5076 and it was a very good room. Mid-ship and quiet. Plus our stewards, Andy and Wayan, were fantastic.
We don't care for deck 5 mid-ship because the balconies are smaller (just 4 ft deep vs 6 ft standard) and are right over the life boats. Edited by catl331

First of all, 4036 has a steel-walled railing rather than plexiglas which restricts what you can see when seated. Many people do not like those cabins (4001 to 4042).

Since Mom can get sea-sick, I would not put them high and far forward, which eliminates many of the VD, VE and VF you've listed. 8145 can also get more motion than she would like. Also far-forward cabins mean a long walk to the dining end of the ship! :)

Deck 8 under the sea view pool area can be noisy early in the mornings when they're dragging around chairs to clean the deck, and can have loud music when party type activities are there.

So: my recommendation would be 7092/4/9 or 6112/19/21. (Our first choice on Vista ships is 7090 to 7143.) Don't worry about noise from the elevator area. Faint "arrival" bells can be heard, but they're not really annoying, to us at least.

P.S. - Welcome to Cruise Critic and the HAL forum! :D

Very helpful! Thank you!! Another thought I just had -- is it worth the extra 100 per person to take the Eurodam to add Glacier Bay to the itinerary?

Very helpful! Thank you!! Another thought I just had -- is it worth the extra 100 per person to take the Eurodam to add Glacier Bay to the itinerary?
I think that everyone should see both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier at least once in their life, and I like both the E-dam and O-dam so that's a tough call for me. I guess I would lean more toward the E because it has a Tamarind which we really enjoy, and because I give a slight nod to GB over Yakutat Bay for overall scenery. Hubbard is much larger than GB's biggest glacier (Margerie) but sometimes the ships have a hard time getting up close to Hubbard.

BTW I meant to include 6110 in my list of suggested cabins.

Gotcha. Never knew there was a difference in the depth.
That plus I don't think they rate the top price for verandas. Originally they were VE and VF, and good deal then IMO. Edited by catl331

I think that everyone should see both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier at least once in their life, and I like both the E-dam and O-dam so that's a tough call for me. I guess I would lean more toward the E because it has a Tamarind which we really enjoy, and because I give a slight nod to GB over Yakutat Bay for overall scenery. Hubbard is much larger than GB's biggest glacier (Margerie) but sometimes the ships have a hard time getting up close to Hubbard.

BTW I meant to include 6110 in my list of suggested cabins.

That plus I don't think they rate the top price for verandas. Originally they were VE and VF, and good deal then IMO.

Very much appreciate your advice! Would your cabin recommendations essentially be the same for the Eurodam?

Very much appreciate your advice! Would your cabin recommendations essentially be the same for the Eurodam?
Yes, our first choice would be VD7082 to VE7135, followed by VC6110 to VD6173. Third choice would be VE8118/20/21/22/23/24/25 but no farther aft than that on deck 8.