Please help! We HAVE to get married!

Best Buds

For various reasons, we need to get married during our upcoming cruise starting November 30, 2008. It doesn't seem like enough time to arrange it at this late date but here are the facts:

We could get married on the Explorer of the Seas...has anyone tied the knot onboard?

But we would prefer an island wedding...these are the islands we will be visiting--Puerto Rico, St. Martin, St. Maarten, St Thomas, Antigua, Barbados, Dominica and Tortola--has anyone planned their wedding on any of them? Do you know if wedding ceremonies on any of these islands will be legally recognized everywhere in the world (like especially in the USA)?

We started thinking about this most seriously yesterday and were able to do a little research which seems to indicate that you need two months or MORE time to plan an island wedding in a foreign country. Do we need to hire a wedding planner on the island? We don't really want an elaborate affair; just a simple beachside ceremony with half a dozen friends and some great champagne. This may not be the right forum for this but...can anyone help?

For various reasons, we need to get married during our upcoming cruise starting November 30, 2008. It doesn't seem like enough time to arrange it at this late date but here are the facts:

We could get married on the Explorer of the Seas...has anyone tied the knot onboard?

But we would prefer an island wedding...these are the islands we will be visiting--Puerto Rico, St. Martin, St. Maarten, St Thomas, Antigua, Barbados, Dominica and Tortola--has anyone planned their wedding on any of them? Do you know if wedding ceremonies on any of these islands will be legally recognized everywhere in the world (like especially in the USA)?

We started thinking about this most seriously yesterday and were able to do a little research which seems to indicate that you need two months or MORE time to plan an island wedding in a foreign country. Do we need to hire a wedding planner on the island? We don't really want an elaborate affair; just a simple beachside ceremony with half a dozen friends and some great champagne. This may not be the right forum for this but...can anyone help?

I am not familiar with your islands, but want to give you hope that yes it can be done and done quickly. My DF and I decided that this was our time (we already had our cruise booked) He did a google search for get married in (insert port) and we found a port that worked for us. I am using a local planner and all we have to do is show up. I wish you the best. The internet can be a great resource.

I don't know if it is too late to coordinate it through the cruiseline or not, but I can recommend my WC who is in St. Thomas. Her name is Leslie Thomas-Dawson, and she is through Perfect Weddings of St. Thomas. There are numerous packages to pick from, from simple to elaborate. She has been great to work with and is more reasonably priced than the cruiseline anyway. That may be a start:)

I can't offer any advice about the island weddings and I can only tell you that if you get married on a cruise, you have to go through the Wedding Experience for almost every cruise line. I don't know if you would have enough time to do it thru the cruise line---I would think it could be arranged through one of the private wedding coordinators on one of the islands easier. Your only problem at this late of a date is if they are available to do it on the day that you are there. I think the first thing you have to do is figure out which island you would like to do it on and then do a search for weddings on that island. Call them and see if they can fit you in. Good luck!

Barbie

I know that you want to get married on an island, but if it helps, we decided on and booked our wedding almost exactly a year ago for December 16, 2007. So, as long as they don't already have too many weddings booked on the ship, you should be able to add it on through Royal Romance. You will have to pay in full now though. You'll also need to get your marriage license paperwork started ASAP. The biggest problem I had in all of the planning was getting my dress in time. :)

Definitely call RR and see what they say with the port options, and read around these forums for some local WC ideas. Call everybody and see what your options are, because the worse that they can do is say no. Good luck!!

We got married in Barbados on Foul Bay Beach. Our wedding was perfectly legal here in the US. I've used our license at the DMV and the SSA with no problems at all. I did check with our County Recorder and an attorney as well (I was paranoid...what can I say? :o) to get reassurance our marriage would be legal.

Barbados is a GORGEOUS island to say the least! Here's the link to my wedding review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=686827

Here's my Webshots page with our wedding pictures. There are some pictures from Barbados as well.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562352517cXfSPr?vhost=good-times

The Barbados pictures start on page 12.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562048630BFOHXc?vhost=good-times&start=132

Our coordinator was Lisa from Weddings...Beyond Your Imagination. She's made a few last minute weddings happen in her time. She's the quintessential professional and she can make magic happen!

http://www.barbadosweddings.com/

(The pictured couple on the main page with the quote is none other than myself and my husband...had to plug that in there! :))

If I can help any more, feel free to shout! :)

I can't offer any advice about the island weddings and I can only tell you that if you get married on a cruise, you have to go through the Wedding Experience for almost every cruise line. I don't know if you would have enough time to do it thru the cruise line---I would think it could be arranged through one of the private wedding coordinators on one of the islands easier. Your only problem at this late of a date is if they are available to do it on the day that you are there. I think the first thing you have to do is figure out which island you would like to do it on and then do a search for weddings on that island. Call them and see if they can fit you in. Good luck!

Barbie

Just to clarify on Barbie - if you are on a cruise you do not have to get married through the cruise lines coordinators.

If you want to have your wedding and reception on board the ship, then you will have to arrange that thru Royal Romance (aka The Wedding Experience)

If you want to do an island wedding, that can be arranged either thru Royal Romance OR thru an island coordinator.

My suggestion to you is to get married in St. Thomas as that is American Territory and is going to be the easiest for you, in terms of legality.

My other suggestion to you is to get in touch with both the private island coordinator that esbie11 is using and call RR/TWE directly. Inform both companies of your desires and ask if they can pull it off. Once you have the answers to those questions, and a feel for both companies, you can then proceed to plan.

Good luck & happy sailing.

We got married in Barbados on Foul Bay Beach. Our wedding was perfectly legal here in the US. I've used our license at the DMV and the SSA with no problems at all. I did check with our County Recorder and an attorney as well (I was paranoid...what can I say? :o) to get reassurance our marriage would be legal.

Barbados is a GORGEOUS island to say the least! Here's the link to my wedding review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=686827

Here's my Webshots page with our wedding pictures. There are some pictures from Barbados as well.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562352517cXfSPr?vhost=good-times

The Barbados pictures start on page 12.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562048630BFOHXc?vhost=good-times&start=132

Our coordinator was Lisa from Weddings...Beyond Your Imagination. She's made a few last minute weddings happen in her time. She's the quintessential professional and she can make magic happen!

http://www.barbadosweddings.com/

(The pictured couple on the main page with the quote is none other than myself and my husband...had to plug that in there! :))

If I can help any more, feel free to shout! :)

Barbados is an amazing island! Since luvmytbear is saying everything is legal (which I didn't know) I would very much opt for that island wedding experience and go thru a private coordinator.

Lynne,

I was recently married on the EOS, 2 short months ago! It went really well, here's the link to my review that has more information than you could possibly want: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=838654.

But if you really want the island wedding, I say definitely go for that!

Good luck with your plans!

-Emily

It's not too late to get married on the cruise itself if using RR/TWE. They will charge you a $250.00 late fee if you book within 30 days of your cruise date. You should call now and make sure the date is available though!! Ask for Travis or Julie. They are excellent! The marriage license paperwork is what you should be most concerned with. Each port has different requirements so if you really want to get married on that date, start making your phone calls to RR and private W/C's NOW and make a decision soon! Good luck!

I too would reccoment St Thomas for your big day. My Dh and I were married there this march and loved it. We used Paradise Bridal Consultants and they also have a range of packages to choose from. We had no problems and got our license in the mail a week later. Good luck!!!

You should narrow your search down by checking out the residency requirements for each of your ports...most islands have some sort of mandatory residence that would not allow you to get married while in port that day. However, St. Thomas has no such requirements and is why a lot of cruise ship brides have beach weddings there.

I am getting married there on Dec. 1st and am using Janelle Scott from Island Bliss weddings. She is fantastic, I would highly recommend her! Using a local WC is (from what I've read here) a lot easier and cheaper than going through the cruiseline.

Good luck and happy planning! Doing it in less than two months is totally do-able!

Thank you, jbpinkie...you were the first to give me hope that this could be done and I went immediately to the internet as you recommended!

We have narrowed it down to St Thomas, Antigua or Barbados and, for those of you who are interested, here's why:

St Thomas: EASY MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS--$100 court fee (or $150 even on Sundays and holidays) payable 8 days prior to the wedding date according to USVI law, passport OR driver's license for ID. I think sas80 may be right--it would be EASIER to arrange something in the US Virgin Islands! Thanks, espie11--I sent an email to Leslie Thomas-Dawson at Perfect Weddings and may have LOTS of questions for you later! Thanks also to fungirl76 and katosmama, I am also going to email Paradise Bridal Consultants and Janelle at Island Bliss tonight! We will be in St Thomas on Thursday, December 4, 2008!!!

Antigua: NO RESIDENCY STAY--requires $150 marriage license application, $40 courthouse fee and $50 for marriage officer, passports and a Certificate of Celibacy to determine single staus, two witnesses and a Change of Name Deed if you have changed your name.

Barbados: SIMPLICITY!--requires $200 for marriage license and $45 for stamp, passports OR birth certificates and proof of "return tickets"; no waiting time and no minimum residency. luvmtbear: Barbados is my first choice but we are in Barbados on Sunday, December 7th and I am not sure they open government offices on Sunday! I did email malissa@barbadosweddings.net already but I an going to send one to Lisa at Weddings Beyond Imagination too now--thanks! (I started this email reply before I got a chance to look at all your wedding stuff--I'll do that next. If this works out; I'm going to need a lot of support from YOU!)

Thanks also to malibubarbie for encouraging me to narrow down my choices, to marinerbride who said to call everybody and get options (the worst they can say is NO!) and to hollidaygal who reminded me to GET GOING (less thinking and more action) and make a decision and some phone calls (send emails) NOW!

And last of all, thanks to DNineMoons--I believe I read the great review you wrote about your EOS wedding when I first thought about getting married on a cruise. You were amazing and handled everything with style and grace! As much as I truly LOVE the Explorer and her crew, I don't think I could handle all the changes and uncertainty involved with RR/TWE or a cruise ship wedding!

:) :) :) THANKS! :) :) :) PLEASE STAY IN TOUCH!

For those who might need this information too; here's why we rejected:

Puerto Rico: TOO COMPLICATED--requires $30 stamp fee, passport or photo ID, allow two months to get a marriage certificate from PR Health Department, need a blood test (can get in advance in USA) within 10 days of ceremony with a 3 day wait before the actual ceremony PLUS you must both see a PR doctor for another exam.

St Maarten: RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT TOO LONG--requires fees of $102 for Tuesday to Thursday, $113 for Friday and $204 for Saturday, their marriage laws for tourists are new to St Maarten and they require a tourist permit from the Lt Governor (not to exceed 3 months but they require you to be on-island two days before the ceremony). This permit has a wait of 14 days up to 4 months for approval. [St Martin is worse: it has a 30 day residency requirement!]

Dominica: RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT TOO LONG--requires $7.50 stamp, $300 license fee and BOTH a passport and birth certificate along with a "non-marriage" certificate; the marriage application must be signed by both parties in front of a magistrate and a separate declaration form must be signed by both parties before a Commissioner of Oath. One member of the party must be a resident on Dominica for two days.

Tortola: RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT TOO LONG--requires a ceremony fee of $35 in office or $100 elsewhere; $100 purchase of postage stamps if less than 15 days in the territory or $50 if in the BVI for 15 days or more, four separate witnesses, passport with PROOF of arrival date and a minimum 3 day stay in BVI.

Thank you, jbpinkie...you were the first to give me hope that this could be done and I went immediately to the internet as you recommended!

We have narrowed it down to St Thomas, Antigua or Barbados and, for those of you who are interested, here's why:

St Thomas: EASY MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS--$100 court fee (or $150 even on Sundays and holidays) payable 8 days prior to the wedding date according to USVI law, passport OR driver's license for ID. I think sas80 may be right--it would be EASIER to arrange something in the US Virgin Islands! Thanks, espie11--I sent an email to Leslie Thomas-Dawson at Perfect Weddings and may have LOTS of questions for you later! Thanks also to fungirl76 and katosmama, I am also going to email Paradise Bridal Consultants and Janelle at Island Bliss tonight! We will be in St Thomas on Thursday, December 4, 2008!!!

Antigua: NO RESIDENCY STAY--requires $150 marriage license application, $40 courthouse fee and $50 for marriage officer, passports and a Certificate of Celibacy to determine single staus, two witnesses and a Change of Name Deed if you have changed your name.

Barbados: SIMPLICITY!--requires $200 for marriage license and $45 for stamp, passports OR birth certificates and proof of "return tickets"; no waiting time and no minimum residency. luvmtbear: Barbados is my first choice but we are in Barbados on Sunday, December 7th and I am not sure they open government offices on Sunday! I did email malissa@barbadosweddings.net already but I an going to send one to Lisa at Weddings Beyond Imagination too now--thanks! (I started this email reply before I got a chance to look at all your wedding stuff--I'll do that next. If this works out; I'm going to need a lot of support from YOU!)

Thanks also to malibubarbie for encouraging me to narrow down my choices, to marinerbride who said to call everybody and get options (the worst they can say is NO!) and to hollidaygal who reminded me to GET GOING (less thinking and more action) and make a decision and some phone calls (send emails) NOW!

And last of all, thanks to DNineMoons--I believe I read the great review you wrote about your EOS wedding when I first thought about getting married on a cruise. You were amazing and handled everything with style and grace! As much as I truly LOVE the Explorer and her crew, I don't think I could handle all the changes and uncertainty involved with RR/TWE or a cruise ship wedding!

Puerto Rico: TOO COMPLICATED--requires $30 stamp fee, passport or photo ID, allow two months to get a marriage certificate from PR Health Department, need a blood test (can get in advance in USA) within 10 days of ceremony with a 3 day wait before the actual ceremony PLUS you must both see a PR doctor for another exam.

St Maarten: RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT TOO LONG--requires fees of $102 for Tuesday to Thursday, $113 for Friday and $204 for Saturday, their marriage laws for tourists are new to St Maarten and they require a tourist permit from the Lt Governor (not to exceed 3 months but they require you to be on-island two days before the ceremony). This permit has a wait of 14 days up to 4 months for approval. [St Martin is worse: it has a 30 day residency requirement!]

Dominica: RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT TOO LONG--requires $7.50 stamp, $300 license fee and BOTH a passport and birth certificate along with a "non-marriage" certificate; the marriage application must be signed by both parties in front of a magistrate and a separate declaration form must be signed by both parties before a Commissioner of Oath. One member of the party must be a resident on Dominica for two days.

Tortola: RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT TOO LONG--requires a ceremony fee of $35 in office or $100 elsewhere; $100 purchase of postage stamps if less than 15 days in the territory or $50 if in the BVI for 15 days or more, four separate witnesses, passport with PROOF of arrival date and a minimum 3 day stay in BVI.

Great! I am glad you are making some headway! I'd be happy to answer any questions. I have also heard raving reviews about Janelle from Island Bliss, so she would be nice to work with if Leslie doesn't work out. I had no idea that there were such weird requirements for Puerto Rico. I would think that since it is a US territory, it wouldn't be such a PITA!

Great news, now like someone said, just stay on it. I have to agree that PR should be so much easier, one would think... Oh well, it sounds like you have a few great options. Keep us posted!!

Not that it's any of our business...

How come you have to get married on the cruise in a few short months....?

Is there, perhaps, an unexpected b-u-n in the oven? Hmmmm? ;)

Feel free to tell me it's none of my business....I'm playin' more than anything!:D

Congrats and good luck!

Glad we could all help you out and get you going. That's what this board is for! It's great when we can all come together and truly help someone. IMHO - I vote for St. Thomas or Barbados. Always hear great reviews! I'm sure it will be everything you want. Let us know how it goes and good luck!

I also recomment St. Thomas. My FH and I are getting married there is March of 09. I am using Janelle Scott from Island Bliss Wedding. She is awesome to deal with and will do everything in her power to give you everything you want.

Hi,

I was married nearly a year ago in St. Thomas and used Leslie of Pefect Weddings. If you search the board for "Fairbrot" I'm sure you will find several of my postings with a variety of information. If you can't find them, feel free to ask any questions. You can email me at princessd0767@gmail.com. I would do it all again in a heartbeat. Leslie was fantastic and made everything just "perfect". Good luck and Congrats!

Thanks Sas80 for clarifying my post---she knew what I meant even though the fingers didn't type it! LOL

Sounds like you are making a lot of headway! I am sure it will happen....where and exactly when.....not so definite on but you WILL come back a married girl! ;)

Barbie

Be careful. My daughter got married on board CB which is legal everywhere but NY. She had to get remarried by mayor at home when NY state would not recognize it. St Thomas or Puerto Rico would be your best bet to avoid this problem

Archived