Rum Cigars and Coffee (oh my!)

galavanter

Hello!

A bit of a silly question - are all transactions for purchasing rum, cigars, and coffee in cash? Should I plan on changing USD to CUC or will I be able to purchase with USD?

How much (roughly) should I figure for Havana Club and coffee? I think Cohibas are about 20 CUC + is that correct?

Thanks so much!

All transactions you make in Cuba will be in cash. American credit cards (and even American cash) is not accepted. I saw a couple of tip jars in a few bars with US$1's stuck in them, but that's technically illegal.

If you have time before your trip, you will come out ahead if you go to your local bank and buy Euros (or Canadian dollars or British pounds). There is a 3% exchange fee regardless of the currency you provide, but there is an additional 10% tax on US dollars -- they are still a little miffed about that whole embargo thing.

We just got back from Cuba last week. Cohibas will run you CUC$20-25 each. Havana Club Maestros was CUC$40. HC 7 year old was CUC$20. HC Blanco was CUC$7. That was at the store we stopped at, but, since just about everything is government-controlled, I wouldn't expect you to find much difference in pricing at other stores.