resistance regulations - and sprinklers/smoke detectors will be

fitted in bathrooms & fire patrols from today are being run every 15

minutes. Cunard & UK Marine & Coastguard Agency have agreed plan to

fix - 2000 smoke detectors will be fixed before she sails tomorrow

on her next voyage and sprinklers fitted by agreed deadline. Cunard

are writing to all pax reassuring them on safety. Looks like an

embarrasing slip up at St Nazaire....and if you've courted all the

publicity Cunard has for QM2....expect any 'news' to hit the

headlines. However, compared with her predeceeor's extensive stiffening and vibration problems...pretty small potatoes....and given the multiple contractors involved in a project this size I'd be amazed if this was the only slip up.....

Peter

Here's a link to the BBC reporting.

If you have time, watch the video -- it's comprehensive.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3837063.stm

I suspect that the bathroom fire on the Maiden Westbound Transatlantic crossing -- which was reportedly more difficult than expected to put out -- might have intensified the investigation.

"Drama Queen Mary 2" is doing a nice job of maintaining her family's reputation. :) :( :eek: :cool:

Crouton

The Maritime Safety Agency has a press release: http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga-dops_pr_newsroom-press-releases-release.htm?mcga_news_id=2549&month=6&year=2004 which states

'It has to be stressed that the material under consideration is in a normally low risk wet area of the cabin and that the vessel already has a highly efficient sprinkler system throughout its passenger accommodation. The MCA is satisfied that passenger safety is not compromised.'

According to tonight's BBC news report,the original Manufacturer refused to use the specified material because of it's flammability,and manufacture was moved by Cunard to Poland.

As a result of the BBC's investigation,and report,the MCA has ordered an extra sprinkler in the bathroom,one in the cabin adjacent to the bathroom,and a smoke detector which hardly sounds minor to me.

The MCA along with similar safety authorities in other Countries take a strict line on the materials used to construct or modify a vessel. These regulations are part of the SOLAS regulations that govern the safe operation of ships through the world.

Since the advent of modern easy clean materials there has been a corresponding increase in the problems associated with these materials when they catch fire namely dense black toxic fumes.

The guidelines for the use of materials and general safety standards are subject to continual review and development taking account of new practices and lessons learned. The same thinking applies in the airline industry with the introduction of newer and safer aircraft. Materials used in many operational cruise ships simply wouldn't be allowed in any new building.

I have no doubt that the QM2 is safe. The MCA are simply saying that in the light of new information they are requiring additional safety measures. I would think one of their concerns is smoking in the bathroom area and passengers leaving a lit cigarette on a vanity unity. I'm sure we've all seen bathroom areas where there is evidence of cigarette damage at one time or another.

I bet the next proble will be smoke alarms going off when the batteries run low or false alarms from an open bathroom door.

Archived