Review - Rhapsody of the Seas October 28: Adriatic and Italy cruise

Background:

I usually travel and cruise with my mom and we booked this cruise while on board Adventure last year in September. The price was pretty good and it was during a school holiday here in Belgium. We decided it would be the perfect gift for a sweet 16, my goddaughter and mom's granddaughter.

We wanted to keep it a secret and put on her the plane to Venice the day prior to the cruise, but it worked out differently. While snooping around my mom's computer she found the reservation and gone was the surprise. But she was pretty excited to take her first cruise.

A couple of weeks after booking a panoramic ocean view became available and we switched to that instead of the regular ocean view we had booked, figuring a sleeper sofa would be more adequate than a Pullman bed. Our cabin was on deck 8, right under the pool area and the TA we used for the first time advised again it, since it could be noisy. We decided to take our chances and didn't regret it.

Cruise planner reservations:

Booked a soda fountain/surf and stream combo for the goddaughter prior to the cruise. I also booked her a room decoration since her B-Day was the day before embarkation and a cake. I wrongly put my name on the cake and contacted my TA and she contacted RCI to get it changed. She also put the fact that we were celebrating a birthday in the reservation and later on we would find out RCI really took care of it :)

Travel day:

We left the day prior to the cruise, flying from Brussels to Venice. Our flight left Brussels at 9.15 pm and landed right on time, so we arrived in Venice around 10.45 pm. A couple of weeks prior to the cruise I found a great deal for the Best Western Titian Inn and booked it, instead of the Olimpia Hotel near the Piazalla Roma. Since we had decided we would go to the ship straight from the hotel, it was much easier and cheaper to stay near the airport and drive to the port from there.

Our bags arrived pretty fast and I love how they arrive in Venice. They come from a higher level and drop down. Since we were positioned right in front of the drop, it was fun to watch. Carousel started turning and soon enough the first bag appeared: Mine! Now that was exciting. :D Other bags arrived soon enough and we followed the signs to the taxis. It is very well organized, as someone was there to ask where we wanted to go. We were told it wasn't very far, but it costed 20€. After 11, tired, in a strange city I didn't want to haul my suitcases to the hotel, and a 16-year old wouldn't do that either, certainly not on her birthday. Taxi driver was also pretty straight forward and also said it wasn't very far, and pretty costly for the distance. Let me tell you that it was much further than anticipated.

The Best Western Titian is a very nice hotel. I booked a triple room and we ended up in a 2 room apartment type room. Very clean and comfortable: One bedroom with a king bed and a living room area with two sleeper sofas.

Upon check-in I inquired about a taxi for the next morning to go to the port and the agent said someone had reserved a shuttle for 11.30 am to go to the port. We were asked if we wanted to go along. The fee for the 3 of us was 40€. We decided 11.30 would be early enough, since it was only a 30 minute drive to the port.

After a short night we woke up and went to breakfast. Adequate enough and we were satisfied for the morning. Check out was 12 pm and we played cards in our room until a little after 11. We went downstairs and waited for the shuttle.

Up next: Embarkation time!

Looking forward to more, we're sailing on Rhapsody out of Venice in October 2018, so will be watching for tips and ideas. We're doing the Dubrovnik, Kotor, Santorini and Katakolon itinerary, hopefully there will be some crossover.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I was on this sailing and looking forward to your thoughts, we had a great time! It sounds like your travel day went smoothly. Yes, the big drop in baggage claim made me glad I hadn't packed anything breakable in my checked bag!