SpeedTest and WIFI

cruiserNC

Was wondering if anyone has done a speed test recently and what plan & ship you were on?

We were on the Sunshine in August right before school started and the max speed I experienced was 3.5 down and that was after upgrading to premium. I've never seen that many people using wireless devices. I recall on our Dream cruise I was getting over 15 that was when they had the all you can use premium for 99 entire cruise.

Also wanted to note that we had several virus intrusions while connected. Being in the field of IT I decided to check the network and astonished how many devices were connected and how wide open the network was. Just like any public wifi make sure to protect your device prior to connecting as all your personal files could be easily compromised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
Was wondering if anyone has done a speed test recently and what plan & ship you were on?

We were on the Sunshine in August right before school started and the max speed I experienced was 3.5 down and that was after upgrading to premium. I've never seen that many people using wireless devices. I recall on our Dream cruise I was getting over 15 that was when they had the all you can use premium for 99 entire cruise.

Also wanted to note that we had several virus intrusions while connected. Being in the field of IT I decided to check the network and astonished how many devices were connected and how wide open the network was. Just like any public wifi make sure to protect your device prior to connecting as all your personal files could be easily compromised.

Back on the Carnival Freedom in December, speeds varied for me widely. Around the home port of Galveston, I would get about 1 down. Mid Gulf, I'd get about 2 down but occasionally would drop to .2 or .3. Between Cayman and Jamaica, it didn't work neither did our satellite TV so I assume I was in a dead spot between satellites. Upload speeds were always abysmal; never more than .1-.2. Latency consistently around 800ms which is as expected.

Sorry, but there is no way CCL is putting out 15Mb, more like 1.5. I check it every cruise, even at the most off hours if i got 3 I would be lucky.

Well that's something I'm never paying for. I get 64 down at home, I would be pulling my hairs out at 1 down.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It just depends what you're using it for! I just wanted to be able to access my email and banking at all times and it worked for that. Messaging the fam back home was also nice

Sorry, but there is no way CCL is putting out 15Mb, more like 1.5. I check it every cruise, even at the most off hours if i got 3 I would be lucky.

I'm going on the Fantasy in May, and I'm going to do Speedtests and document time, day and location. I'm hoping smaller ship = fewer people = faster internet :)

Sorry but you are wrong. Like I said I got 15. However this was when internet on ships was less popular.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What do you do in IT? I know they are satellite connections for the network. This would have to be some kind of wireless access point to controller to router setup as everyone except the ships network equipment and the Internet cafe use wifi and not wired connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums