Marigot, St. Martin

RASHOPPER2

I am currently speaking with someone who lives in Marigot. I just asked general questions as I really don’t know him and didn’t want to be too nosey. He is very thankful to be alive and told me that the Dutch side is definitely recovering faster. He said that there are lots of laws on the French side when it comes to removing debris and on the Dutch side you just take it to the dump.

Saw the whole island this past week on a Bernard's Taxi Tour. According to our driver, the difference lies in the way insurance claims are handled by the respective countries, making the French side appear to have greater devastation.

We were in Marigot on the 12/22 Azamara Quest sailing. Yes there is much to clean up but we see the town center vendor tents up selling wares. There are many buildings needing repair but they are strong and they will clean up and rebuild. I was glad we had the opportunity to see the French side.

By the time you reach the French side, you will have driven through so much damage on the Dutch side, it becomes expected.

I wish them all the best in their reconstruction. They are so grateful that visitors are returning.