Any thoughts on comparison between Vista/ Horizon compared to MSC Seaside?

nireg

Trying to decide if it’s a good switch for October cruise since drinks included on MSC but itenerary is different. Does MSC add alot of unknown costs once you’re onboard? I would take balcony on both. Feedback appreciated. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We always choose based on itinerary (mainly because we don't have that many cruises under our belt and want to see new and different places).

We've cruised MSC once (it was the Divina).

In regards to extra costs once on. Not really, IMO.

their pricing for the internet package (at the time we went) was excellent and the speed was very good. (your mileage may vary).

Drink pricing (when they had the 18-coupon book), was like $4.50/drink or thereabouts. Higher end drinks it wouldn't cover (it was basically anything under $9 or $10 I forget which). But MSC no longer offers those any more.

Upcharge for the specialty restaurants (just like everyone else, IMO). But they had a package you could get (or USED to) for like 4 specialty restaurants for like $75? That was a pretty decent value (we were on a 10-night cruise, BTW).

Photos. OMG, very expensive (but probably inline with other cruise lines). If you want photos, make sure to get the expensive photo package and pre-purchase it. (I say "expensive" as there's two packages to choose from).

The issues with MSC, IMO are not the costs, but rather what you get. I'd say expect:

1) Very unorganized customer service. God help you if you have to go there. You'll be blamed for anything (it's your fault of course).

2) You may not get what you pay for. They'll try to tell you that you don't get a digital CD with the photos (if you got the package that had that). They'll tell you you don't get ABC, etc. Make sure you print out everything before you go on the cruise. Especially if you pre-purchased it.

3) Refunds/issues - nightmare. Has to do with the fact they can't actually do anything on the ship. They have to email "corporate" and if you're lucky, it'll get resolved BEFORE you leave the ship.

4) Some folks consider the behavior of the other passengers to be rude. Expect a lot of line cutting, etc. It's a cultural thing, apparently, just know this going in and take a deep breath.

But the pricing is good, it's just not for us. We'll only go again if we can afford the YC. But your experience may be different.

Check out the MSC board and read the Seaside posts to get a better feel for what to expect.

You can see my review there as well (again, this was on the Divina and it was in Dec. of 2016). Unfortunately for the Divina, doesn't look like they've fixed many (if any) of the issues we encountered. But Seaside is a different ship.

We always choose based on itinerary (mainly because we don't have that many cruises under our belt and want to see new and different places).

We've cruised MSC once (it was the Divina).

In regards to extra costs once on. Not really, IMO.

their pricing for the internet package (at the time we went) was excellent and the speed was very good. (your mileage may vary).

Drink pricing (when they had the 18-coupon book), was like $4.50/drink or thereabouts. Higher end drinks it wouldn't cover (it was basically anything under $9 or $10 I forget which). But MSC no longer offers those any more.

Upcharge for the specialty restaurants (just like everyone else, IMO). But they had a package you could get (or USED to) for like 4 specialty restaurants for like $75? That was a pretty decent value (we were on a 10-night cruise, BTW).

Photos. OMG, very expensive (but probably inline with other cruise lines). If you want photos, make sure to get the expensive photo package and pre-purchase it. (I say "expensive" as there's two packages to choose from).

The issues with MSC, IMO are not the costs, but rather what you get. I'd say expect:

1) Very unorganized customer service. God help you if you have to go there. You'll be blamed for anything (it's your fault of course).

2) You may not get what you pay for. They'll try to tell you that you don't get a digital CD with the photos (if you got the package that had that). They'll tell you you don't get ABC, etc. Make sure you print out everything before you go on the cruise. Especially if you pre-purchased it.

3) Refunds/issues - nightmare. Has to do with the fact they can't actually do anything on the ship. They have to email "corporate" and if you're lucky, it'll get resolved BEFORE you leave the ship.

4) Some folks consider the behavior of the other passengers to be rude. Expect a lot of line cutting, etc. It's a cultural thing, apparently, just know this going in and take a deep breath.

But the pricing is good, it's just not for us. We'll only go again if we can afford the YC. But your experience may be different.

Check out the MSC board and read the Seaside posts to get a better feel for what to expect.

You can see my review there as well (again, this was on the Divina and it was in Dec. of 2016). Unfortunately for the Divina, doesn't look like they've fixed many (if any) of the issues we encountered. But Seaside is a different ship.

Thank you for your comments, very much appreciated!

Thank you for your comments, very much appreciated!

You're welcome! IMO, if you like the itinerary and have never sailed on a particular cruise line, give it a try. You might really like it, and you might not.

But at least you'll have ventured into new territory.

Myself, would like to try NCL one of these days, along with Celebrity, Princess, and HAL.

LOL!

Cruised on Vista in November and Seaside last month...so I think I'm qualified to provide some feedback. We stayed in Havana balcony cabin on Vista and YC suite balcony on Seaside.... Literally the same price but YC on Seaside was like being in 1st class while Havana was nice and allowed some privacy (separate pool area until 7pm each day) but was like economy plus. No comparison between the both. I can say both ships offer similar outside activities..... MSC Seaside is much more stylish in design and more of a glitzy/modern feel. Ship seemed huge eventhough Vista and Seaside were similar in size. I think that had to do with all the inside common areas on Seaside having outside views to ocean (lots of windows looking out). WE are Platinum on Carnival...so I know the product they offer. Seaside Food was excellent...but in fairness we ate in YC dining room. Seaside Drink prices, excursion prices, general gift shop prices...were the lowest I've seen on a cruise line.

Based on the current pricing offered by MSC....I would go MSC. They offer several experiences....but they've thrown in beverages for their carribean savings which is a big savings. Either way they are both new/nice ships....However the Seaside definitely gives off a "Wow" vibe!!

Cruised on Vista in November and Seaside last month...so I think I'm qualified to provide some feedback. We stayed in Havana balcony cabin on Vista and YC suite balcony on Seaside.... Literally the same price but YC on Seaside was like being in 1st class while Havana was nice and allowed some privacy (separate pool area until 7pm each day) but was like economy plus. No comparison between the both. I can say both ships offer similar outside activities..... MSC Seaside is much more stylish in design and more of a glitzy/modern feel. Ship seemed huge eventhough Vista and Seaside were similar in size. I think that had to do with all the inside common areas on Seaside having outside views to ocean (lots of windows looking out). WE are Platinum on Carnival...so I know the product they offer. Seaside Food was excellent...but in fairness we ate in YC dining room. Seaside Drink prices, excursion prices, general gift shop prices...were the lowest I've seen on a cruise line.

Based on the current pricing offered by MSC....I would go MSC. They offer several experiences....but they've thrown in beverages for their carribean savings which is a big savings. Either way they are both new/nice ships....However the Seaside definitely gives off a "Wow" vibe!!

Yeah, if you can get the YC for the same price, go for it.

Although I'd be surprised if you can get YC for "literally" the same price.

Nov. 2019 on Carnival Vista for Vista Havana Premium Balcony is $2684.80 for 2 people all-in (taxes/fees)

Nov. 2019 on Seaside YC Deluxe Suite is $4455.12 for 2 people all-in.

Almost double.