NCLA-What time did you board and why?

cruisinHawaii

Well here is one of those questions my husband asked and darn it if I didn't have the answer. We have read alot of reviews where people boarded their NCLA cruise between 12-1 pm...if the ship doesn't leave to later that evening is there some advantage to boarding that early? The reason I ask is my husband wants to enjoy as much of Waikiki as possible.:D

Thanks

Letha

I like boarding early because sometimes you miss a lot of the long lines but mostly so I can look around the ship before the crowds get there, make dinner reservations right away, book spa treatments if I want, and most importantly - have my first cruise meal (lunch). *smile* I have met some really nice people that first afternoon on the ship. People seem friendlier then or something...not sure. You can always check in and then leave the ship and return later if you want.

Emi

SweetEmi hit on this too... you can always board the ship, deposit your carry ons in your cabin and then get back off the ship. Accomplishes a couple of things...one, you don't have to lug your luggage and carry ons all over Honolulu and two, by turning your luggage in earlier, you will get it earlier in the evening.

Also, why not board at 12 p.m., enjoy lunch on the ship in the dining room or buffet and then get off again. You have already paid for that lunch with your cruise fare.

We boarded the ship at about noon. To be honest, the main reason we did this is because we had nowhere else to go- we had to be out of our Waikiki hotel by noon, and didn't want to drag our suitcases around Honolulu while sightseeing. So we headed to the ship and checked in, and had the added bonus of having no lines.

That said, we could very well have gotten off the ship and explored Honolulu and then re-boarded later, but we didn't want to. We just explored the ship, relaxed, etc.- we also stayed in Honolulu for a week after the cruise, which is why we weren't overly motivated to go sightseeing for the few hours before the ship left.

• Administrators

We spent some time on Oahu prior to our cruise (2 days, 2 nights) and after visiting Pearl Harbor at o'dark'thirty on the morning we embarked, we were ready to get on the ship and let the vacation commence! We boarded our ship between 12 and 1, got a foofoo drink (my personal barometer of "YES! I'm on vacation!"), made dinner reservations, booked some internet time, listened to live entertainment, got a ship map and walked around to get oriented, went to our cabin when it was available, checked that all out, unpacked our carryons (and the luggage that had been delivered to that point), attended muster drill, went to a hula show, and by then ... oops, it was time to head to dinner. After dinner we went up to the sailaway party, and enjoyed the lights of Honolulu before returning to our cabin to finish unpacking the rest of the luggage. There is a lot to do on the ship before sailaway (notice I didn't even mention the pool and hot tubs, which are also open).

Our experience won't be everyone's -- we knew this MIGHT be our one and only trip to Hawaii, so we went in a couple of days ahead and "did" a little of Oahu prior to boarding the ship. If we hadn't, I probably would have tried to figure out something to see on Oahu between embarkation and sailaway.

Like others, we like to eat a leisurely lunch and explore the ship while it's still relatively uncrowded, but for Hawaii, if there are things you would like to explore on Oahu, heck, board later-no problems! Or go ahead & board early & get back off the ship-it's all good!

I'm not as familiar with what is around the new pier for the Prides. I have been there 3 times I think, twice on debarkation and once on embarkation but never went anywhere. My friend though did walk from there to the Aloha Tower and after walking all that way found out there is a shuttle from one pier to the other - so she shuttled back. Across the street from the new pier is "Restaurant Row" from what I understand and I did see a movie theater and lots and lots of tall buildings over there. At Aloha Tower there are lots of shops to explore and very near is Chinatown.

Here is a map of the harbor http://www.state.hi.us/dot/harbors/honolulu.htm

Here is a WONDERFUL map a fellow cruise critic posted one time http://tgi.glhserver.com/Oahu/ Pier 2 is at the end of Channel Street according to NCL's website.

Emi

Archived