Fantasy dry dock in January 2019. What to expect ?

L1211

Cruised the Victory in March for our first Carnival Cruise since the 80s and LOVED it!! My husband wasn’t on that cruise, but Two weeks later we cruised RCI Harmony of the Seas and enjoyed it too. The DH has only sailed the large Away class NCL ships and now Oasis class on RCI. Not sure how much of a shock to the cruise system the older Fantasy would be after only sailing mega ships.

I love cruising! Considering working on a group cruise on the Fantasy in late February. Crazy good price for a 5 day sail to Mexico and we can drive to the port. No brainer? Except not sure what to expect from the oldest ship in the carnival family. What will they do in dry dock? Any ideas?

Have never sailed in anything but a balcony cabin but do not think I’d spring for a “suite” which looks just like a typical balcony. Maybe an OV? Rooms look small but especially on a group cruise, I’d expect us to spend little time in the cabin. And, had balconies for the two March cruises and rarely used them. But the cabins do appear really small.

One more question. For some reason, the Fantasy is switching ports from Costa Maya, one of my all time favorite ports, to Progresso. Don’t know much about it but find that disappointing. But assume we’d find a beach with a bar and life would be good.

Appreciate any thoughts or feedback on your experiences. Any speculation on a 2.5 week dry dock by carnival would also help! Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This will pretty much the passenger ship equivalent of an oil change - Fantasy goes to dry dock every 24-36 months for hull, propeller, and engine maintenance. There will be routine hotel maintenance such as replacing carpet in public areas. You may see one of the bars rebranded as Alchemy Bar, and Special Occaisions May become Cherry on Top, but most of the Funship 2.0 program was implemented in 2016.

The real wildcards will be adding USB ports to cabins - which is being done on other ships as they come in for dry dock - and upgrading of the Photo Gallery to digital. Given Fantasy’s age, and the new much larger ship (6600 guests versus 2675 for Fantasy) coming online in 2020, this may be a sign of whether Carnival plans to keep Fantasy in the fleet beyond 2020.

Sigh... thank you. Makes sense. Mobile is the only port within an easy drive and the best chance to get a bunch of fun friends in a van then on a ship! That leaves the fantasy. Have you sailed her? Anything like the victory? Loved that!! Even when compared to the mega ships...

We sailed the Fantasy in November. Four adult women who booked an ocean view but received an upsell to a grand suite. Oh life was good. More room. Walk in closet. Hung out on the balcony. Had a whirl pool tub and fridge. And our room had the USB ports. It really spoiled us.

We sailed the Fantasy in November. Four adult women who booked an ocean view but received an upsell to a grand suite. Oh life was good. More room. Walk in closet. Hung out on the balcony. Had a whirl pool tub and fridge. And our room had the USB ports. It really spoiled us.

Hmmm. You make a compelling case!!!