Floods and rain in Livorno

Spudder

I am currently in Rimini on the Adriatic side. My Italian language skills are just passable, but from what I understand from Italian tv and newspapers, the areas with the most damage, and seven deaths, was to the south of Livorno. The rail line heading south from Livorno was damaged, and they are telling people who want to go to Rome to take the line up to Florence first and then over to Livorno. This makes me thinks that for most cruisers who want to go to Pisa/Florence-the usual transportation options would be available, since they run to the north. The ferries are still running from Livorno to Sardegna, so I'd also guess that cruise ships will be able to use the port. The forecast for that area is sun for the next few days, so that should help with the clean up.

So sorry to hear of the loss of lives in LIvorno. Mother Nature has been on a warpath worldwide it seems.

We will be taking a train from LaSpezia to Civitavecchia in a little under a month. I tried searching to see the routing of Frecciabianca 35053 and the best I could find was a map that seems to show Livorno as being enroute. Is this correct? If so, what is the likelihood that the tracks will be repaired by then?

The death toll in Livorno is up to eight but this slightly older report from yesterday, in English, gives you more information on the storm. It's going right down the coast and has impacted Rome and Naples as well: http://www.ansa.it/english/news/2017/09/11/six-dead-two-missing-in-livorno-floods-2_3cca5c7a-6942-4d7d-a811-249f89b49639.html

Edited by euro cruiser

Hi again, I just arrived in Civitavecchia by train from Rimini. The trains are on time and running up the coast towards Livorno, La Spezia, Genoa...

As I said in my previous post, my Italian language skills are far from perfect. I heard that the rail line was closed, which I probably assumed meant damaged, but more likely it was just closed for two days as a precaution. Everything in Civitavecchia looks normal, not even any puddles in the fields. The front desk tagent told me that 'All of Rome was flooded on Sunday'. There are two large ships docked in the harbour. Tomorrow I am boarding NCL Epic, and our first stop will be Livorno on Thursday...