we had a great time on MSC

Seago2

OK, everyone... I know most of us have had excellent cruises on MSC ships. Please take the time to post a memory or two, or a lasting impression, or a meal you ate. There have been a few negative threads lately... nothing wrong with that! I like to read all reviews and get a sense of what's out there before I book. But let's take this space to list some positives!

Looking forward to your thoughts-

How was this cruise compared to NCL Spirit?

Let's see..... the fist time I was on the Spirit was the best cruise of my life. I went with my mother for five days out of Miami. You can click on the first Spirit link below to read the review. The third time I went with two of my kids and it was a great time, but so unbelievably overcrowded that it although we loved it, it wasn't "the best."

The second Spirit cruise was the best cruise ever! It was just the two of us. We cruised down from NYC- that was our first time under the Verrazano Narrows bridge, first sail out of NYC, first cruise together. I love the Spirit and I chose it to be DH's first cruise because I knew I could trust it to deliver the goods. Such a beautiful ship, so understated- anyhoo, read my review under my second Spirit link.

We went on MSC Lirica last year. I didn't write a review because I was so rushed when we got back and I just put it off until it was too late. Lirica is a stunningly beautiful ship. Spotless. The food was excellent. There were a few lows in the dining room, but aren't there always? I remember an inedible split pea soup on Noordam that was absolutely vile. There was a Jamaican Jerk chutney item on Spirit that was disgusting. There was- and I can't get this out of my mind no matter how many times I talk about it- a squid ink risotto with squids all over it on Lirica. Black food. With monsters. In front of me.

I digress.

The mix of nationalities on Lirica made it really feel like we were "away." It was just so cool. We met a lot of great people. One of my best memories was of Cartagena. We just got off the ship and started walking into the city with this other couple, in their 60's, from Canada. We spent the entire day walking around with them- we must have walked 10 miles- okay, maybe 5. Zip lining in Costa Rica????? AWESOME.

I've been in a balcony, OV, and interior on Spirit. All fine. We had an obstructed OV on Lirica. Not great. Not great at all. there are a few of those. They were formerly officer's cabins, and everything was plastic. hard to describe- just don't get an OBS OV.

The public rooms on Lirica are beautiful.... what else can I say here?

Both great!

There was- and I can't get this out of my mind no matter how many times I talk about it- a squid ink risotto with squids all over it on Lirica. Black food. With monsters. In front of me. QUOTE]

This is not the first time you mentioned the black food with monsters in it and each time I howl! It is obvious that you have never tasted squid ink risotto with squid in it but I do suggest you give it a shot because it is heavenly. Put on a blindfold and let your tastebuds soar!!! I sure hope they serve it on the Orchestra next week.

HAVE FUN WITH THE SQUID!!! You will see a LOT of it. I tell you what- when you get your first menu you are going to die laughing at the people who complain about the food. There is so much to order from. You can't even read the whole menu before it's time to order. People told me to stay away from the beef: correct. The seafood is heavenly. I wish I was on the Lirica right now. God, that would be a gift, to be transported right now to the deck of the Lirica at night, walking in the warm wind, listening to people talk quietly and looking at my husband: "Scottish? Was that English with a Scottish accent?" That's all we did. Played Guess the Language.

Have an awesome time. Wait until you see how clean it is.

HAVE FUN WITH THE SQUID!!! You will see a LOT of it. I tell you what- when you get your first menu you are going to die laughing at the people who complain about the food. There is so much to order from. You can't even read the whole menu before it's time to order. People told me to stay away from the beef: correct. The seafood is heavenly. I wish I was on the Lirica right now. God, that would be a gift, to be transported right now to the deck of the Lirica at night, walking in the warm wind, listening to people talk quietly and looking at my husband: "Scottish? Was that English with a Scottish accent?" That's all we did. Played Guess the Language.

Have an awesome time. Wait until you see how clean it is.

Thanks, Carla. I can smell the squid cooking now in the yummy extra virgin olive oil with all that beautifully browned garlic in it!! My kids eat it too but that's probably because my DH is an Italian chef and they've just grown up with it.

I appreciate your post and I'm all excited to go.

This is not the first time you mentioned the black food with monsters in it and each time I howl! It is obvious that you have never tasted squid ink risotto with squid in it but I do suggest you give it a shot because it is heavenly. Put on a blindfold and let your tastebuds soar!!! I sure hope they serve it on the Orchestra next week.

Carla is not the only one to have been squeamish about this dish - it's always appeared on every MSC cruise I've been on and I've nevr even got as far as seeing what it looks like. So if you like this, I'm sure you are not going to be dissappointed as it is bound to appear on the menu at some point (unless all the changes to suit American tastes have caused it to be removed)

I just returned from the Lirica a couple of days ago and just posted a review as a separate thread. I had a really good time. Fabulous entertainment and lovely ship.

And there IS a lot of squid, (calamari and cuttlefish) and octopus as choices. I happen to really like all of them, finding them much tastier and more tender than the beef. Indeed the only really bad thing I had to eat in those 10 days was the filet. If you order filet mignon, you might want to bring a chain saw. But there are so many other choices it really isn't an issue.

I was on the Opera in March 2006 and my fondest memory is of the 7 different risottos that were on the dinner menu.

The "infamous" squid one - very good!

The lemon infused one - I was apprensive about ordering it, but it was excellent.

But my overall favourite was the truffle oil and pumpkin.

Then there was the Baba Au Rhum - This is an Italian dessert (no you won't find it on the menu at the Olive Garden) , and sadly they only offerred it the one evening. The best I have ever had!

And one last thing, at the Gala Midnight Buffet, there was a a table with just prosciutto on it...tons and tons of prosciutto - and good quality too, from either San Daniele or Parma.

Being of Italian origin I found the Italian food excellent - it is the type you will find in Italy at restaurants where Italians eat, not the typical tourist type retaurants.

I would go back just for the risotto!

I was on the Opera in March 2006 and my fondest memory is of the 7 different risottos that were on the dinner menu.

The lemon infused one - I was apprensive about ordering it, but it was excellent.

Then there was the Baba Au Rhum - This is an Italian dessert (no you won't find it on the menu at the Olive Garden) , and sadly they only offerred it the one evening. The best I have ever had!

And one last thing, at the Gala Midnight Buffet, there was a a table with just prosciutto on it...tons and tons of prosciutto - and good quality too, from either San Daniele or Parma.

Being of Italian origin I found the Italian food excellent - it is the type you will find in Italy at restaurants where Italians eat, not the typical tourist type retaurants.

Now I'm really excited! Risotto, seafood and prosciutto de parma all in one cruise. Fantastico!!!

Now you have my attention! I can't wait to sample the cuisine.

I'm looking for something different, hence booking with MSC.

Could you enlighten me as to the dress code? I'm hoping casual mean no sport jacket required.

Now you have my attention! I can't wait to sample the cuisine.

I'm looking for something different, hence booking with MSC.

Could you enlighten me as to the dress code? I'm hoping casual mean no sport jacket required.

FYI, I'm attaching the MSC Dress Code policy as published in the ship's daily program. I would not say that I observed strict adherence to this policy; however, the policy establishes their intent.

1248468316_MSCDressCode.jpg.70ee47e0113ef383f4e18c05a31c058b.jpg

The best cruise we ever had in 13 cruises. Each show was more incredible than the next. The entertainment staff if you get involved become like friends. The food is glorious and different. I loved not being bothered for a drink at all times when out at the pool. The beauty of the ship.... I can go on.... I found a new love in this cruise line....

I love your passion about the Orchestra. Your reviews were wonderful and I appreciate everything that you have had to say about the ship's beauty, entertainment- just everything. You have put yourself "out there" to answer all the multitude of questions that have come your way. I am so looking forward to my cruise in just 46 days.....and without an ounce of hesitation or worry that some in my group might be less than happy at the end of it all. As I have shared some of the comments with a few that are cruising with me they showed disbelief at what some have said. Thank you for your reviews and for hanging in there to answer the questions. You are great!

I agree 100%-- heck I agree 200%!!

I got SO sick of "the drink of the day" that would ask us non-stop... it got very annoying!

My other pet peeve are the picture takers.... stop it already!

I just want to chill, swim with my dd, and laugh at her terriozing her dd!!:cool:

The 8 types of risotto sounds great. Has anyone sailed on the Orchestra recently, in the Caribbean ? Do they have the selection of risottos ? How about the proscuitto ? Parmigiana Reggiano ?? Any sign of truffles ? (the underground ones from Alba, not the chocolate ones)

Although I've not been on the Orchestra, MSC always have a pasta/risotto course at every dinner and they are different each evening. they usually feature a different region of Italy each evening with the speciality from there. It doesn't matter whether they are sailing in the caribbean - it is just part of the evening dinner format. Not sure I've ever seen truffles though - truffle oil yes but not the actual truffles themselves. Yes to the Parmesan too - invariably offered with the past dishes. I think the Parmigiana melazane is very good (baked aubergine aka eggplant) and has appeared on every MSC cruise I've been on. The Emilio romano Lasagne is fairly tasty too

They had a 7 course meal each night. ANd some complained there was not enough to eat.

It was wonderful and I never felt stuffed. Everything was mouth watering delicious. Oh my, the lamb was to die for. The crown roast was better on MSC than on X that we took the week before. The eggplant the best i ever ate. The risotto and pasta was always a treat. If you wanted it as a side ask and they put it with your entree. Once he told me it would not go well and he prefered to served it separately. I had wonderful service.

Thanks Agentgirl for the kind words. We are going on Poesia and if anyone would like to get more info for that cruise pls email me : Picard2117@cox.net

Archived