re currency on a grand European river cruise

wetride

I'm not really following the logic here...

When you use one at the airport you are usually just about to leave the area completely via taxi or other means...

When you use a bank lobby you are usually on foot and much easier to follow if that is what is bothering you...

I usually need cash right away and get some from the airport ATM and supplement later on the trip as needed. No need to ever walk around with a wad of cash and you should be alert to pick pockets everywhere.

Go to the website for your card's provider and look for "Locations". My card's website allows you to input an address (your hotel) and gives directions on how to get to nearby ATMs that accept my card.

Your card will have a logo on it - and any ATM with that logo will accept your card. Of course, not all will do it without a fee - but that it something you need to figure out before you go. Our bank has articulation agreements with many banks in Europe (ie: Barclays, PNP Paribas, Deutchebank) - so as long as I use those machines, I am not charged a fee.

Also, choose the option that has the bank calculate the exchange rate; don't choose the option to have the machine do the conversion in the spot. The bank calculated rate is supposed to be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't understand what you mean with this? When I take money out of an ATM, I get money in the local currency. There is no exchange rate mentioned. The exchange is calculated using that day's rate by my personal bank, and that amount is pulled out of my account right then. It is a bit confusing if you ask for a receipt and it has a bank balance on it - as it gives the balance in local currency.

For credit card transactions, they may ask you if you wish the transaction to be in "home" currency (ie; CDN or US dollars) or local currency. ALWAYS choose local currency. If you choose your home currency, the exchange rate is calculated using what the shop has identified as the exchange rate - not what current bank exchange rates are.

I always take some money with me - but usually just enough to "get started" - and then get more from an ATM. Any of the local guides can tell you where the ATMs are - as can many of the crew. After all, they often have been to those spots more than once.

Fran

I don't understand what you mean with this? When I take money out of an ATM, I get money in the local currency. There is no exchange rate mentioned. The exchange is calculated using that day's rate by my personal bank, and that amount is pulled out of my account right then. It is a bit confusing if you ask for a receipt and it has a bank balance on it - as it gives the balance in local currency.

For credit card transactions, they may ask you if you wish the transaction to be in "home" currency (ie; CDN or US dollars) or local currency. ALWAYS choose local currency. If you choose your home currency, the exchange rate is calculated using what the shop has identified as the exchange rate - not what current bank exchange rates are.

Fran

Fran, I have run into a few ATMs now which do the exact same thing that you describe for credit cards. The practice seems to be expanding.

The ATM will offer you the option to be charged in dollars, and will quote you an amount in dollars which equates to a poor exchange rate. Decline it, and process the charge in local currency, as you do for a credit card.

The first time it happened to me in Budapest I was half asleep and didn't notice because I was not expecting it. So I got a bit hosed on the exchange rate. In Prague it happened too, but I was looking out for it and didn't get suckered twice.

I have never seen this happen at an ATM in France, Germany, Italy, or other places we've been in the past few years. It may still be relatively rare, or maybe it's more prevalent in Eastern Europe.

Fran, I have run into a few ATMs now which do the exact same thing that you describe for credit cards. The practice seems to be expanding.

The ATM will offer you the option to be charged in dollars, and will quote you an amount in dollars which equates to a poor exchange rate. Decline it, and process the charge in local currency, as you do for a credit card.

The first time it happened to me in Budapest I was half asleep and didn't notice because I was not expecting it. So I got a bit hosed on the exchange rate. In Prague it happened too, but I was looking out for it and didn't get suckered twice.

I have never seen this happen at an ATM in France, Germany, Italy, or other places we've been in the past few years. It may still be relatively rare, or maybe it's more prevalent in Eastern Europe.

I have also noticed this in Hungary and the Czech Republic. To add insult to injury, they offered the choice of local currency (forints or korunas) or to charge me in US dollars even though my debit card is from a Canadian bank. This means that had I chosen dollars, I would have got a bad exchange rate on local to USD and then another charge by my own bank for USD to CAD. You really do have to be careful.

Another bank debit card that is popular - I opened one myself is the CapitalOne 360 checking account and then get a debit card. I'm moving a little bit of money every pay period into that account for the trip. We'll be gone a total of three weeks. This card has no atm fees or foreign transaction fees (much like Charles Swab).

FYI - I do not work for CapitalOne - just a satisfied customer.