Costa Maya: what to do

purple60

I am wondering whether to look for an excursion thru RC for Costa Maya - I have heard not too positive things about the port. Is there a beach close to where the Allure docks? I am on the Feb12, 2011 cruise. Would appreciate any ideas.

Costa Maya is a great port, just take the $3 pp taxi trip to the beach which is 5 mins from the port. White Sand , Cheap Water sports and $20 per hour on the beach massage, what more could you ask for. There are loads of bars and restaurants along the beach, try to avoid the sellers that want to sell you a beach day at the port, you simply do not need to be tied to one place, simply walk among the broadwalk and select where you want to stop. :D

I am wondering whether to look for an excursion thru RC for Costa Maya - I have heard not too positive things about the port. Is there a beach close to where the Allure docks? I am on the Feb12, 2011 cruise. Would appreciate any ideas.

We love Costa Maya; if you go outside the gate at the shopping area just take a bus to Majahual (about ten minutes and $3) away. The beach is wonderful and they have lounge chairs and also tables & umbrellas where you can order drinks and food. There are taxis available to come back to the ship and they are also very reasonable.

We're booked on the April 10 sailing of the Allure. If we end up going to Costa Maya we are definitely going to book a day at the Maya Chan Resort. We sailed on the Oasis last year and went there and it is a great place. Sadly, we were rained out very early in the day. The owner immediately gave us a refund. We really regretted not getting to spend the day there. If we get the chance in April we're going there for sure.

We're booked on the April 10 sailing of the Allure. If we end up going to Costa Maya we are definitely going to book a day at the Maya Chan Resort. We sailed on the Oasis last year and went there and it is a great place. Sadly, we were rained out very early in the day. The owner immediately gave us a refund. We really regretted not getting to spend the day there. If we get the chance in April we're going there for sure.

The Allure is not scheduled to get in port until 12 noon and will depart at 7pm. Having been there before, do you think this short period of time (minus travel time and arriving back at the ship an hour early) is worth $49/pp plus the $10 (assuming group price) for the taxi?

You opinion is appreciated.

Costa Maya is a great port, just take the $3 pp taxi trip to the beach which is 5 mins from the port. White Sand , Cheap Water sports and $20 per hour on the beach massage, what more could you ask for. There are loads of bars and restaurants along the beach, try to avoid the sellers that want to sell you a beach day at the port, you simply do not need to be tied to one place, simply walk among the broadwalk and select where you want to stop. :D

ChipLondon, please elaborate some if you will. Is the beach 5mins from the port the only beach and therefore is unmistakable and understood by the locals as "the" beach when people request to be taken to the beach or is there a particular beach you are referencing? The $20/hr massage sounds very inviting.

Thanks for any clarification you make.

Go to Maya Chan Beach Resort - they arrange to pick you up, bring you back, full day at the beach, food and drinks included, private palapas and sun beds. Had a fab time there when we were there off the Allure.

attachment.php?attachmentid=179935&stc=1&d=1294571706attachment.php?attachmentid=179936&stc=1&d=1294571706

IMG_0643mayachan.jpg.5f3b4342da78387ec3eb5723f9ebc133.jpg

IMG_0645Maychan.jpg.709856b6d674591007af183e8205f459.jpg

Maya Chan - great service, better drinks - from sodas to margaritas, great lunch which included fajitas, chips&salsa, etc. I took these pics right before we were leaving and it had just started to cloud over. Your basic water sports included too like kayaking, snorkelling, biking on the beach.

attachment.php?attachmentid=179937&stc=1&d=1294572029attachment.php?attachmentid=179938&stc=1&d=1294572029

mayach.jpg.01138bbf073fa37708bb4480fb93433d.jpg

mayachan.jpg.6e9a881b81b0c2f156fbb9ef05382d40.jpg

We booked an excursion for Chaccoben Mayan Ruins Tour through Native Choice for $50 each. We had a great guide and we were all very happy and satisfied with the tour.

The drive to the ruins takes you thrugh pineapple fields. We stopped at one of the roadside stands and bought baggies of fresh pineapple for $1.

Judy

i agree, only a pool there and lots of bugs...i got bit for the first time in my life ever.

That pool was disgusting - people were swimming away while the slimey coating floated to the edges of the pool.

I absolutely love Costa Maya. I have been there twice and love going to Majahual. There are great places to get massages (very inexpensively). Great places to sit and have drinks in the swings at the bars. Love, love, love Costa Maya. And as Chip said, only about 3 dollars for a cab ride. About 5 minutes from the port. Can't wait to go back again!!!:p

Yes "The Beach" is well known, get dropped at the second drop off, andwalk along the prom. There is a great bar/restaurant called Pez Quadro or something like that (translates as 40 Canons ) it is a really cool place, free Wifi good food, and frozen drinks. The massage is all along the beach, negotiate well the $20 for an hour is easy to get, for a couple we got $30 for both of us, then we tipped well.

ChipLondon, please elaborate some if you will. Is the beach 5mins from the port the only beach and therefore is unmistakable and understood by the locals as "the" beach when people request to be taken to the beach or is there a particular beach you are referencing? The $20/hr massage sounds very inviting.

Thanks for any clarification you make.

DSC03135.jpg.6cbcf4e62eecc5bcaac8402349d4ec33.jpg

DSC03139.jpg.ad2a40bc7019618cd91b9921c52dc3ab.jpg

DSC03130.jpg.3848e4229716092beb2ad1acb175141b.jpg

Cruzntime -

I believe the transportation to and from Maya Chan is included as is food and drink. For me 4 or 5 hours would be fine but that might not be long enough for your group. I contacted Maya Chan to make a tentative reservation in case our April 10 sailing gets diverted to Costa Maya. They told me they booked up completely within 30 minutes after the March 17 cruise was diverted so you may not be able to get a reservation. I know they have a limit on reservations. It is a very nice place, owned by some folks from California.

Jane

"Costa Maya" as a port is not very impressive- but as many have mentioned, if you are willing to wander off the beaten path, you will find a wonderful, relaxing city of Majahual. They have a promenade on the beach that you can walk down and pick your palapa, restaurant and waiter :) Then the sun will be there, the shade if you want it, drinks and guacamole, what else could you need? Spend the $6 to get there in a cab- so worth it.

Maya Chan is also very nice. If you check out their website, they have a webcam, look at it during the week sometime and you'll see what people are raving about!

Archived