Absinthe anyone?

Eqty

I was wondering if anyone on either a Western or Eastern Caribbean route has ever purchased, or even seen, absinthe for sale on any of the islands. It's a green liquor made from anise and wormwood distilled primarily in France and the Czech Republic, and is illegal in the US (probably beacuse it's a second cousin to strychnine.) The closest thing I've been able to find in the states is Pernod. Thanks in advance for your help.

There are very few makers of real absinthe in the world anymore. You'll have to go deep into the Czech republic to find it and expect to dish out more than $200. Most of todays distillations are not distilled with the wormwood which brings out the active chemicals, but infused with it which does rarely more than give it a bitter taste. To "see the green fairy" you would likely have to drink the whole bottle in one sitting which would more than likely make you vomit up any of the chemical before you could absorb it. But good luck trying!!!!!!

D

I almost forgot. You can get the exact (or stronger) same effect by drinking an entire bottle of Robotussin. It's equally as pleasureable and a hell of a lot cheaper. Hell, why don't you just go to your nearest cow pasture and hunt shrooms!!! It's free and you don't get the wicked side effects. Maybe a little vomiting, but you won't care at the time.

D

Is that the same type of worm they put in those Mexican beers

It's an actual plant. And they don't put worms in beer. It's in Mezcal (or Mescal) which is made from the agave plant and is similar to tequila, but not made from the same agave plant (Tequila is made from the blue agave).

They even have Mezcal with a scorpion in it now... :eek:

Last year I found absinthe( the new formula) in several shops in STM. It was about $30 a bottle. The taste is like Pernod or any of the pastis available there but green and perhaps a little stronger. I guess you could mix grewen Chartreuse w/ Pernod for a similar medicinal flavor. I like New Orleans made Herbsaint as a licorice cordial or pastis. Of course it is an interesting item to have on your bar at home. I think they sell 375 ml bottles as well as ltrs.

• 3 weeks later...

*absinthe* Yes I have seen the green fairy and I just ordered another bottle. I can pass along the address that ships straight from Europe to the US. I reside in Atlanta. However I do not know if Cruise Lines offer it, or if I can bring my own bottle....If anyone can answer that for me, I would appreciate it. In the meantime please feel free to email me.

Happy Sails

tahiti

• 2 weeks later...
It's an actual plant. And they don't put worms in beer. It's in Mezcal (or Mescal) which is made from the agave plant and is similar to tequila, but not made from the same agave plant (Tequila is made from the blue agave).

They even have Mezcal with a scorpion in it now... :eek:

:eek: yikes, what will they think of next :rolleyes:

• 6 years later...
I was wondering if anyone on either a Western or Eastern Caribbean route has ever purchased, or even seen, absinthe for sale on any of the islands. It's a green liquor made from anise and wormwood distilled primarily in France and the Czech Republic, and is illegal in the US (probably beacuse it's a second cousin to strychnine.) The closest thing I've been able to find in the states is Pernod. Thanks in advance for your help.

I've bought it at liquor stores here in Ft. Lauderdale. It's no longer banned in the U.S. It was for a hundred years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived