Eagle Beach - Shade and drinks

SugarStar00

Just another warning, we made the mistake of going shopping before heading to Eagle Beach, we got a taxi from the port and just asked for Eagle Beach it cost 5 US Dollars each, one way. he agreed to pick us up at a designated time. We arrived around midday, the beach was packed and the guy with sun loungers just laughed at us when we requested one. He said they were all reserved for afternoon cruise passenger excursions. We ended up laying on the sand with our towels. Only shade under trees was very close to the car park and lots of rubbish around. Hardly the Caribbean idyllic afternoon in Aruba we had envisaged. Most of my party were in their 70's so this just wasn't ideal. There was a very strong wind that was also blowing the sand around which would have been a problem if you were up higher on a lounger We gave up after an hour and went back to ship. Such a shame, I had always wanted to visit Aruba after being told they have the best beaches in the world. One thing puzzled me, if clearly there is a need for more loungers and in particular umbrellas, why doesn't some entrepreneur invest in some more as the allocation on there at the moment is completely outstripped by the demand.

Has anyone ever tried to bring on one of those smallish pup tents that they make for sitting on sidelines at kids soccer games? I have one and it’s a bit too long to fit into a large piece of luggage, but could probably be brought in its carry case as a carry on.

I actually like sitting in the sun and don’t mind laying on a sandy towel, but it could be nice to have the tent if it’s not a big hassle, especially as a place to keep cameras and stuff out of the sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Has anyone ever tried to bring on one of those smallish pup tents that they make for sitting on sidelines at kids soccer games? I have one and it’s a bit too long to fit into a large piece of luggage, but could probably be brought in its carry case as a carry on.

I actually like sitting in the sun and don’t mind laying on a sandy towel, but it could be nice to have the tent if it’s not a big hassle, especially as a place to keep cameras and stuff out of the sun.

I’ve always wondered if it’s OK to travel

With one of those, too! They fold up super compact and they’re light to carry!

I’ve always wondered if it’s OK to travel

With one of those, too! They fold up super compact and they’re light to carry!

They seem like they should be ok. They are kind of long, but very narrow. They’d fit in the overhead bin behind or on top of the rest of the luggage. Easier to transport than an umbrella stroller.

Southwest Airlines lists their carry-on luggage restriction as 24” x 16” x 10” (inches) long, but also says “50 linear inches,” so I wonder if they make exceptions for something that is longer than 24”, but much smaller in all the other dimensions.

There is always a breeze blowing in Aruba, some days stronger than others. Make sure your tent can stay anchored.

There is always a breeze blowing in Aruba, some days stronger than others. Make sure your tent can stay anchored.

My thoughts exactly . The winds this past week have been extremely fierce.

Good point, I guess bringing a tent is a bad idea (at least for Aruba), because it would just catch wind like a kite. It does have stakes, but a strong wind could probably still take it off the ground.

Eagle Beach-Amsterdam Manor is the only way to go. Take the city bus right across from the port, it's too easy. Get there early so you can rent a chair, hut thingy. Spent the day there several times, was there in Dec. 2016, spent the whole day on Eagle sat at the Amsterdam Manor beach bar ate and drank all day, bar tab was scary I had the best time ever doing it again this Dec. Aruba is consistently one of my favorite really fun islands, Iguana Joe's before getting back on the ship is a must. Pitter the bartender at the bar upstairs makes some of the best mojito's in the Caribbean. I hate leaving that island.