Do we have to book specialty dining in advance?

Cozmic206

We're leaving Sunday on Escape to Bermuda. Wondering how the specialty dining works? Can we book it on the ship? We honestly have no game plan for sea days and just want to go with the flow so I was hoping I could just book reservations the day of if available.

As some mentioned, it depends on the time and size of the party. We typically go with the flow but pre-book for any special occasion like birthdays or anniversary...

IMO, only Moderno has been worth the upcharge to me. We were not impressed with Cagney's or La Cucina, at least not enough to go back again.

Definitely differing opinions as Modernos has been removed from most ships. IOHOs, the only redeeming feature of M was the salad bar. Now, if they put the salad bar with Cagney’s... WOW !!

I agree. La Cucina is a restaurant I want to love. Its not bad but I just don't see the difference between the food there and the buffet or MDR. Its good but what I would expect at any MDR. Several years ago when La Cucina was only $10 it was an easy rationalization. Maybe being married to an Italian is the issue with me :o Every pasta dish there is boiled box pasta and can based sauce. Its good but not worth the upcharge IMHO. I suppose someone is going to chime in with their beef or fish dishes. I cant comment on those. I'm talking about their pasta dishes. I have had better pasta at the buffet. That is not a crack at La Cucina but a compliment to the buffet. Last time on Getaway the gnocchi in the MDR was much better than La Cucina. We complimented them about it and they looked at us like we had 2 heads :o

Back to the bookings. The only restaurants I would pre-book is Teppanyaki and Cagneys. Cagneys gets full pretty quick these days. Teppanyaki is limited space.

wow, we love la Cucina. No, it is really out of the world? No, but the atmosphere alone makes it special on some of the ships. It certainly is a step up from say, Olive Garden.

As for when to book what? We always do wait until we board the ship. One of the first things we like to do is book our restaurant reservations. Le Bistro, like Cagney's does fill up pretty fast.

Definitely differing opinions as Modernos has been removed from most ships. IOHOs, the only redeeming feature of M was the salad bar. Now, if they put the salad bar with Cagney’s... WOW !!

you say "most ships" That has not been our experience. Yes, it has been removed from one or two and yes, according to what we heard on our last cruise, just 6 weeks ago, Modernos is on its way out, but so far, I wouldn't say "most ships"