Grandeur of the Sea Flop Cruise to bermuda? 9/10

tracyinva

Slim to none. They very, very rarely cancel cruises. What is more likely is that if Florence is blocking the way you would go somewhere else. I'm not sure what the options are from Baltimore, but I know last year a 5-night Bermuda cruise from New Jersey was diverted to Canada because that was the only foreign ports they could reach on a 5 day cruise.

Be aware though that you are 5 days out from your cruise. They are not certain of the path that Florence will take at the moment. It is possible that it could fall apart, or change paths.

We are on the same cruise!! Not looking too good.

If they change the port before you leave, do they give you the option to change your cruise date? Anyone know that?

Going to Canada rather than Bermuda is a BIG difference...

Hi Tracy, I see you followed my link from the hurricane site.

It all depends on how fast, and strong the storm is going to be.

RCCL might not know for sure until Saturday night/ Sunday Am what they are doing.

Cruise ships have to hit a foreign port.

Bahamas isn't much of an choice in this case since they don't know what she is doing yet.

Have some other clothes ready and hope it moves quick or you will be doing the northern route.

Keep an eye open for updates

Pack your sweatshirts. It's chilly in Canada this time of year.

DON'T WANT TO HEAR THAT! If we do, the wife is going to have to except that we will be going on another cruise somewhere with a beach VERY soon..

DON'T WANT TO HEAR THAT! If we do, the wife is going to have to except that we will be going on another cruise somewhere with a beach VERY soon..

Basically we are just saying be prepared. At this point, nobody knows what will happen. Most likely you will make it to Bermuda, but if you do end up going to Canada do you really want to be there without anything warm to wear? Baltimore is further south than NJ. If you can't go to Bermuda, you might end up on a cruise to nowhere instead of going to Canada. You might end up going to he Bahamas. At this point nobody knows. Keep positive and hoping that the weather will turn out great and you'll make it to Bermuda instead of worrying about the what might happens, that might not even materialize.

because I won't have time to repack my suitcase by the time they decide what to do or what will happen and I don't think the clothes I have packed are warm enough!!!! I did feel a little better after reading the previous poster speak of sailing last year between hurricanes on smooth waters. The thing that yanks my chain is that it isn't often that they say the storms are headed STRAIGHT FOR BERMUDA!!!!!! The caribbean or east coast, yeah, but not often Bermuda because of where it is in the Atlantic. Now it looks like this one is headed straight for our island paradise. I guess the storm heard that I was trying to orchestrate a nice family vacation!!!! :eek: All kidding aside, I'm very unhappy about this but I do plan to make the best of the cruise no matter what and I know being with loved ones will be great no matter where we are!:rolleyes: If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'll consider myself lucky! :) (I'm REALLY trying to talk myself out of pouting and being ticked off like this :mad: !!!!)

Funny! I hear your paid MrsNoPlea! Not sure a cruise to no where is much better than Canada. We enjoy getting off the ship.

I'm trying to think positive but everytime the updated maps come out, it's still heading in the direction...

Canada is NOT cold this time of year - just add a set of sweats and a sweater to your suitcase. We went on a Fall Foliage cruise (New England/Canada) in September a couple of years ago - just beautiful. I don't mind warm, sunny days and cool nights a bit! I know you'll enjoy the heck out of your cruise. Just think positively!:D

We are forecasting Bermuda to experience at least tropical storm force winds and heavy rainfall starting later Sunday and Sunday night and lasting into Monday. Florence will make its closest approach to Bermuda late Sunday night or Monday Morning

Maybe we can still squeeze in behind it since we don't arrive until Tuesday? (Again, trying to make myself feel better!:p )

as I look at the storm tracker map, this thing appears to way clear the Bahamas......I think they'd take us there if possible before Canada. I don't mind the Bahamas at all. I think scheduling shore excursions at the last minute would be a nuisance, but we'll deal with it! Nothing a pina colada won't fix, hahahaha!:D

We were on a cruise last year with a hurricane out there and we just travelled around it. I'm not sure of your itnerary, but for example if you are supposed to be in Bermuda on a Monday-- they can take you out past the hurricane and wait until it passes by, and then swing you around behind it and get you to Bermuda on a Wednesday or Thursday. Of course it depends on the path, and the days you are out there if they have time. But even with several hurricanes they can move around them, get ahead of them or behind them.

I've never heard of them cancelling a cruise--unless it was hitting the port the day of Embarkation and even then-- they would just route you to another port for Embarkation. We were supposed to go out of New Olreans right after Katrina and went out of Galveston instead. Good Luck!

Pack your sweatshirts. It's chilly in Canada this time of year.

Well, chilly in some places. It could be that along the Maritime coast, at that time, it will be warm. I'd pack a sweater or jacket just in case...but wouldn't expect chilly weather.

At the moment the western and central provinces are up in the 80's and 90's, forest fires crossing the borders into British Columbia and possibly Alberta;Toronto is in the '70's but the heat wave is on the way here, and there are forest fires burning in the north of the province where it's warm as well.... I was out in shorts and tank top today.:D:D Last week it was chilly because y'all south of the border sent us Ernesto!!

In general it doesn't reallly get chilly until October. We don't *really* live in a deepfreeze up here:eek::)

Fran in Toronto

It's still too early to really know anything, but the 5 day forecast shows the storm near Bermuda on Monday afternoon. So you could slow down and allow the storm to pass, docking later on Tuesday or Wednesday even, but if Bermuda takes a hit from the storm, they will not want any visitors until things are cleaned up.

It happened to us a few years ago.

Fabian hit Bermuda the night before we were to leave.

We didn't know until 8-9 pm that we were not going there.

That was after 20 or so calls to Celebrity asking what was going on.

Things have changed a bit with the cruise lines.

Now they actually update the websites so keep looking there or here.

Half the people on our ship didn't know we were going to Canada.

Pack a few sweatshirt/ pants at least you know things can change.

It wasn't the worst thing in the world to go there. But it wasn't the beach.

I feel your pain and hope for smooth sailing when we go in a week.

Lets hope this storm moves quick.

Is anyone supposed to be headed on Grandeur of the Seas from Balt to Bermuda on 9/10 - 9/15? I booked 6 months ago and now I keep watching florence to see if my cruise plans are down the drains. How

likely is it they would cancel a cruise?

http://www.weather.bm/maps/bwsWTNT21.jpg

You will have rough water anywhere that you travel on the Eastern Atlantic.

This is a very large storm and we are expecting 10' swells on the Jersey Shore by early next week !!!!

Is anyone supposed to be headed on Grandeur of the Seas from Balt to Bermuda on 9/10 - 9/15? I booked 6 months ago and now I keep watching florence to see if my cruise plans are down the drains. How

likely is it they would cancel a cruise?

http://www.theroyalgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060906/NEWS/109060178

FYI

It's still too early to really know anything, but the 5 day forecast shows the storm near Bermuda on Monday afternoon. So you could slow down and allow the storm to pass, docking later on Tuesday or Wednesday even, but if Bermuda takes a hit from the storm, they will not want any visitors until things are cleaned up.

The worst side of a hurrican is the northeast side.. So if it goes to the west of Bermuda, there is a good chance they might still get the worst of it even if they don't get a direct hit.

And to the person that this happened to a few years ago, was that 8-9pm on the day you left or the day before? If the day before, did they give you the chance to pass on the cruise if you wanted to with a refund?

We knew Fabian was going to direct hit Bermuda later that night and Celebrity kept saying we were still going.

Everyone was calling them and they kept saying the same thing.

Finally they told us that it was true we were going to Canada/ Maine.

My cousin is our TA and they never got in touch with her.

Luckily we knew and were able to throw some warmer clothes (remove snorkel stuff) into the suitcases.

Most on the ship didn't and only had tropical clothes.

I make t shirts up for the cruise every year.

This one happened to say Bermuda cruise 03.

We get to the pier and the attendants are handing out papers with the new itinerary on them and then said.. you know you your not going to Bermuda right.

Really, I'm glad we went north. There was no other option for us, another storm was going to form off Carolina so we couldn't go south.

Better to have smooth seas then rough for me. It wasn't all bad, Bar Harbor was nice.

I just didn't appreciate the way it was handled. I think ive mellowed over the years as well.. lol

Maybe because of all that, the cruise lines now try to keep everyone posted on the website.

Its hard for them to change itinerary like they do.

But they have your safely and ship to deal with first.

Sure its not the warm pink sands..... but it was better than work.

There was no choice but to go. No refund or change was an option.

Its in the cruise contract that they can go where they want.

We got a an unofficial hour of drinks or something.

My TA sent a letter and we got a certificate for $100 of next cruise. But we couldnt use it since we went RCCL

I dont know if or what they offer now.

I know it's not the cruise line fault and I know they still want to take the boat out to sea as that is the best place for it during a storm, but they should give you the choice of switching to another cruise during the same time period or something. At this point, I would pay to fly to Florida to take another RC cruise.. But they said it's not an option. So I guess we will see what happens.

I am scheduled for 9/17 to Bermuda on the Explorer, so I have also been following Florence very carefully. But when we booked this cruise a few weeks back DH and I discussed this possibility because we had never sailed during hurricane season. We knew from the start that canada was always a possibility. We have a "just in case" suitcase all set to go with warmer clothes, more pants etc. We are putting it in the car if things look iffy. I know those flying in to port don't have this option but it wouldn't hurt to throw in one or two warmer items.

We actually have been on the Canadian cruise and it was really nice. I have never been to Bermuda so I definitely would be very dissappointed but I would rather be safe.

It is all part of the adventure of sailing during hurricane season.

Sue

We don't sail her till 9/24 but I sure hope this storm spares Bermuda. They had enough trouble the last time it was hit. I haven't been for three years (before the last storm) and I was so looking forward to it.

I sailed the Voyager to Canada one September and it was a very nice trip. I don't remeber it being chilly but this year it has been cold here in the northeast already. Do prepare to bring warm things so you are comfy, just in case.

Archived